The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New Buy/Sell section

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I guess you have access to the stats that I don't - so my perception of the activity before the change is just that, a perception. I was probably mistaking activity in the form of replies with new ad activity.

I think a lot of what you see as low value and what I and at least some others see as high value is a result of perspective. I come at it from the perspective of what I find as an engaging use of my limited safe time, I think you come with the perspective of reducing admin hassles for over burdened moderators. Fair enough, I hope it does work out well.

Thanks for offering your views and intent.
Oh it is not only moderator time.
I really hate to discipline a normally fine member for odd comments on the b/s forum. Heck if I were to offer a LBJ tie-pin for $10k would it be best for just nobody to buy it or for moderators to put half a dozen members in a time-out for price-policeing comments? Lets make with the photography and talk about whats important. I guess the comments offered a certain degree of sport, but at the expense of what?
The B/S forum was always intended to be an ancillary service, not the reason for the forum.
I am encouraged by the number of new members that we are getting via the new front page entry-point. That is gratifying indeed.
-bob

GDI

Oh it is not only moderator time.
I really hate to discipline a normally fine member for odd comments on the b/s forum. Heck if I were to offer a LBJ tie-pin for $10k would it be best for just nobody to buy it or for moderators to put half a dozen members in a time-out for price-policeing comments? Lets make with the photography and talk about whats important. I guess the comments offered a certain degree of sport, but at the expense of what?
The B/S forum was always intended to be an ancillary service, not the reason for the forum.
I am encouraged by the number of new members that we are getting via the new front page entry-point. That is gratifying indeed.
-bob
Would you take $9500 for that tie pin?

Wait, what is this "LBJ"?
:grin:

Thanks, I am resigned to the new format!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Would you take $9500 for that tie pin?

Wait, what is this "LBJ"?
:grin:

Thanks, I am resigned to the new format!
I am not really.
Wh have a little more than a month of experience. Things will change with experience but I cannot say which way it might be.
One reason that activity seems low is that every snarky comment and every bump showed up as a new post. the actual rate of new ads was much lower than apparent activity.
A few months from now we will evaluate where we are and decisions will be made based on the data.
-bob

D&A

As per the previous comment, my description of 'walled off' referred to the separation of the section from the rest of the forum as explained. You have to click on the browse ads banner and then drop into a different section - kind of taking the back door to a hidden room at the back of the forum.

Maybe it's just me that feels this way.
Quite Agree! The Buy/Sell section of Getdpi shouldn't be the main or sole reason for those participating on the site, but it was definitely part of the overall experience while browsing and/or contributing to the various threads. Effortlessly, one would be able to go back and forth from the B/S board and others on-going conversations. Now it feels almost like leaving Getdpi and entering another separate website.

Regarding comments being allowed on ads posted was a double edged sword and I'm not sure what way to go on this, but something else feels missing. Easy access to a sellers Getdpi posting history might be helpful similar to the way it used to be where next to the sellers name one can see the # of posts made, when they joined Getdpi and a click on their avitar/name brings up the usual degree of info. This is no different than clicking on that name when seen in one of the forums. Whether it can eventually be linked to their buy/sell history on Getdpi, I certainly don't know the difficulty of doing this.

Just some idle thoughts.

Dave (D&A)

JMaher

I am glad the new system is working out for you and that it has created a small revenue stream. However, I have to agree with many of the issues raised. I only saw this discussion as a result of clicking on "New Posts". I rarely, if ever, go the sales section anymore and I was the buyer of a number of things that caught my eye from seeing them in "New Posts".

The mere fact that ads are being listed as sold has no bearing on if the items were sold here or on venues like FM or Canon Digital Photography Forums, etc. I only bought things here because they caught my eye (and because I felt I knew the sellers) and that added to the overall positive experience of this site.

I also sold a few things here in the past and while the fee doesn't deter me (I pay to sell things on FM) the format does.

GetDPI is truly one of my favorite reads and its a shame to see it appear to be even a little less than it was. Does this change the fact that it is still one of my favorite reads - obviously not really. However we all know from our experience with this hobby that its the little things that can make a difference.

Jim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Let me put it this way to all of you who prefer the old way: If we were to bring it back, would you each agree to give us $1 for every price police or deliberate bump against the rules mod action we have to take? Note this will likely cost you each between $10 and $25 per day. But, if you REALLY do want the old system and we can get five or six of you that want it back bad enough to pay us that way for it, we'll strongly consider it.

GDI

Let me put it this way to all of you who prefer the old way: If we were to bring it back, would you each agree to give us $1 for every price police or deliberate bump against the rules mod action we have to take? Note this will likely cost you each between $10 and $25 per day. But, if you REALLY do want the old system and we can get five or six of you that want it back bad enough to pay us that way for it, we'll strongly consider it.
Since I think resurrected the thread after several weeks, I'll weigh in...

I sure don't want the old B&S back enough to pay wages to mods. Maybe some others do; I'm sure they'll volunteer. I was just trying to offer suggestions in reply to your post about the ad fall off that could possibly result in more ads or income. Bob subsequently said that ad traffic and sales were comparable to last year this time and it aligns with your (mgt) philosophy of how an classifieds board should work. Looks to be a winner. - no problem.

I for one am good with it and hope the change continues to work well for you guys...

f8orbust

The loss of the social dimension of selling in a social environment such as a forum is a huge deal - this was often how sales were engineered. Where once there seemed to be the hustle and bustle of a market bazaar (sometimes bizarre would have seemed more appropriate) there's now just silence - an ad with an email address, and no bumping either (even for a price drop - doh!) Plain and simple, ads just go unnoticed and deals go undone. Maybe you do get the same number of ads, but I don't see that many 'sold' signs these days.

No complaint whatsoever with you trying to generate additional revenue, but IMO this style of Buy/Sell isn't the way to do it. Rather, implement it in the manner that APUG does (built on vBulletin as well) - i.e. charge to list in the Buy/Sell section by the month (not per ad) and keep it within the main body of the forum (like it used to be here), so that people can post 'replies' to an advert (a la APUG, FM, etc.).

Just my 2c.

Jim

P.S. Since the info available on GetDPI is like the 'missing manual' for Phase One products, maybe Phase should throw you a few of the $ they've just got from Silverfleet Capital ... Henrik, you listening?

sagar

I agree with an overall sentiment about new B&S section. I agree with Jim that with new model whole concept of "Social Sale" is lost and has become more non-human sale something like mini ebay.

At the same time I also understand logic to generate revenue to support the site. Get DIP should probably look at Fred Miranda or Pentax Forum type paid subscription model.

I believe (just my guess) that would be much more successful for users to sale and GetDPI to generate revenue

2c from me :D

cs750

I am not a fan of the new Buy & Sale. I tried several times to post items for sale and after spending an unreasonable amount of time I listed with another site in 1/3 the time. I made at least two paypal payments, but never was able to get my post published. I posted on the forum concerning my difficulties and lost paypal payments and never heard from anyone..... I love this forum and spend as much time as possible here, and will continue to do so but I firmly believe Buy & Sale should be smooth, fluid, and clear. Thank you for all tthat he moderators and owners do.

fotografz

Jack,

I think you may be underestimating the draw the B/S section had for the forum itself.

Many of the members of GetDpi use pretty exotic gear and turn it over more than most. As such, it generated a core group of like-minded folks over the years that in many instances trusted one another … that the few that didn't adhere to policy are used to punish those that used the F/S section in good faith and practice is unfortunate.

Personally, I'd be willing to pay a subscription fee for the privilege of posting items with F/S or trade, or a request for when looking for something specific.

Would $50 annually work? Renewed annually unless the user unsubscribes?

Just a thought,

- Marc

kdphotography

....Get DIP should probably look at Fred Miranda ....
(sic)

The Fred Miranda forum used to be free and moved to a subscription model. The Fred Miranda forum model basically offers several "subscription" rates, from 30 days, 3 months, 6 months, a year, etc.) You can post items for sale/trade as much as you'd like within that period. Easy to understand and basic rules. Participating in all other areas of the FM forum is free, but you can post images if you have a subscription. Non-subscription members can still contact sellers to make purchases.

It simply works.

Maybe GetDPI could consider making use of its B&S forum tied to its subscription base (currently you pay only for additional image storage). Participants can still post and be part of the GetDPI family, but if you want to use the B&S forum, you need to be a subscribing member. (This is basically how Fred Miranda works; you need to subscribe to post images also, unless linked).

This similarly would still filter out those who visit GetDPI only to sell, while still preserving that social aspect of the GetDPI family---and probably would boost/encourage everyone to subscribe.

My .02 fwiw.

:) ken

Ben Rubinstein

I'm a subscriber to the FM B&S and the prices are right. It is however a vastly larger market place. Sold lots there, not a single thing ever here. Perhaps it should just be allowed to die and let the forum live on.

Sparky16

I have been around for quite a while...posted only a few images, never participated in any conversation (for lack of particular knowledge that was going on).

And I did post a few items for sale, but none was SOLD in this forum (in old version). When I posted a few WTB ad, many REGULAR POSTERS had replied, quite a few lead to completed sales.

I also bought quite a few items from this Buy & Sell ads, raise your hands folks!
I'm looking to buy a low mileage D4 from someone who is upgrading to D4s, but unwilling to post one because there is NO TRAFFIC. I did post a few WTB ad after the Buy N Sell format had been changed to current format, but was still FREE. Received ZERO offers, would I want to post another WTB? Don't think so.

Buy and Sell forum is needed for us buyers as much as for YOU, sellers, and this format isn't going to work as it is.

fotografz

One other thought.

Some may have had less luck selling here (either in the original format or the new one) due to the nature of the membership.

I've had poor results selling regular gear and a booming success selling the more exotic pieces. MFD, higher-end lenses, rarer more expensive accessories sold very swiftly here because the membership at GetDpi is looking for stuff like that, and we have come to know one-another over the years.

In that way the B/S-F/T-WTB section was part of what made this forum quite unique.

Frankly, I came to depend on it so much I now do not know where to go to sell my better pieces to people whom I know and trust.:(

So much so that I definitely would pay a subscription fee for the privilege of selling my pampered gear to those who know me, and I them.

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have sold very little with the new B&S over the old style. But having said that I will not moderate the crap that went on either anymore as it just was way too time consuming. All mods and owners have real jobs too. I don't have a answer here. I do like a subscription based idea to join to just use this section of the forum. I don't know if the software would allow it though.

kdphotography

Frankly, I came to depend on it so much I now do not know where to go to sell my better pieces to people whom I know and trust.:(

The only other trustworthy and worthwhile site to sell your better gear is [email protected]

:ROTFL:

ken

p.s. Imho, a "FredMiranda B&S" forum model would be great. Still allows "free" participation but B&S forum and image posting limited to subscribers. :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Need to remember Fred Miranda's Buy and Sell is a custom built software just for that alone. That takes time and money.