Site Sponsors

Thread: Canon Pro-1000 waste tank contains $188 in ink!!! That's 25% waste!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exclamation Canon Pro-1000 waste tank contains $188 in ink!!! That's 25% waste!!!

I just had to replace the waste ink tank on my Canon Pro-1000 printer. I love the printer but I weighed the empty vs full tanks and there was 250 grams of ink in the full one. That's roughly $188 of wasted ink. I have not replaced any carts since new except the CO and one of the blacks. I am nearing empty on many of them.

That means that for every $750 I spend on ink, roughly $188 is flushed down the toilet, so to speak. It never reaches the paper. This means that 25% of my money spent is just going to waste.

Who would like to file the class-action lawsuit? I will be the named plaintiff.

Brad
    Brad Husick

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Canon Pro-1000 waste tank contains $188 in ink!!! That's 25% waste!!!

Is it possible that this was a one time new printer ink charging issue? I'm as appalled at ink pricing and the protectionist technologies they engender as anyone, but let's see how this one works over time. My 2 cents...

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ink charging should fill the ink lines, not dump lots of ink into the waste tank, yes?
    Brad Husick

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Ink charging should fill the ink lines, not dump lots of ink into the waste tank, yes?
    Absolutely! But the wasteful event may only occur once. I try to see the engineer's point of view. If the printer is ruined when run dry (big "if", I grant you), the design will be complete overkill to make sure that never happens. There has to be a balance somewhere between wasting $500 in ink every time you change a cartridge, and destroying a $1000 printer every time you change a cartridge (those are, of course, deliberately chosen to be outrageous extremes.) But then where in the middle do you go?

How much of it is prudent engineering and how much is desire to gouge the user? I know we all like to assume it is 100% the latter, but I really don't know.

If your burn rate on ink continues so high, I will also be appropriately furious, though I'm not sure about the legal recourse.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fair points.

My print prices just went up 25%.
    Brad Husick
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I find the Pixma Pro 1 also wastes alot of ink, to the point of I am considering going back to Epson. Still love my HP Z3200 but I alos want a desktop printer, and HP does not make one in this category.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what happened to mine but just went through a ton of ink and also filled the waste bin
    Sony A7RII
    Sony 16-35 f/4, Sony 55mm f/1.8, Sony 70-200 f/4, Sony 24-75 f/2.8, Zeiss Batis 85mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bellyk View Post
    Not sure what happened to mine but just went through a ton of ink and also filled the waste bin
    Ink waste is a huge part of the cost of operating ink jet printers. I don't know about Epson but I know that Canon print heads can be ruined if a color runs dry. The cost per milliliter of ink is pretty outrageous. If you're using a 13x19 or 17x22 desktop printer, you're paying pretty steep prices for ink. The cost per milliliter drops significantly, at least with Canon, when you get into a 24" IPF series printer and even more so when you go to a 44" wide printer. Paper cost per square foot drop as well if your media choices are available in roll form. I also seldom buy ink from a distributor. I don't buy third party so-called compatible ink because I can't afford to take a chance on clogging the heads, color shifts or longevity but I do look for genuine Canon ink on eBay and usually find what I need at significant savings.

I print mostly on canvas and a large format printer is required to effectively serve the canvas business. I use a Canon ipf8400 and an Epson 3880. The Epson wastes a lot of photo black and matte black on media changes. I have a Canon Pro 100 and it is only used for labels on printable DVDs/BRD. No way around it, the smaller desktops really are a PITA when it comes to ink and media cost.

Post Thanks / Like

i have the same printer, and have noticed the maintenance tank fills up very very quickly also....
    My photoblog: http://josefskye.tumblr.com
    Friend me on Facebook: Josef Tornick

Post Thanks / Like

I just had to replace the waste ink tank on my Canon Pro-1000 printer. I love the printer but I weighed the empty vs full tanks and there was 250 grams of ink in the full one. That's roughly $188 of wasted ink. I have not replaced any carts since new except the CO and one of the blacks. I am nearing empty on many of them.

Brad
    Hi Brad,

Your experience with the maintenance routines of the Canon Pro-1000 makes this an expensive printer to run/own. As I am interested in this printer, I called my dealer here in Holland. He informed me that this automated maintenance routine can be turned off, but that you then are expected to manually make a nozzle check print once a week.

The way to turn this automative maintenance routine off is by setting the "auto nozzle check" to off.

As Canon did not implement that auto maintenance routine for nothing, I asked if setting it to off and doing the weekly nozzle check has any negative effect on the print head lifespan. He said it will not be effected by it.

This dealer sells both Epson and Canon.

Hope this helps. To me it sounds very interesting. Will soon visit my dealer to make a couple of test prints from one my images on both a luster and mat paper and will compare it to the Epson SC P800, the other printer I am interested in.

cheers,
    Remko

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

UPDATE:

I just replaced the maintenance cart again on the Pro-1000 and this time the wasted ink was 166 grams, or $124.

That's better than the first time, but still feels like I am being cheated by Canon.

On the plus-side, the printer makes excellent prints.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

UPDATE:

I just replaced the maintenance cart again on the Pro-1000 and this time the wasted ink was 166 grams, or $124.

That's better than the first time, but still feels like I am being cheated by Canon.

On the plus-side, the printer makes excellent prints.
    At least you can replace the maintenance cartridge on the Pro-1000. The waste ink pads on my Pro-10 are not easily user replaceable and it would certainly not be cost effective for me to ship the printer to a Canon service center (there are no Canon service centers in Alaska). When my Pro-10 ink pads fill up and the printer will no longer print until the pads are replaced, the printer is basically junk and I will either be donating it to a local vocational school that trains people to work on computers and printers or taking it to a recycling center.

I just bought a new Epson P800 with an easily replaceable maintenance cart. It replaces an Epson 3880 I had for about 7 years. During those 7 years and many, many prints, I replaced the 3880 maintenance cart twice.

Gary