The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Modify ICC profile in PS?

JMichael

I have an image file which contains a 256 step gray scale, with each step having equivalent values for R, G, and B. I'm printing this to an Epson glossy fine art paper using the Epson profile for that paper on and Epson 3800. For the most part the output is right on and consistently gray throughout the range. However there is one region that, without reading on my densitometer, I can tell is a few points cyan. Is it possible to tweak the ICC profile by editing in Photoshop? On color.org I found a table listing software for profile management with Photoshop being listed as capable of changing the profile, but most of my searching points to solving the problem of mapping monitor output to print output and calibrating a monitor isn't the answer to this problem.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If I recall correctly, the epson drivers have a B+W mode (Advanced B+W?). Try selecting that from the final dialog.

--Matt

JMichael

Although that may help with the color I suspect it will shift the problem to one of density mapping. Also it won't be useful when color patches are added to the chart.

It doesn't appear possible to apply such a correction globally in PS.

pfigen

It's perfectly normal for a canned output profile like your Epson profile to have some irregularities in an RGB neutral gradient. You typically won't ever see that in a normal color print, even one with significant neutral areas.

If you need perfect (well, close to perfect) neutral rendering, you'll need to make a custom profile of your printer with your paper, or print with Advanced Black and White printing mode, which primarily uses the gray inks with a smattering of the other colors mixed in. ABW will give you a very neutral black and white print on most papers, but if you need to print images that have black and white mixed with color, you have to print as RGB.

I've been making custom profiles from something over fifteen years now and have made countless black and white prints using both methods. Using custom profiles there is almost no difference between an RGB black and white and an ABW black and white aside from the slightly increased d-max on ABW.

If you're going to print ABW, it's best to make a neutral copy of your file, then convert it to sRGB before sending it to the printer. At least if you're using the latest OS's and drivers.

Finally, while you can't edit an ICC profile from within Photoshop, you certainly CAN edit many aspects of almost any ICC profile. The best tool to use (and of course you need a license for it) is the Edit Module in Gretag's ProfileMaker Professional. By far the best ICC edit tool I've ever used, but if you have a good custom profile, you won't have to resort to after the fact editing.