The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 9900 Left Waste Ink Tank

So...I picked up a second-hand 9900 yesterday that "needs a bit of work".

There are a few things wrong with this printer and I'm trying to narrow down the source of the problem(s). Hopefully it can be resurrected...but I'm aware of the uphill battle I'm starting on with the 9900.

One thing that's baffling me is the left-hand waste ink tank/maintenance tank. Mine doesn't seem to be connected to anything (as you can see when you remove the side and back covers...there are no hoses into the tank). Is that normal? What's it there for? And if that's NOT normal, what's it supposed to be connected to?

(empty tank removed)

Notice how clean it is? Notice there are no hoses connected?

jlm

Workshop Member
that printer comes with a back up tank in the left pocket; when the right one fills up, swap

Curious...the Epson manual says "If you have the Pro 9900, check the LCD to determine which tank needs to be replaced (left or right). Note: The printer will not print if one of the maintenance tanks is full. On the Pro9900, the right tank is used more than the left. To maximize tank life, you can switch the tanks."

That would seem to imply that both tanks are used.

kdphotography

Both waste tanks are used on the 7900/9900 series printers (and older Epson wide formats too). The ink spitoon is used more on the right particularly with shorter rolls of media, and the head is parked on the right side, where the capping station is closer in proximity to the right side.

If needed you can swap the tanks to even it out. Or just simply keep replacing the right tank a bit more often. You can also opt for recycling and replace the wadding yourself. There are recycling kits available. You will need the correct waste tank computer chip resetter for your printer model. If you difficulties resetting and have an old Epson printer around that uses the same waste tanks (4800 on up) you can insert the "new" waste tank in that printer and it will reset the chip for you.

Thanks Ken.

Do you happen to have a photo or something that shows how the left tank is connected?

The one in question (see the photo above) is not connected to anything and looks like it never has been.

Perhaps a different sub-model (eg. Stylus Pro 9900 Rev. 2a)?

kdphotography

Sorry no internal photo of the left waste tank workings. Really, all there should be is some sort of electrical connection for the printer to read the left tank "computer chip" which enables the printer lcd to disclose how much room for waste is left in the tank.

I doubt that Epson ever released a model disconnecting the left tank. It's about selling ink. So what better way to sell more ink and waste tanks than providing two spitoons for your printer to spit that liquid gold into....

Seriously though---the left tank makes it more efficient for the printer to print----otherwise the head needs to travel all the way to the right (on large prints) when necessary to use use the waste tank. In its current configuration the printer head simple goes to the closest waste tank....

ken

Don Libby

Pulled out the Epson Stylus Pro 7900/9900 Printer Guide and looked at page 169 under the section "Maintaining and Transporting the Printer" Page 169 addresses "Replacing the Maintenance Tank"

Fourth paragraph on page:

"The Epson Stylus Pro 7900 has one maintenance tank (on the right side), and the Pro 9900 has two (on either side). Replacement tanks are available from Epson (part number C12C890191). See page 12 for details."

Yup...the 9900 definitely has two tanks. I just can't find any info on how/if the left tank is used.

It is electrically connected, as the holder has a chip reader, and there must be two tanks present to run. But, since there seems to be no hose connecting the tank to anything, and nothing that I've seen in any service manual or field technician manual that uses that left tank, this seems really odd.

Duk2

As far as I know, left tank is only used in some kind of borderless printing. So, most of the time is not used.

It is recomended to swap the unused left one, by the right one, when this right one is about 80-90% full.

I cannot speak for all Epson 9900 printers, but the one in front of me does not use the left tank. It is a spare. There are no ink lines to the tank. Period.

kdphotography

Have you tried printing with this printer---or more specifically, tried printing without the left tank in place?

You shouldn't be able to print without a waste tank....

It will not print without the tank installed, as it is electrically connected, just not mechanically connected. There is absolutely no mechanism to pump ink to that tank.

kdphotography

I don't think there is a pump to the left waste tank. It acts more like a spitoon. I wouldn't worry about it as long as the printer works great. The left tank is only used for larger (wide) prints.

ken

Nope...not a "spitoon" either. It does absolutely nothing.

I'm well beyond caring about what or why...it's more of a peculiarity of the machine and I'm attempting to set the record straight and clear up some misinformation.

If you're interested, remove the left side cover (actually quite easy to do), and if your printer is like mine, you'll see the tank holder isn't connected to anything (other than the chip reader).

The only logical explanation I can come up with for this is that Epson wants to ensure you always have a spare tank on hand.

kdphotography

I print wide frequently, and can assure you that the left waste tank is used on my 9900. I do change the left tank, but obviously not as frequently as the right tank.

You are definitely correct in that it is smart to keep a spare tank on hand---if either is full, the printer won't allow you to print further until changed. You can get waste tank recycling kits (much less money than OEM Epson tanks) and simply replace the wadding and reset the chip. Most important---is if the printer is working and giving you great prints!

ken

Ken, if that's the case, then we have different printers (in spite of the "9900" badge).

There is absolutely no way for ink to get into my left waste container...even if it wanted to! lol

Must be a mid-model change then. On the back of my printer, there's a label that says "Model K162A". What's your's say?

kdphotography

Same model number---K162A.

Try peeling off the Epson badge----does it say "Canon" underneath? :ROTFL:

Seriously, not worth fretting over. Hell, better yet if you don't use that left tank. That's one less consumable to have to replace on the printer to run the thing!

ken