The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Harman by Hahnemühle Gloss Baryta problem

Duk2

I just wanted to share with you that I was quite disapointed with the Hahnemühle headquarters in Germany, about receiving a quite different Harman by Hahnemühle Gloss Baryta paper than the Sample Pack manufactured and distributed by themselves.

Basically, the issue is that the sample packs of Harman by Hahnemühle included a Gloss Baryta completely equal to the former, original one, Harman Gloss FB AL. I seems that Hahnemühle does not provide this beautiful paper anymore and sends some kind of plastic looking paper instead. What is worst, they do not accept returns neither complaints on that. My workshop (GraficArtPrints) is Certified Studio by Hahnemühle, and seems that appart from receiving letters from them, telling me that my oppinion is so important for them and asking for my oppinion on shallow things as packagin, it is clear that all this is bla, bla, bla...

You may read the full article here: Problem with Harman by Hahnemühle Gloss Baryta

I hadn't noticed a problem with Gloss Baryta, either regular or Warmtone. I've printed a couple of BW portfolios on the latter, because it looks so much like classic Portriga Rapid 111. I've also made exhibition color prints on the regular substrate.

Is the change that bothers you very recent? Maybe it hasn't shipped to US yet.

Kirk

Duk2

I hadn't noticed a problem with Gloss Baryta, either regular or Warmtone. I've printed a couple of BW portfolios on the latter, because it looks so much like classic Portriga Rapid 111. I've also made exhibition color prints on the regular substrate.

Is the change that bothers you very recent? Maybe it hasn't shipped to US yet.

Kirk
Well, you don't tell but I guess you are talking about the Harman by Hahnemühle Gloss Baryta.

You don't say if you have ever printed on the original Harman Gloss Baryta FB AL. I mean that if your first experience was with the Harman by Hahnemühle, maybe this emulsion is fine for you because do not know the original.

On the other hand it is also possible that you have "old" batches of Harman by Hahnemühle (I guess) in US, as well as my several Sample Packs thal all them have this beautiful "old" emulsion.

As far as I know, Harman does not sell their papers on their brand anymore. Instead they link to the Harman by Hahnemühle products.

All in all it is a pity, as that former Harman Gloss Baryta FB AL "was" the only one paper on earth, most alike to a gloss baryta darkroom paper natural air dried as for example Ilford Galerie FB.