The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The "Old" B&S is now back by popular demand!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well, when we're wrong, we're wrong. As moderators, we LOVED the new B&S as it required very little work from us to manage. As owners we loved the bump in revenue to help keep this site afloat. We may add a PayPal donation button? Anyway, enough of you pinged us and complained about the lack of community feel, that you convinced us to reinstate the old B&S.

Rules are same as before, and it is free. But unfortunately this means we will have to moderate more.

So here is what will change: we will be doing a lot of moderation WITHOUT sending explanations -- PM-ing you about what you did wrong took a ton of time. Also, we won't be responding to PM's to us about things like, "Why did you delete my FS post?" You can read the rules and figure it out for yourself -- if you bumped more than once in 24 hours, it will probably get deleted. And for the jokers that try to scam the system by adding a comment like "All PM's replied to!" just to bump, we count that as a bump and will quietly delete your thread.

Capisce? (This last word is directly from Guy ;) )

bradhusick

fantastic! good decision.

put in a contribute via paypal button and i will start the donations with $10.

I urge everyone who's a regular here to join me in supporting GetDPI

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Damn don't I get a 20 percent off on everything I buy. LOL

Now that should be a new rule for sure.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
fantastic! good decision.

put in a contribute via paypal button and i will start the donations with $10.

I urge everyone who's a regular here to join me in supporting GetDPI
Thanks for your donation!
-bob

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
We may add a PayPal donation button?
I don't have any idea on the net cost involved running such a place, but I sure am glad it exists, from all the fora on photography, this is the one and only left that I visit regulary.

Just an idea, why not do a yearly fundraiser? People could donate gear they don't use anymore, accessories like filters, or the odd Arca Swiss Cube that collects dust :ROTFL:, or prints etc.

Then everyone who donates a few bucks get's his ticket into the hat and winners will be drawn.

I know this works VERY well with a composers forum. Here, even some manufacturers generously contributed with some gear, who knows, might be even possible in some ways here, not sure. One has to talk to companies to get them on board.

All my best
and Thanks for the Forum!
Georg

sagar

Another idea could be a VBulletin App that you can set a yearly target tracker and display at some visible place. Its nice GUI tracker that can tell people funds required and progress as people donate.

Double Negative

Not Available
Woohoo! Hopefully B&S activity will pick up again now. Sorry it didn't work out though.

"...and there was great rejoicing throughout the land!" :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the donations -- we really do appreciate it! FOr those that are having issues finding it, it's in an announcement header at the top of the B&S forum. We had to initiate it that way since it requires html and we leave that disabled to avoid hacking issues in the main forum. We are working on getting a donation button placed visibly on the header page for the site, so stay tuned for that ;)

Tim

Is it worth showing who donated? Perhaps the words "Site Supporter" or similar wording - I've seen this on other forums. It could placed under the Join Date on the posters panel to the left of posts.

Not trying to make more work for you guys though :p

Sparky16

Thanks!

Now I noticed the B&S forum is live and well.
I'm waiting to see someone offering gently priced D4 or D4s, and a D810. :D :D

Godfrey

Is it worth showing who donated? Perhaps the words "Site Supporter" or similar wording - I've seen this on other forums. It could placed under the Join Date on the posters panel to the left of posts.

Not trying to make more work for you guys though :p
I don't know that it's sensible to put pressure on folks to donate with such tagging. Those that value the site will donate.

(Thanks, Jack, for putting the Donate button in a nice, obvious location. :)

G