The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

25mm E-mount lens for $15 (it's a Holga!)

I was looking at pinhole offerings and stumbled across this on eBay. I think I'll invest the fifteen dollars to see what it can do.

Last edited:

Thomas Fallon

Had a look at his listing. He sells in many categories. Radios, fashion and sex toys to name a few. Too bad you already spent all your money on that expensive lens.

Godfrey

One of those in mFT mount came with the Olympus E-PL1 I bought for about a hundred dollars the year before last. My only problem with it is that it's too sharp... !

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So a Sony body cap is cheaper by $10: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761371-REG/Sony_ALCB1EM_B1EM_Camera_Body_Lens.html

But I figure this is at least a $10 more useful body cap :ROTFL: One upside for us on the lens above is it's designed for M4/3 sensor E mount, not the full-frame. So it will prolly have significant falloff and loss of resolution, and being a decent wide focal should crop nicely to square for a vintage vignette look :D

And no way I'm getting rid of the Mitakon. It performs SUPERBLY well on the Sony wide open in the typical light and shooting distances I will be using it at thank you very much!!! Taking the thread a bit off topic, but not all lenses work well when adapted to the Sony -- some M lenses come to mind, ahem -- but this one is designed for it, and works very well!

Godfrey

Some examples of the Holga 25mm toy/pinhole lens, taken with E-PL1 (no cropping, no alterations, straight from JPEGs, all at ISO 1600, etc):

Above photo flipped right to left for correct orientation...

A fun little thing.

G

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Godfrey, that is the same lens we ordered, but I don't think we can call it a "pinhole" if it has glass :) But regardless, I do like the look (and your images!), and imagine the look on full frame cropped square -- to your full width in both directions -- and I think it could be cool!

And then I just bought some other weird stuff to mount to the A7r too, cost a little bit more than the Holga lenscap though -- stay tuned :ROTFL:

Godfrey

Godfrey, that is the same lens we ordered, but I don't think we can call it a "pinhole" if it has glass :) But regardless, I do like the look (and your images!), and imagine the look on full frame cropped square -- to your full width in both directions -- and I think it could be cool!

And then I just bought some other weird stuff to mount to the A7r too, cost a little bit more than the Holga lenscap though -- stay tuned :ROTFL:
Absolutely true ... It's essentially a zone plate with a large diameter central pinhole behind a single element, plastic lens. Pretty clever way to make a "fast" lens that performs remarkably well for almost nothing. :)

It's fun, but don't expect top notch quality on the mount... !

G

The super-elastic-bubble-plastic Holga 25mm lens arrived today. It's everything you might expect for US $15.

These are from the A7R, set to APS-C crop mode. (maximum vignette correction applied in LR, but it didn't help much.)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Godfrey's right -- it's too sharp. We need to figure out how to decenter the lens and add some light leaks :D

Maybe a very slight Scotchbright scrub pass on the plastic element? Or a spritz of hairspray?? Or maybe a dab from Q-tip soaked with acetone???

Don Libby

Oh crap - now you have me thinking of getting one. May as well before the price goes up to $20.00....