The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First gallery showing

viablex1

Question,
I have my first gallery showing coming up in chicago. I have the titles of the prints but what else would you all recommend be placed on the caption cards?

like type of print etc.

any suggestions would help a great deal!!

thanks

Matthew Friel

etrigan63

Congrats Matthew! I will likely be having one in September myself. I will be watching this thread intently!

routlaw

Question,
I have my first gallery showing coming up in chicago. I have the titles of the prints but what else would you all recommend be placed on the caption cards?

like type of print etc.

Matthew Friel
Congratulations Matt, should be a good show with all of the work you've posted lately.

Of course you will want to include the price for the print showing or alternatively have a price sheet available if you are offering different sizes for the same image. I would definitely include the type of print and the size of the image showing, be it archival pigmented ink, silver gelatin, Illfochrome or what have you. Keep it simple, quick and easy to read.

I would also suggest you have a printed piece available as handouts, a simple but elegant brochure made by a professional graphic designer that details briefly your technique, and anything that makes your work special and different or how you go about your making your images. It might be good place to draw attention to the archival standards of your framing and matting. You want to inform the audience but also entertain them at the same time. This is a place where you want to say a lot with very few words, get the message over quickly and succinctly but without loosing substance. Easier said than done sometimes.

Do add a few images to the printed piece that are noteworthy which you might want to draw special attention to. Think of it as an expanded artist statement which you will also need framed for the show.

I am sure others will have some suggestions not mentioned here, but best of luck with the show.

Rob