The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

We have upgraded to vBulletin 4 Time for a fresh bug list

jlm

Workshop Member
the text color when doing a search is too close to the background color of the text window (was searching for a post in B/S)

seems to occur with other text windows as well

Last edited:

rayyan

Bob, a very big undertaking indeed. You and the team working with you have done a super job.:clap:

Thank you.

seakayaker

Have there been changes to how images are attached?

I just added a few images and now they appear as small (no complaint about that) then when you click on them they appear larger but it appears you are controlling the size (no complaint about that either).

Thanks for all your work with the upgrade, looking great!

S

Simon

Have there been changes to how images are attached?

I just added a few images and now they appear as small (no complaint about that) then when you click on them they appear larger but it appears you are controlling the size (no complaint about that either).

Thanks for all your work with the upgrade, looking great!
Yeah the default way vBulletin4 works is it creates a thumbnail version of any attached images which it displays (Think its set at a width of 600) and clicking it brings up a larger version in a lightbox. Even this is often scaled down a little but if you click it again it will load the full size image

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I uploaded a couple of photos to the gallery, and now they are waiting for a moderator. Is that the way it's intentioned to be? In that case, I must upload my photos to another gallery. Part of the fun is to get stuff online right away.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I uploaded a couple of photos to the gallery, and now they are waiting for a moderator. Is that the way it's intentioned to be? In that case, I must upload my photos to another gallery. Part of the fun is to get stuff online right away.
Should be fixed.
-bob

Godfrey

My photos are hosted on Flickr or my own server. I don't upload them separately to every bulletin board forum. I find I can still use the IMG url /IMG mechanism, but I have to enter it manually—the image tool defaults to uploading the image here now.

Can we get another icon that loads images from a url the old way? Thx.

G

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
My photos are hosted on Flickr or my own server. I don't upload them separately to every bulletin board forum. I find I can still use the IMG url /IMG mechanism, but I have to enter it manually—the image tool defaults to uploading the image here now.

Can we get another icon that loads images from a url the old way? Thx.

G
it still exists sort of.
The old way was to simply link to the image. That makes the forum and mobile views not under control of the forum software. The problem with a pure url is that it forces the browser (including mobile) to scale the image once the whole thing has been downloaded.
To upload images click the insert image icon in the editor.
Once there you will find two tabs,
one from computer which allows the uploading of files, and one from URL which does an upload (to create scaled images for thumbnails and for mobile).
I am having a harder time finding the actual image url in flickr since they seem to have obfuscated it a bit.
What Flickr does offer is a BBCode option.
Simply select that option, then copy/paste it into your post.

-bob

Godfrey

Hmm. I really don't like the way BBS forum software does scaling most of the time, and I'm not thrilled with seeing attachments of my photos besides what I post inline in the message. I size my photos specifically for when I post them to the world to see, it's part of the rendering process.

But I use the BBCode output from Flickr most of the time, and nip the direct image URL when that's important if I don't want the click-through to work. I don't know why that's difficult. :)

G

Godfrey

View attachment 93135
from flickr by uploading from URL
Icelandic Horse by Bob Freund, on Flickr

Second example is by copy/paste the BBCode option from flickr.

I presume the second image is the size that you set the image to be, without scaling. Look at the over-sharpening in the first, a result of scaling and resharpening.
My example ... Done right, the two images should be identical and unscaled (the photo is 1200 pixels wide).

from flickr by uploading from URL (retrieve from remote and reference locally disabled):

Leica M-P + Nokton 50/1.5 ASPH (LTM)

from flickr with BBCode:

You do have to be sure you capture the hard link from the original post sizing, not from a scaled version. Flickr adaptively scales things too; it's why I hate seeing scaled photos.

Note that on my iPad mini, both your images appear the same size. On my 27" display, your two photos appear two different sizes. Both my images appear the same size (smaller) on either device, and are scaled much less obtrusively on the iPad.

G

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I presume the second image is the size that you set the image to be, without scaling. Look at the over-sharpening in the first, a result of scaling and resharpening.
My example ... Done right, the two images should be identical and unscaled (the photo is 1200 pixels wide).

from flickr by uploading from URL (retrieve from remote and reference locally disabled):

from flickr with BBCode:

You do have to be sure you capture the hard link from the original post sizing, not from a scaled version. Flickr adaptively scales things too; it's why I hate seeing scaled photos.

Note that on my iPad mini, both your images appear the same size. On my 27" display, your two photos appear two different sizes. Both my images appear the same size (smaller) on either device, and are scaled much less obtrusively on the iPad.

G
Actually the original on flickr was 800 px wide.
Our display column width is 1200, so the image was up-rezed.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Every image I load into our gallery is 1200 px wide. That's why I use our gallery than some other web site like flicker. Folks you get free space use it.

Godfrey

Actually the original on flickr was 800 px wide.
Our display column width is 1200, so the image was up-rezed.
-bob
Exactly what I want to avoid happening to my photos, bob. All my photos are output to fit within tha 1200 max bounding box, with some minor exceptions. I don't trust the gallery to resize them the way I want them to appear.

And Guy, I participate on at least seven different forums as well and a few mailing lists. Flickr and my own web server are the basis of my posted image management. I won't change that for one small forum. The majority of the audience that follows my work is certainly not on GetDPI... Many of them are people who buy photographs, not camera gear. :)

G

scho

I'm also having real problems with uploading images to the fora. My old method no longer works (embedded image link in small 1024 image) to get a larger size and uploading 1200 pixel images directly from my desktop are also downsized and resharpened. I'll just wait until this is sorted out before posting more images.

EDIT: I'm now using the old

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It can be done at the expense of mobile users which now constitute about 25% of all our page views.
Where I am most concerned is for those folks who store a very large images some as large as 80 Mpx, where a direct url to the image would cause that entire image to be downloaded to their mobile device and only then scaled by their browser.
That adds considerable load time when browsing the site by such devices if such large images are referenced.
I hope that folks will have the good sense not to directly link huge images as it really slows down thread browsing.
-bob

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
not a huge deal, but i am noticing the new images shown on the right side seem way over-saturated

Godfrey

L
It can be done at the expense of mobile users which now constitute about 25% of all our page views.
Where I am most concerned is for those folks who store a very large images some as large as 80 Mpx, where a direct url to the image would cause that entire image to be downloaded to their mobile device and only then scaled by their browser.
That adds considerable load time when browsing the site by such devices if such large images are referenced.
I hope that folks will have the good sense not to directly link huge images as it really slows down thread browsing.
-bob
I make it policy that I upload and link 1200 pixel wide images for in-line viewing, and if a larger representation is needed that is made available by an explicit additional link so that viewers know they will be downloading something big. That way my flickr original upload is always the correct size (typically 125-400K) and renders properly on all devices without too much unnecessary overhead.

G