The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New Buy/Sell section

Tim

Hi Bob and mods,

I saw this sub-section and thought I'd kick it off it that is ok, by asking about the new buy/sell section and how will be be able to pay GetDPI to post ads?
Will paypal be an accepted form of payment?

Thanks

Cheers

Tim
PS: move this if you think its in the wrong place.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tim,

First off, this is the right spot for questions like this one, thanks for using it. And yes, PayPal will be the normal payment method. However the forum is going to remain free for at least a few months while we sort out whatever warts we encounter.

mmbma

A little quiet in the new B&S. One suggestion: can we open up replies to the ads? That created a lot of interest and dialogue, and allowed people to ask relevant questions about the ads

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
A little quiet in the new B&S. One suggestion: can we open up replies to the ads? That created a lot of interest and dialogue, and allowed people to ask relevant questions about the ads
There is actually quite a lot of activity and I can see that several items have already sold.
You may ask questions of the seller by simply responding to the ad.
That will send an email to the originator and then you may converse privately about the potential purchase.
The comments on the ads led to all sorts of moderation issues, excessive bumping, complaints by and about folks who were acting as price police.
Sure, the new forum is a "no-drama" zone, but that is actually a good thing.
-bob

mmbma

Thanks for the reply bob. Trying it out as you can see :) Not sure if the old 3 item rule still applies, if so I'll take one off.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply bob. Trying it out as you can see :) Not sure if the old 3 item rule still applies, if so I'll take one off.
Post what you want,
that rule no longer applies.
-bob

GDI

I tried it out with an ad a couple of days ago and, frankly, I don't like it. It went from 2nd (or maybe 1st) on my list of favorite B&S forums straight to the bottom - and that doesn't even take into consideration that it going to a fee structure

I can see it was likely patterned after the L-Camera forum, with no interaction available. I admit I am not a fan of that site, but I think this one is even harder to use with the inability to edit an ad without signing on again with ad-unique credentials/edit key!! I have never encountered that one and I can see no value in it. I think you miss an opportunity to add a lot of value for sellers and buyers by removing the replies. Interaction is very valuable in a community like this. Now I have no idea of the general interest in my ad - or if I have missed something in my description, over-priced it, etc. I usually found the ad threads to be fun and informative, and rarely contentious (even when the community enforced site norms - like advertising used items as new).

Hopefully, you will take a step back and look at the implementation and reconsider - you can still turn ads into income without destroying what was unique about this community. Now it is about as interesting as reading craigslist.

(I would recommend checking out fredmiranda.com as an excellent example of a successful fee-based B&S site that integrates well with the site community)

Thanks - please take my comments in the constructive spirit they are intended.

mmbma

I had that feeling at FIRST but then I actually like the elegance of it. I think this site is fundamentally different from FM because the fanbase is different meaning less churn.

Stupid question to Bob: I get email saying someone responded to my ad, but then it's not in my PM box. Is there a new link to where I could access these responses? Probably I missed something obvious

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I had that feeling at FIRST but then I actually like the elegance of it. I think this site is fundamentally different from FM because the fanbase is different meaning less churn.

Stupid question to Bob: I get email saying someone responded to my ad, but then it's not in my PM box. Is there a new link to where I could access these responses? Probably I missed something obvious
Responses are emailed to your address of record.The response is contained in that email.
The PM system is not used for ad responses. Buyer and seller can communicate directly by email once the response has been received.

-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I actually like the e-mail since you can communicate far better than PM when your on the road with only your cell phone. Its really not that easy to respond via PM on a cell phone. I much prefer the e-mail myself. I actually got one this morning and it was much better this way. Also with e-mail if you want to ad images of product its easier as well.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Changes to new classifieds section:

Improved Search
Now when you search for an ad, you have the capability to select just certain brands, so a Leica user now can filter for only ads that the OP has categorized as Leica.
If you think that additional brands are required, please let me know and I will ad popular ones.

You also have the ability for searching the whole text and title of ads for any phrase you wish.
Search criteria include poster, price range and country. So if you want to only look at, say Guy Mancuso's ads it is easy to do. Country is a little rough since I didn't have the forethought to restrict choices, so be warned, you may need to try different spellings. Fixing this is on my to-do list.

Ad Ratings
We have added the ability to comment on ads sort of indirectly. Moderation of comments placed on ads has been a real problem for us in the past. Folks got hurt feelings, the price police were a common issue, and in general it detracted from the message contained in the ad itself. Now, you can express your opinion about an ad by clicking on the rating stars located above each ad. The ad will display the average of all ratings received.
So if you think that it is a really good deal, go ahead and click five stars, and if you think that it is terrible click one. If nobody has rated an ad it will have no stars displayed.

User Ad Editing
We have added the capability of editing your ads without the use of the edit key. We have not yet styled this page to match the rest of the site since I thought it best to provide the capability quickly due to user feedback. You must be logged on through the forum to be able to edit your ad.

RSS Feeds
RSS feeds are enabled, so if you have any RSS reader you can keep a constant tab on what is happening in the classifieds section. Some readers even offer on-screen alerts so you can get spammed all day long LOL

I hope that these changes will improve the user experience.
thanks
-bob

Last edited:

mmbma

I actually like the e-mail since you can communicate far better than PM when your on the road with only your cell phone. Its really not that easy to respond via PM on a cell phone. I much prefer the e-mail myself. I actually got one this morning and it was much better this way. Also with e-mail if you want to ad images of product its easier as well.
One suggestion as I use it. I love the email system as well. HOWEVER I'd much love to see whether if the respondent is a senior member/new member/ or not

No way to do this unless I log back to the site and do a manual search with his user name I think. It would be so much better if that's labeled in the email. Just my 2 cents

etrigan63

I cannot place an ad. It says I have to be logged on. No links are showing to log on. When I go to the forum. I am logged on. System problem or PEBCAK?

V

Vivek

I cannot place an ad. It says I have to be logged on. No links are showing to log on. When I go to the forum. I am logged on. System problem or PEBCAK?
Carlos, As I understand it, it is a separate site. You need a wordpress account to log in.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
There is an unfortunate bit of wording on that page which is on my to-do list to repair.
The login link is at the top.
When you log-in to the getdpi forum, you effective have logged on to wordpress as well.
-bob

Sparky16

I would like to see the FS post to the top(effectively the same as bumping) when the FS item has NEW ASKING PRICE, like someone does quite often (you know who).

jlm

Workshop Member
just placed an ad; was not able to directly add a picture which i have stored in my gallery.

suggest the ability to drop in a link to the pic rather than browse my hard drive