The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is the preferred image size for posting in the forums these days?

Amin

I've always posted here at the 1024px image size, but lately I've noticed more members posting images 1100px or 1300px wide. I think I've seen some 1600px wide images as well.

My main monitor for reading these forums is 2560 wide, so I'd love for everyone to post 1600px images, but I know that makes for horizontal scrolling for anyone on a lower-res display.

Is there an official image size guideline for the forum? Unfortunately Flickr jumps from 1024 to 1600 without a size option in between, so I'm stick with 1024 unless 1600 is okay...

k-hawinkler

I've always posted here at the 1024px image size, but lately I've noticed more members posting images 1100px or 1300px wide. I think I've seen some 1600px wide images as well.

My main monitor for reading these forums is 2560 wide, so I'd love for everyone to post 1600px images, but I know that makes for horizontal scrolling for anyone on a lower-res display.

Is there an official image size guideline for the forum? Unfortunately Flickr jumps from 1024 to 1600 without a size option in between, so I'm stick with 1024 unless 1600 is okay...
Thanks Amin. Great question. I would prefer up to 1600 as well.

Ben Rubinstein

My screen is 1920*1080 but for those on ipads or the like would it not be a problem? Does also slow down browsing on an image heavy thread, especially when using phone type speeds.

Amin

I just noticed that the site automatically shows my images at 1200px if I post them at 1600px. Very convenient!

Leigh

I just noticed that the site automatically shows my images at 1200px if I post them at 1600px.
Very convenient!
Convenient, perhaps, but desirable???

That depends entirely on the quality of the algorithm the site uses to re-size the photos
versus the quality of the algorithm you personally use to accomplish that.

- Leigh

kweide

1000 px widest side is what i do but i think to reduce it significantly due to excessive picture thefts...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I noticed that if you go beyond 1200 with a gallery image link the forum crushes the horizontal to 1200 but does not scale the verticals. Panos get squashed.

However, I have noticed some people posting wider images that don't get scaled. How is that achieved? External links only?

Knorp

I noticed that if you go beyond 1200 with a gallery image link the forum crushes the horizontal to 1200 but does not scale the verticals. Panos get squashed.

However, I have noticed some people posting wider images that don't get scaled. How is that achieved? External links only?
I noticed that larger images at times do show up unscaled on my screen only to be down scaled a few moments later.
Making me believe the actual down scaling to 1200 pixels is happening on one's device and not on the central server :shocked:
Which makes the whole idea somewhat silly IMO.

Kind regards.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If I take the direct link to a larger image and paste into a browser window it's the full size which suggests it's the page HTML/scripting forcing the browser to shrink the image. I guess I could check the code myself :) (too lazy)

Ok, I did check the page rendering code for the browser and it does indeed check the X/Y dimensions but only fixes whichever is > 1200.

Last edited:

Knorp

Well there you go ! So far then for preserving bandwidth on slow internet links or save resources for limited devices :wtf:
Although I support limiting image dimensions, I'd rather like to see it properly executed on the server.
What's the point otherwise :loco:

Kind regards.