The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

JPEGs for printing from P45+ in CS4

scatesmd

Workshop Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm running into trouble as I try to arrange P45+ files for printing from Vista, 32-bit CS4, 4GB RAM. A bit of a dumb question, but I've been fighting with it since I bought the P1 645.

I end up with a PSD file after processing in 16 bits in CS4. I may have a few adjustment layers (but never more than 3 or so lest CS4 crashes).

I want to print at 20 inches and I need a JPEG to send to the printer. If I try the Save for Web under the File menu, I immediately receive a warning that the command was not designed for large files and that crashes can occur. If I try to continue, CS4 crashes or cannot write the file after conversion. I then tried flattening the file, but same issues. I then flattened and converted to 8 bits, but I still immediately get the warning that the Save to Web was not designed for large files and the same problems happen if I continue. I usually don't get far enough to get to the point where I can drop the JPEG quality (and I thought I needed a high quality file for the larger print, anyway).

I know many of you are making large prints from MFDB files, but it seems my option is to view the files on my laptop, not print them, as I can't get the files converted in CS4.

Is there another piece of software you are using to make these JPEGs or are there other methods to make high quality JPEGs in CS4? I tried using 64 bit CS4 as well, but the same issues came up.

How are you getting around these size limits for the MF files? What settings should I be using?

Thanks for your help,

steve

D

ddk

I'm on a mac so not familiar with vista OS so can't comment on the reason for your crashes, it could be that 4gb of ram is too little, your machine is too old or just that vista is really as bad as everyone says it is!

Regarding Save For Web command its exactly for that. You need to shrink your file size before using that feature. Go to image size and reduce the file down to about 1000 pixels on its longer side and then use the Save for web command. You can make the the image larger if you wanted but 1000 pixels is large enough for viewing on a lap top in portrait mode. This feature is lossy and definitely unsuitable for any kind of printing.

For printing I use full size files, tiff or psd, otherwise whats the point of having a high resolution back. Your problem is with your cmputer hardware, I'd get that sorted out instead of destroying your high rez files.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Steve:

You have mail... :D

David is right, save for web is not appropriate tool -- use the action set I just sent you, it should work on your PC but you may get an error for the fit-to step, in which case just trash it.

Cheers,

scatesmd

Workshop Member
Hi Jack and David,

Thanks for your help. I will ask Dale Labs if they can take the full files and if so will mail them a disk.

I'll try the action and use it if I only can use a JPEG.

I think the issue is I need more memory to prevent the crashes. The machine is a new Lenovo W700 with Vista 64 and it has generally been very stable (I disable some of the new Aero features and keep everything pretty lean to keep it running quickly and with stability). If I run CS4 in the 64 bit version instead of the 32, many of my plugins won't load, but I'll add memory when I have access to 64 bit CS4 and can better use it.

Thanks again, steve