The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New Buy/Sell section

f8orbust

I'm not sure what platform FM is built on - probably a lot of custom code in there = time and money. APUG offers the same essential functionality and is built on vBulletin, same as GetDPI.

sagar

I have done some VB admin thing, B does has subscription feature which could easily replicate FM or Pentax Forum (which runs on VB)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not sure of this software and Bob is the man in charge of doing any code work but let me ask a question. If you where allowed comments with the sole purpose of asking questions BUT with the authors ability to delete any bad comment and police it themselves would that work. I don't know if this is doable but just a thought. I would imagine still no bumping though to get your ad to the top. The biggest mod issues are bumping and policing comments. If we could eliminate that and still charge as they do now would that work. This seems to be the theme of the replies. I like the comments myself but I will NOT as a mod take on the policing of them anymore nor does any other mod. Its just too much time invested.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am in the process of enabling comments on ads.
They are working now, but the styles still need to be worded to make them match the style of the rest of the site.
folks will be able to flag comments for review, but honestly we won't be looking often unless we are PMed about something outrageous.
Folks who comment will be able to edit their comments or delete them.
enjoy.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bob if I had one rule here it would be this. If we as mods have to go in and edit comments because the author is too dang lazy to stay on top of his ad than we at our discretion will simply delete the ad and no refund given. That's my suggestion as the only rule. Just a thought otherwise its your ad you paid for it but you must maintain it.

M

mjr

Morning

With all due respect, I'm not sure I understand all this, obviously it's your site and you do as you like, it's just a forum but the amount of work that must have gone in to changing the site from the old format to the new, the ongoing issues and complaints, now you're working on adding comments, it seems crazy to complain about the amount of work it takes to moderate a forum.

I read the comments about how the b&s section has similar traffic and all that but I just don't see it, there used to be hundreds of adverts, you could post something one day and the next it would be down to the second or third page, it was lively and I often found things I didn't know I needed, not good for the bank balance but good for the forum. Now it looks like you get a couple of ads a week, what are you making from that? Honestly, it can't be anything, Bob's time to get the forum changed to this system must have taken ages, the 4 adverts for April so far aren't going to make you any money.

I understand the moderating issues but that sort of goes with the territory doesn't it? No point starting a forum and then complaining that it takes work to keep things on track, why not just recruit volunteer moderators? Some forums have 1 or 2 moderators per forum section, it's not a full time job, just some people you can trust to be fair but step in when things go to far, shouldn't be that difficult and shouldn't cost you anything.

Ultimately it's just a forum, not worth getting stressed over, if people really prefer the FM selling forums then sell there, it doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things. If you were still getting the volume of adverts you had previously, they were being paid for and people weren't complaining about the usability then you'd be on to a winner but it doesn't appear that any of those things are happening, all you've done is reduce the b&s moderating needs and thrown the baby out with the bath water.

Good luck, I don't envy your task!

Mat

Last edited by a moderator:

kdphotography

The FM forum also does not allow "non-subscribers" to post comments on the B&S forum, so I would think that if something similar to that subscription model were implemented here at GetDPI---there would also be far less need to moderate. Non-subscribers can view and contact sellers by PM to buy. I'm thinking the FM subscription model would reduce the naughty rule breakers to a minimum.

The primary B&S forum rule should always be "Caveat Emptor" or buyer beware, with a close second being the Golden Rule. And leave it at that.

ken