The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

switching from an epson 7900 to a canon ipf6450 so some questions

msadat

tired of the clogging problem with the epson printers, so looking into the canon.

once concern is that its an older model than the current epson p7000, do u know if there is a new printer in horizon

have a bunch of epson paper, if i profile them, would it work on the canon. i.e epson semi gloss

any general comments about the canon printer?

thx

Charles Wood

I've owned the ipf8000 and 8300 models and I found the Canon inks compatible with a wide range of non-Canon media, including Epson papers and canvas. I suspect the 6450 will exhibit similar characteristics as it has the same 12-color ink system as the 8300.

tsjanik

I recently gave up on my 4900 and replaced it with a 6400. Output is indistinguishable to my eye, but after years of using Epson I prefer their UI and overall appearance of build quality and I do miss the tray feed for test prints. I don't miss the clogging and nozzle checks or prints with vertical banding. I just turn on the printer on, it checks itself and cleans if necessary and then I print. I am using the same papers I did with the Epson including IGS and Epson Exhibition Fiber.

krismaz

Canon are going to refresh their IPF line in 2016 (not sure if it's going to be the first or second half of the year) so if you can wait a few months you might have more options to choose from. As for the paper, you can use any brand of the papers with IPFs, and if you buy a one with a built in spectrophotometer (it's actually an add on module) you can created a custom paper calibration with custom ink limits etc., which will appear in the driver and on the printer panel paper list.

msadat

that was my thinking also, so i am going to wait a bit and see what canon will show. but i am done with epson. the best they do now is to offer auto cleaning with the new printers. so far what i have read about canon's are that it is cheaper to run and i like that. even changing heads on the canon is done by the user and it costs less. a new head for the epson 7900 is 1600 plus 250 install for a printer that costs 2700. a bit much

Canon are going to refresh their IPF line in 2016 (not sure if it's going to be the first or second half of the year) so if you can wait a few months you might have more options to choose from. As for the paper, you can use any brand of the papers with IPFs, and if you buy a one with a built in spectrophotometer (it's actually an add on module) you can created a custom paper calibration with custom ink limits etc., which will appear in the driver and on the printer panel paper list.

scho

I've been running a Canon iPF6100 for 8 years and never had clogging issues. I have had a pump failure and replaced printheads twice (about $450 each). My last service call was for the pump failure and the tech spent 3 days tearing down the printer right to the bare frame before he discovered what the problem was (flat rate $1K for that one, not including parts). I'm ready to do a replacement but as long as the heads and other parts hold up I'll wait and see what Canon has to offer next year.

JohnBrew

Epson vs Canon. I've had a 3800 - lasted four years, finally had a clog which couldn't be cleared. 3880 - two years and currently undergoing an electrical glitch which may mean replacement. I've had 6400 for almost three years - no problems. BTW, Canon recommends you leave it on all the time. If you don't use it every week, and I don't, leaving it on will allow for the printer to maintain itself (whatever that entails) - scared the jabbers out of me the first time it performed a maintenance!