The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 9000 series printer and Colorburst

routlaw

Anyone using the Colorburst RIP with the latest Epson printers, either the 7900 or 9900?

Given the linearity and quality of the output I have seen thus far from these printers does using a RIP with them seem a bit overkill and unnecessary?

Thanks

Rob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think it's a fair question for sure. I would say if the output you are getting satisfies you for the media you are printing on, you don't need it. OTOH, if you print on a wide variety of media and/or want to have your layouts conveniently managed, the RIP may be worth considering. Personally, I only have a few favorite papers I regularly print on so end up building profiles for those, and usually print one-off, so have never felt the need for the RIP.

routlaw

I think it's a fair question for sure. I would say if the output you are getting satisfies you for the media you are printing on, you don't need it. OTOH, if you print on a wide variety of media and/or want to have your layouts conveniently managed, the RIP may be worth considering. Personally, I only have a few favorite papers I regularly print on so end up building profiles for those, and usually print one-off, so have never felt the need for the RIP.
Jack

Thanks for the valued input. I should have been more clear, actually I don't own either of these two, at least yet. Have been considering the 9900 to upgrade from old 9600 that is still working fine but some of the attributes of the 9900 make it a very compelling product. Soooo... with that in mind I also thought before making the leap to the newer printer perhaps the CB RIP which does improve output on these older printers most of the time due to their ability to properly linearize those printers may or may not share some of the same value for the 79/9900 series.

I do print on a very wide variety of media and of course have always built my own profiles however to get the absolute most from these older printers especially b&w and sepia tone prints having some sort of rip really does help.

And then there is the issue of finding a happy new home for my old 9600 since I don't have room for both. In effect I am doing a balancing act here, and did not want to spend the money for a RIP if its largely unnecessary. Whew, bunch of stuff to chew on here.

Thanks

Rob

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
I think, the currect drivers already provide a very good output. Ok, there is flexibility in choice of material and certain nesting features. But given the prices for RIP's I feel it is not justfied in most cases. If you need more complicated layouts, you could always print via Qimage (Windows only) which costs next to nothing. As you already build your own profiles, I would rather invest the money in ink instead. ;)

Out of interest, I looked at a couple of RIP solutions for my 11880 last year, none of them convinced me as a must have.

routlaw

I think, the currect drivers already provide a very good output. Ok, there is flexibility in choice of material and certain nesting features. But given the prices for RIP's I feel it is not justfied in most cases.... Out of interest, I looked at a couple of RIP solutions for my 11880 last year, none of them convinced me as a must have.
Thanks Georg, your points are well taken, and intuitively where I seem to be headed with the solution. Like you I am not convinced of RIP's for these newer printers.

Now to just sell my 9600.. any takers?

Thanks again.

Rob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
however to get the absolute most from these older printers especially b&w and sepia tone prints having some sort of rip really does help.
As soon as you see your first B&W off the X900 printed with a good profile, you'll realize things have improved significantly since the X600 series :D.

A sidebar re Q-Image. I still use it on my Mac for some jobs, but have to run it inside Fusion with XP loaded in it. Works just like it did on my Win machine though :thumbup:

Cheers,

E

edwinb

If you want certified press proofs then you will certainly need a rip
the converse is probably true also
Edwin