The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is it just me?

I have the same difficulty others have mentioned with the 'Fun With XYZ' threads. I appreciate camera-designated threads when something new comes out that interests me. I've found invaluable advice here about the Q and SL Leicas that I've decided not to buy, and the A7rII and RX1rII Sonys that seem to be replacing my Leica gear. And I see the sense of the gear topics when folks want to discuss the latest camera with light leaks, or the options and movements in technical cameras. But it's an odd way to organize a photographic 'library.' It would be nice if folks would routinely add a tag with the camera/lens they used, but that's not my primary approach to visual imagery.

Even when I'm thinking about equipment, I don't take web images to be very strong indictors of what the equipment might do. Taking web resolution into account, the photographer's style and vision and post-processing skills are usually greater variables than the gear.

I'll add, though, that I'm quite impressed with the quality of work posted here. That's why I've gravitated here from LUF and RFF. From the perspective of strong and inspiring photography, genres are the best organizing principle, with the gear-topics retained primarily for interesting products and technical questions, minus the 'Fun with XYZ's.'

Kirk

Last edited:

Godfrey

The "Fun with ..." threads are most of what I read nowadays. Plus most of the threads that ask questions or supply information about the Leica SL and M cameras.

I have retired from the "new latest most wonderful new equipment" threads. With the Leica SL and M-P in hand, I don't need anything more and, in all honesty, I've lost interest in pursuing any further equipment and most equipment discussion too rapidly ratholes into the "this vs that" stuff that is so tedious.

I'm more interested in people showing wonderful photographs with their favorite cameras, whether they be modern ones like the ones I use, modern ones like the ones others use, or older film cameras. I'm more interested in sharing and talking about techniques to make photographs with the equipment you have.

When the conversations are all about nothing but gear, gear, gear, they become sterile and obsessed.

Reorganizing the forum around various photo categories ... Hmm. I've seen many forums organized exclusively that way. They get very few new members after a time, and generally wither away. Show photos with your favorite camera, look at photos made with cameras you like ... it seems more successful.

What else sustains a conversation? If you can think of that, post it and move on with it.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have retired from the "new latest most wonderful new equipment" threads. With the Leica SL and M-P in hand, I don't need anything more and, in all honesty, I've lost interest in pursuing any further equipment and most equipment discussion too rapidly ratholes into the "this vs that" stuff that is so tedious.

G
I'm also trying to pretend that I'm not interested in fantastic new gear and that all that matters to me is to make the best possible photos with my existing gear. I'm not nearly as good at pretending as Godfrey though :ROTFL:

Godfrey

I'm also trying to pretend that I'm not interested in fantastic new gear and that all that matters to me is to make the best possible photos with my existing gear. I'm not nearly as good at pretending as Godfrey though...
Thank you for the compliment. Just watch how well I can "pretend"...

G

Tim

Due to current circumstances, I've found now that I have evolved into another category which I've seen people do in other pursuits and that is "bang for buck" or enough camera to do the job. I have a nephew who is drives in a motocross event with a tight budget in under 1300cc and having a blast. You can get great imagery from most current cameras these days. What is remarkable is how lazy I am to carry and use anything of any weight. I specifically bought a Phone that has a Sony IMX240 sensor just to have a good phone camera.

Few of my images need super res, I can't go for large prints right now so I think I may move back to the 16-24 Mp arena for now. We just have to remember the days when the norm was 2.0 Mp and the Pro had a 8.0 Mp to appreciate what we have on offer right now.

In all honesty I just enjoy it all, ... the art, the moving image, the technique talk, gear talk the low fi to the MF stitches.

PS: I meant to include Hiredarm in the post further up. He contributes to many areas like others.

Hosermage

In terms of pure image sharing, RFF's "W/NW Words no Words" section is pretty lively. Someone simply start a thread with a specific subject matter, then people start posting images that match it. I especially like the photo association thread.

pegelli

Well, I'm sure what you mean - I would hesitate to post my Nikon or Lumix or large format (hehe) street photos in a Sony thread. Perhaps others don't, maybe it's just me.
Sorry to rake up an old discussion, but there is a gear agnostic street image thread here

Question for the moderators:

Can we change the titles of two things:
- Remove "Artful" from the forum "Artful Images to share, incl. NSFW"
- Rename the sticky thread in there to "PAD - Picture a Day - Have Fun"

Maybe that will encourage people to post more there, at least that's what I'm hoping :cool:

In terms of pure image sharing, RFF's "W/NW Words no Words" section is pretty lively. Someone simply start a thread with a specific subject matter, then people start posting images that match it. I especially like the photo association thread.
Following this lead, I took a look at RFF again – I hadn't been going there very often since switching from Leica bodies to Sony.

Yes, it's active. But I looked especially at the BW thread and couldn't help concluding the photography just isn't as strong there, from both sides – either technically or aesthetically.

I'm one of those who wishes we could sort out the Canon-Nikon-Sony gear threads from the display of images. I like to check up on gear for the companies/systems I own, but I don't really think of my work (or anyone else's) as 'Sony fun,' let alone broken down into Fun with 'Sony ___,' 'A7xx,' 'RX1rII,' and 'Old Lenses.' Just doesn't make sense to me.

Kirk

V

Vivek

I believe that changing a thread's title isn't going to do much.

jerome_m

Sorry to answer so late, but I missed that thread at the time.

There is something I would like to point out: all forums are losing users, not only getdpi. Traffic is down here, but it is down everywhere else.

V

Vivek

Sorry to answer so late, but I missed that thread at the time.

There is something I would like to point out: all forums are losing users, not only getdpi. Traffic is down here, but it is down everywhere else.
That is correct. There is a sea change from a short while ago.

I believe social networks (facebook and such) have attracted a lot of them.

Michiel Schierbeek

That is correct. There is a sea change from a short while ago.

I believe social networks (facebook and such) have attracted a lot of them.
That is true. There is great bunch of great Photographers on FB and they almost never talk their gear, instead they are interested
in subject and style.It is all about photography and it is sort of a relief.
It is photographicly the most inspiring place to be for me at the moment.
You can make friends with people whose photographic work is of interest to you.
I'll almost never use FB for private small talk or funny video's.

Although it is nice and informing to talk about (new) gear, it is also very restricting in the sense that people never leave their comfort zone.
That is the reason why I didn't notice the discussion here. You're tubed to your (little) gear department.
It would be better to have photographic themes on top and the gear specific talk/pictures into second place, so photographers with different
equipment can really meet. I think it is a mistake to keep people apart because of what gear they use.
It creates different gear related fanboy war zones.

Like on FM, almost nobody is ever leaving their comfort zone.
The Sony FE images thread is so popular that people are completely focussed on that one thread and so
busy liking each other that one loses focus on the reality of photography itself.

Last edited:
J

JohnW

Michiel, that's an interesting observation about FB and photography. I never thought about it that way, but you're right, it's never about gear there.

I follow John Free, Mark Tucker, Bill Schwab, and Rebecca Norris Webb. Tucker can be a little political, but his photography is so good. Generally the rest post with some substance.

John

That is true. There is great bunch of great Photographers on FB and they almost never talk their gear, instead they are interested

Although it is nice and informing to talk about (new) gear, it is also very restricting in the sense that people never leave their comfort zone.
That is the reason why I didn't notice the discussion here. You're tubed to your (little) gear department.
It would be better to have photographic themes on top and the gear specific talk/pictures into second place, so photographers with different
equipment can really meet. I think it is a mistake to keep people apart because of what gear they use.

The Sony FE images thread is so popular that people are completely focussed on that one thread and so
busy liking each other that one loses focus on the reality of photography itself.

V

Vivek

I agree with parts of it (very strongly). I am quite averse to the Mutual Appreciation Society (liking each other. one for one, literally) (MAS). MAS is a polite version of a better term that can not be typed here.

I had (trying to sell them now) all kinds of photo gear (all are for sale now) and like every kind of photography. So, I can not be put in Sony FE or Leica whatever category. :LOL:

I could not care less about FB even if no photography exists without it though. No offence to anyone using that platform.

jerome_m

That is true. There is great bunch of great Photographers on FB and they almost never talk their gear, instead they are interested in subject and style. It is all about photography and it is sort of a relief.
Not only facebook. There are quite a few blogs, online "magazines", tumblr accounts, etc... with photographic content. It is noticeably different to the photographic content one sees on forums, gear sites and flickr.

I don't have a facebook account, so I can't follow photographers on facebook, but I have a question: on facebook, aren't you supposed to run a "professional" page if you want to present yourself as a photographer? By default, personal pages are "personal", meaning one is supposed to use them primarily to link to their family and friends, I think?

Michiel Schierbeek

Not only facebook. There are quite a few blogs, online "magazines", tumblr accounts, etc... with photographic content. It is noticeably different to the photographic content one sees on forums, gear sites and flickr.

I don't have a facebook account, so I can't follow photographers on facebook, but I have a question: on facebook, aren't you supposed to run a "professional" page if you want to present yourself as a photographer? By default, personal pages are "personal", meaning one is supposed to use them primarily to link to their family and friends, I think?
No not at all. If you only want to communicate with photographs its allright. There are other channels (as well) to communicate with family and friend without letting the whole world know what you're doing.

jerome_m

No not at all. If you only want to communicate with photographs its allright. There are other channels (as well) to communicate with family and friend without letting the whole world know what you're doing.
Well... no, not really. Some members of my family are very much into facebook. If I get an account, I know very well that I will be expected to spend time each day to like and comment on their extensive feeds. I also know that they will then only contact me via facebook. They already complain that they have to remember my email address or phone when they need to contact me while "facebook is so much more convenient".

I also wonder about the aspect of "social validation" on facebook. Forums are quite simple: one has to prove value by posting interesting stuff. One can even be anonymous on a forum. Facebook appears to be quite different. I had an interesting discussion with an artist a few months ago. Her gallerist made it quite clear that her professional must be curated between other artists (successful ones) and followers. She cannot follow people who are not successful artists, that would not reflect positively on her work. Apparently, there is no place for amateurs in that ecosystem, except as customers of course.

fotografz

When Jack and Guy started this forum it was partly in reaction to the increasingly trollish activity on Photo.net/Leica forum … which was a particularly nasty place then. This forum swiftly became an oasis in a troll infested landscape of photography forums.

For a good deal of time GetDpi had the distinction of being a major source (if not the major source) of Medium Format Digital experience and technical expertise … which was much needed and highly valued. The participation in the MF section was what Sony now seems to enjoy.

The point being that as technology has swiftly advanced, how to actually use some of these complex machines has grown exponentially. I think that is the source of where attention tends to gravitate here.

Personally, I like to see what folks are doing with their choice of gear across the spectrum … and have e-mail notifications on a lot of GetDpi subjects and "Fun With" threads. So, I come here most every day if even for a few minutes.

However, I do split my attention between different sites. While I like many images here, the chosen subject matter often tends not to be my cup of tea. While I do marvel at a wonderful landscape from time-to-time, it's a subject of little interest to me.

I like the art of photography and like to see what is emerging in that area, so I often visit the Burn site: http://www.burnmagazine.org … to name but one.

Since I use a Leica camera and "birds of a feather flock together", I visit the LFI Gallery and view the Master Shots: http://lfi-online.de/ceemes/de/gallery/mastershots/s.html … which are devoid of tech talk other than knowing it was shot with a M or S or other Leica camera/lens. Also, you don't have to contend with Leica Bashing Trolls like on other sites.

Facebook has become a source of contact with like-minded photographers … via the Public FaceBook Groups … for example, I get e-mail notifications when someone posts in the Leica Meet group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LeicaMeet/photos/ … there seems to be groups for almost anything you can think of and if not, you can start one.

I also follow photo friends on FaceBook, like my pal Irakly Shanidze: People on photos of Irakly Shanidze … https://www.facebook.com/groups/123148361098845/ … since it is all in Russian I can only enjoy the images without any commentary distracting me … LOL!

Or local photographers who have caught my attention with interesting takes on subjects I'm familiar with … like Bruce Giffin (whose "social" work I have purchased and display in my home) … https://www.facebook.com/bruce.giffin.5?fref=hovercard

I have a FaceBook site which I sparingly visit, nor for some reason do I have to contend with spam from there. It just gets me into all the group sites and discussions about art and artistic photography.

Lastly, I've move in a direction involving lighting to a much greater degree than many on this site seem to do. So, I go to lighting sites and manufacturers sites which have demonstrations and techniques.

GetDpi remains my favorite site, although it has changed … some favorite folks have wandered off which is a shame because they were/are so darned good at the art of photography.

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For most people this is a hobby and like many Hobbies they lose interest after awhile and wander off. That's seems to be natural progression. Some get bored and myself I get tired of it sometimes and busy with family. But what bugs me is when I do these long tests and post I get very few responses as that's a clear sign folks are losing interest. I know one thing I can't carry this place so it needs people to do that. Not sure what else to say but I feel sometimes forums are becoming a slow death as social media is taking over which I honestly have zero interest in. One other issue is a lot of gear companies are really not doing much to talk about. Folks the IPhone has ruined many things