The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Note: The OLD B& forum will be shutting down on November 1st, please use the new B&S.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Note: The OLD B& forum will be shutting down on November 1st, please use the new B&S.

See announcement at top of page

Re: Note: This forum will be shutting down on November 1st, please use the new B&S.

The new Classifieds needs a different username and password from your getdpi account?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Re: Note: This forum will be shutting down on November 1st, please use the new B&S.

The new Classifieds needs a different username and password from your getdpi account?
The username and password is the same. I had a similar problem trying to log in to place an ad. Bob told me to log out of the forum, and then log back in. Once I did that, the problem went away.

Photojazz

It also made me create an account, but once I clicked on the email it sent, it recognized me then. I used same username. That's how it worked-

jlm

Workshop Member

is this new forum operating? do the posts there show up in the "new posts" search?

rscheffler

Any chance of implementing an RSS feed for the new classifieds? It's how I keep up with listings here, and what I like better here than at Fred Miranda.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

John, the new forum is up and running. I am not certain if we can link it to the "new posts" search function on the main site.

Ron, we'll look into adding the RSS feed.

seakayaker

From a user point of view, I found the current layout much more friendly and ease of use to navigate. It could be just familiarity with the layout of the whole site and wanting to keep the look and feel the same.

D&A

From a user point of view, I found the current layout much more friendly and ease of use to navigate. It could be just familiarity with the layout of the whole site and wanting to keep the look and feel the same.
I quite agree. The old Buy and Sell is seamless within the context of the rest of the Getdpi website. The new one almost feels like it takes one to an off site location, If there was any way to implement the changes you desire but keep most of the old format, I feel it may be the best of both worlds. I also realize there are technical hurdles that have to be overcome.

Dave (D&A)

Morituri

One wish I have, as a long time seller here on getDPI, if the forum supports it, make the new classifieds, when you click on say "cameras", and see the ads, make them a collage of pictures, maybe each row has 6 thumbnails / ads horizontally (or more I guess), instead of one small tiny little column that is like 400 pixels wide on the screen. Items will disappear at the bottom very quickly, and people won't see them. There is massive amount of wasted space on both sides of the browser at the moment. Right now it looks like something for mobile usage and not desktop.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

The new classifieds section now supports rss feeds.
There is an rss icon at the top of each category.
Feeds from parent categories will include all activity from child categories.

-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

One wish I have, as a long time seller here on getDPI, if the forum supports it, make the new classifieds, when you click on say "cameras", and see the ads, make them a collage of pictures, maybe each row has 6 thumbnails / ads horizontally (or more I guess), instead of one small tiny little column that is like 400 pixels wide on the screen. Items will disappear at the bottom very quickly, and people won't see them. There is massive amount of wasted space on both sides of the browser at the moment. Right now it looks like something for mobile usage and not desktop.
Partially addressed with rss feeds. Depending on your reader, you can obtain various display options.
-bob

sfox

I would expect the seller ID to be displayed at the B&S index page, as what is it on the current B&S. I also agree with some others' comment re keeping the current format of the index page. Thanks

eperet1986

How would a potential buyer/seller be able to check Positive/Negative feedback?
As a follow-up would existing feedback carry over?

If GAS isn't expensive enough, does everyone need to pay before accessing the site?
Or only those wanting to post FS/WTB ad?

seakayaker

Partially addressed with rss feeds. Depending on your reader, you can obtain various display options.
-bob
Probably a need of others, but I do not use and prefer a site that is easy to view and navigate.

The proposed Buy and Sell would require too many mouse clicks and navigation to view at a glance. Current Buy and Sell is easy to view a couple of pages at a quick glance to see if there is any interest. Moving to the new view with its layout could lose some viewing traffic. Since you have the capability to track you will be able to make that determination.

Andrew Gough

As a long time reader of the forum who sells stuff fairly often, I would like to make a request. The per item fee's seem expensive, if you sell a lot. Is it possible to do like another well known forum, and charge a flat fee for the year?

ohdannyboy

There's a fee now??? Ugh...fail. I liked posting here because of its ease and no fee structure. :(

M

mjr

I have to agree, I don't sell much so it doesn't really affect me but the structure of the site has always been appealing because it feels like a community rather than a commercial enterprise.

Of course you can do what you like with the site, it's yours but there are already adverts and if the desire is to raise money then why not offer things we can buy rather than charging for a service?

As an aside, as there is now a fee, will there be something in return, as in mediation in the case of disputes or anything like that? Or is the fee just to allow access to the members on here? If I'm paying for an advert and something goes wrong, I'd expect the people I'm paying to have a structure for sorting that problem out.

I really hope this doesn't change the feel of the site, I want to feel like a community member rather than a customer!

No offence intended, just my view!

Mat

Double Negative

Not Available

I hate to say it, but I'm not a fan of the new B&S.

jlm

Workshop Member

i like the idea of grouping the b/s posts separately; for example, right now, 50% of what shows up when i hit new posts is gear for sale; this gives a different face to the forum than what i would prefer.
i'm good with a fee per sale (how much is it anyway?); always seemed like too many were taking advantage of the easy advertising without really contributing anything to the forum.
i have yet to play around with the classified format, so no comment there, except why not list the classifieds link on the main forum header bar?