The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson VFA - VERY Nice

robmac

Did my first color prints with VFA over the last couple of days - VERY impressive. Compared to other matte papers, even premium brands, impressive dmax and saturation. Factory profile is surprisingly good.

All the mattes I've tried as yet tend to have washed-out color and weak blacks - with factory profiles, but with a +10% tweak to saturation, the VFA prints are very color rich, accurate with very rich, deep blacks - and a surprising amount of detail thru the texture.

If anything, you need to be a little careful in handling dark areas. Soft proofing doesn't quite give an accurate idea of just how deep they are. Usually found I needed to lift the darkest zones just a touch - not something I expected to have to do with any matte.

I'm not normally a fan of textured paper (or matte for that matter), but VFA's modest texture almost vanishes under ink, with just enough remaining in the inked areas to give the prints a nice 'depth' or almost micro-3D effect.

Has instantly become my fave color paper