The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Strange 9890 nozzle check issue

faneuil

I am used to maintaining my epson 9890 and a recent nozzle check shows *no* cyan printing at all. ran a cleaning, did the magic windex pad treatment and this did not change the situation.

Oddly, I printed my standard test images, including 'purge' files from Epson Stylus Pro 9890 Support Page | Printer Purge Files, Settings, Tips & Inkjet Head Cleaning Techniques
and everything looks fine.

anyone else had this issue? I can't believe I am not printing cyan and that somehow the light cyan is 'covering up' the problem.

weird. any thoughts?
Eric

kdphotography

It might just be a bit of air in the line that cleared out with your purge print file.

Btw, I would not use Windex on the current generation of Epson print heads (79/99**). You could certainly get away with that trick with the old 78/9800 series but the current printers are much more delicate. Warm distilled water or a solution from AIS or IJM on the capping station is safer.

ken

faneuil

thanks - but even after purge file nozzle check pattern shows absolutely zilch on the leftmost "C" box. Wondering if this is a software issue, not a ink line issue.

Safe to assume that if the Cyan line was completely clogged that images would look weird or incorrect? I mean, my test images are absolutely fine.

Eric

Mike Z

Hello Eric,
I had a similar problem with an old 9880 years ago.
Each time the head went back to the capping station back pressure caused air to be pulled up into the magenta nozzle. a nozzle check always looked like a clogged nozzle.
At first glance prints coming off the printer look fine. However when I looked more closely at the prints I could see that the lead edge of the print was green until magenta ink flowed through the nozzle again. the rest of the print was fine.
I would try printing an image that is 50 percent gray and see is you are getting a color shift on the lead edge of the print. If you have the same problem that I had you may need a new capping station.
Hope this helps.

Mike

faneuil

update:

Called epson support on monday. By afternoon a super friendly technican called me.
Tuesday morning a large box arrived.
Tuesday afternoon said tech arrived. And fixed my printer. Needed a new head.

Interestingly, before and after calibration prints with and without the CYAN line are only subtle differences. I know I know.. but light cyan was doing the heavy lifting.

Eric