The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Spectral Comparison of Different Papers

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Basically a flatter line means that the paper has less spectral (color) shift, which in turn implies more accurate color rendition. OBA's in paper often skew colors, especially in the high end of the spectrum (blues and violets), which is the the shorter wavelengths or the left end of these graphs. This is only data and should be used as such --- IOW if you notice a paper is NOT delivering the proper colors to your eyes, you should look for a paper that has a flatter line... It is probably most beneficial to normal users for analyzing softer color gradients, like human skin-tones, for accuracy. However, also of importance for any photographer needing accurate color reproductions, like for pre-press or critical commercial/industrial output.

Ironically, one of my favorite papers -- Epson Premium Luster -- shows a large dip at the left, yet to my eyes the colors remain quite accurate and more importantly, pleasant to my eye for the types of images I print on it, so I will happily continue using it ;)

Cheers,

Lars

This is a plot of the sprectral response for the paper - presumably pigment ink is reflective so the more ink is laid down the less the paper spectral response matters?

The flatter the line, the less surprises in different viewing conditions?

Last edited: