The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MacBook Pro - Printers vs Windows XP

Greg Lockrey

How does one select printer preferences using a Mac with Leopard? Im a very new user of Macs and so far it hasn't been all that intuitive. For example if I wish to set the defaults for a letter printer to be "economical and two sided", in Widows XP it gives me places to make my selections. So far I'm not finding this with Leopard. Another issue is when I install the printer on the Mac and when I try to retrieve it using Parallels and Windows I find that I have to reinstall the printer in Windows all over again. Am I not doing something correctly here?

Thanks,

Greg

Terry

I can't help you with Parallels but on the Mac side of things when you go to file print or command P it should pop up a dialog box where you can specify which printer and then specifics about the print. You can save the settings and name them. I'm sure someone will give you a much more detailed answer.

Greg Lockrey

I do see that pop up box, but I don't see anywhere I can control the ink flow and then set it as a default. Once I have my defaults set in Windows for example, that's how the printer will work always until I change it. With the Mac it shows "last time used" and "save" for choices....but what am I saving? Is there a way to get into the print driver controls with the Mac like I do in Windows is what I think I'm asking? It just seems so generic with the Mac compared to Windows to me.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Click on the little triangle to the right of the printer box and the entire print dialog opens up :) Next, in Leopard/CS3, the actual print driver for the printer (the place with all the paper, ink and platen settings) opens up AFTER you hit "print" in the first box.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here are some screenshots to get you going:

First is the screen that comes up when you hit Cmd P (or File>Print) in CS3. If it doesn't look like this, open the dialog box circled in yellow and click color management:

Next, if you hit the print button in the above box, you will get a screen that looks like this. If you do not see all of the same options, again, toggle the arrow circled in yellow and the additional options will become available:

This screen always defaults to "Layout," so you have to click on that dialog (in red) to get the options you are used to for ink and paper settings, like so:

And so:

Once you get everything set up for a particular paper, you can save the group of settings by opening the dialog box labeled "Presets" and clicking "Save As" and then assign a name to them:

Obviously we will go over all of these options and more in our printing workshop in Carmel and describe what they all are used for, but this brief tutorial should help get you started on the right path :)

Cheers,

Greg Lockrey

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU :):):)

I knew that there had to be a way. I was trying to print out my Tax Return with a new Canon Pixma iP90 on the Mac end of the Computer and didn't want a "high end" sort of printing.

I use Qimage (Windows) for all of my photo printing so getting into the drivers was never an issue. Just would have brain farts in Mac. But you lighted the end of the tunnel for me Jack.

BTW I would LOVE to attend one of your seminars in Carmel, but I have a tough enough time just getting to the grocery store here in Michigan for any length of time. :)

Last edited:

Greg Lockrey

Just a little side question. On your screen shot it shows where you can do two-sided printing. I can make it work in Windows but how do you turn it on in Mac? It's a handy feature to save paper for everyday documentation. Especially 27 page tax documents. ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It has to first be available for your printer, then the driver should show it...

Greg Lockrey

It has to first be available for your printer, then the driver should show it...
It "works" in Windows in that it will print a page, then ask to reload the back side. It even works when I'm printing off the net. Just can't turn it on in Mac for some reason. I guess it's a Mac thing. :confused:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
They may not support in the Mac driver --- have you downloaded the latest driver from your printer manufacturer?

Greg Lockrey

I'll have to give that a try. It's a new printer (Canon Pixma iP90) and had the discs. I supposed it's needs to be updated...it's been out for more than a week. :rolleyes:

Do you have any thoughts why I need to download the printers in both Mac and Windows sides to allow them to work in both places on my MacBook Pro? Seems redundant. I would have thought that the Parrallels program would allow a handshack between the two operating systems.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'll have to give that a try. It's a new printer (Canon Pixma iP90) and had the discs. I supposed it's needs to be updated...it's been out for more than a week. :rolleyes:

Do you have any thoughts why I need to download the printers in both Mac and Windows sides to allow them to work in both places on my MacBook Pro? Seems redundant. I would have thought that the Parrallels program would allow a handshack between the two operating systems.
Leopard is relatively new, and I suspect most printer manufacturers build their drivers several months before the printer is first released.

In parallels or Fusion, the OS is literally running in its own environment inside OSX, so you need to load ALL components including the full OS, all hardware drivers and even your paper profiles. Think of it akin to having a PC on a network; that machine needs to be able to stand on its own to work...

Cheers,

Greg Lockrey

Thanks Jack, I was seeing this with other things too like monitor calibration and profile names etc. Looking at as a "network" as you described clears up a few of my questions on how this interface works. Now if Qimage would see the light and make a Mac version, then I can use just one working space. ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Now if Qimage would see the light and make a Mac version, then I can use just one working space. ;)
A-freaking-men to that! I wrote them and actually BEGGED them to reconsider their position on this, and would encourage all Mac users to do the same...

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks Jack, I was seeing this with other things too like monitor calibration and profile names etc. Looking at as a "network" as you described clears up a few of my questions on how this interface works. Now if Qimage would see the light and make a Mac version, then I can use just one working space. ;)
A-freaking-men to that! I wrote them and actually BEGGED them to reconsider their position on this, and would encourage all Mac users to do the same...
A question about Qimage editions. Do you recommend the Pro or Studio edition?
The only features that may be useful in the more expensive Studio edition are "Hybrid SE" interpolation method: smoother with no artifacts & possibly Hyper printing: dual core/HT technology for faster printing.
Is the interpolation method in the Studio edition worth it? The total cost of the Studio edition is not that great so I may just spring for it anyway.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Charlie:

I used the regular Hybrid in the Pro edition and found it more than adequate for my needs. However, I was ready to upgrade to studio for the additional memory on paper sizes, layouts and other custom settings. Seems to me to be worth the relatively small added cost for the added benefits.

My .02,

Greg Lockrey

Hi Charlie:

I used the regular Hybrid in the Pro edition and found it more than adequate for my needs. However, I was ready to upgrade to studio for the additional memory on paper sizes, layouts and other custom settings. Seems to me to be worth the relatively small added cost for the added benefits.

My .02,
Dittoes that. :thumbup: Dollar for dollar it is the best print processing program out there. There are better, but you'll spend over $1000 to get it.