The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson I am done with them

dseelig

I have an epson 3880 that died two problems stuck valve leaking out the photo black and a head blew. I went to the Javits Photo Plus show. After being told who to talk to I did, I was informed well you live in a dry climate it will happen after two and a half years? I have a thousand dollar paper weight. I kept it polite and was told to call epson cusotmer relations. I already had and they were not offering any deal. I was told no one there could really help. I told them I have had over 5 epson printers including the 7600 .They told me well write your story down someone will call you. I did not really happy and told them "people come to shows like this to solve there problems" I was told I would be called by Wensday today. I showed up at there booth a day later hoping ot find someone that could help heard this statement form an epson customer service worker, "you again." It was said with total disdain. It has been a few weeks now since I was told I would get a call from Epson and I never did.

jagsiva

Makes you feel any better, I have two paper weights, one about 2 years, and the other just over a year. Lot of known issues, but when you call support it is total shell game.

Meanwhile, my 6 year old Z3100 just keeps humming along with months between uses.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
and I have a 3 year old 9900 that’s hasn’t cleaned enough to require a maintenance tank replacement. And I only print on it a couple of times each month, sometimes go 2 or 3 months without printing.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Funny my hp z 3100 also keeps going.
I have an indestructible Z3200 that keeps itself clean and chugging along. My Epson 3800 has been fine but the 2200 that preceded it resembled a paperweight eventually when it wouldn't ever clear all heads.

stngoldberg

I got lucky buying an Epson 7880 which doesn't have the clogging issues that I read about on other Epson printers. I unplug it for six months every year while I am away from Florida; when I return, I run a cleaning cycle and it runs perfectly for the next five months without additional cleaning cycles and without daily use (sometimes only weekly).
Stanley

Godfrey

My ancient Epson R2400, purchased in October 2005, has now printed over 11,000 photographs of all sizes. The poor old thing has a number of issues now ... I have taped the front-load door closed as the catch and micro-switch no longer work, the auto-feed mechanism no longer auto-feeds reliably, etc. But for the past decade it has worked, and worked, and worked, and worked with very few clogs or issues. It's produced every photograph I've exhibited or sold, every card or promo piece I've mailed, since I put it into service on that date way back when.

I'll either let it die in 2015 or I will retire it. I'll buy another Epson based on this outstanding experience with them. Which one I'm not yet sure of.

G

robertwright

funny MY z3100 keeps chugging along too! I hear it waking up every night at midnight like a thief...

what is it with that thing?

I have a 3800 that also seems to keep on trucking, neither of them get a lot of use.

wish i liked the glossy output from the Z but I never really thought the GLOP worked as well as the Epson encapsulation. If it actually died I think of replacing it but so far....I guess it likes whatever food it steals from the fridge at midnight...:SPAM:

danielmoore

Adding to the anecdotal reports, my 2200 is still clacking away, it gets noisier every year. At one point I did a comparison to a 2400. The 2200 I have ImagePrint for, the 2400 I used their canned profiles. The output from the 2200 was light years ahead in terms of color and tonal accuracy. All tests were done on Ilford High Gloss White Film paper.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Funnily enough I also have Imageprint for the 2200. It totally bummed me out to have to let it go in the end. I just didn't want to pay for the upgrade for my 3800.

Just to be sure that this isn't a hate on Epson, my 3800 has been perfect since day one and still works just fine. If there's anyone I have a hate on it's HP for leaving us high & dry with the Z series when they basically dropped out of the fine art printer business. My Z3200 is just fine but one day I suppose it'll also bite the dust and as much as I like it, HP leave me no upgrade path.

Next printer could be a Canon IPF series I suspect.

routlaw

I have owned several Epson printers and while I think its a great company with excellent customer service in general its doubtful I would ever own another one of their printers. Had the huge Epson 10000, gave the remains of it away to an associate for parts, then the 9600 due to fowled up printer heads that would have cost more to fix than a complete new replacement at the time is setting in our local land fill. Have owned a fistful of desktop Epson printers, all went to the trash can eventually. And this says nothing about the wasted ink, time and dollars spent unclogging inkjet heads.

A few years ago (4-5) with much hand wringing I decided to go with a Canon iPF 8300 replacement and have never looked back… thus far. Customer service has been even better than Epsons the few times I have needed it. I can think of a time or two I have had minor, and I do mean minor head clogs all which were easily fixed with a head cleaning.

However I would be remiss if not mentioning that both printer heads have been replaced but all taken care of by Canon, even though they were out of warranty. I was shocked they did this but wasn't about to argue.

The moral of the story is, these devices are mechanical electrical components and any or all of them can either fail or give us major headaches. But my experience is the Canon's have been on an order of magnitude better than the Epson's in every way. B&W prints truly rival silver gelatin prints on these newer printers. Incredible Dmax and shadow detail.

Hope this helps.

Rob

dseelig

I just talked with Galazers camera store and they a salesperson they keep hearing that epsons custoemr service has gone down hill. Helluva thing when you talk with Epson and the guys tell you to yur face well you live in adry climate its going to fail funny no wrnings when you but the thing.

Don Libby

I too live in what could be considered a dry climate. I've had several Epson, 4000, 9800 and currently 9900 and after figuring out the humidity issues of a very dry Tucson I've had zero issues.

250swb

I have just switched to Canon after the extended warranty expired on my Epson R3000. After the original machine's initial problem of not being able to clear the black feed I had it replaced with two others from the Epson service centre each of which developed the same issue within days. The technician who delivered the last one took two hours to get it running despite it having a fully ticked check list signed off only that morning.

Steve