The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New style with the GRD2

otumay

Otumay

Nice set of environmental portraits!

The desaturation works well here
Thanks, though I did not grasp what you meant by 'environmental' here. As for desaturation, I always thought that the Ricoh is a little too saturated, so desaturation or b+w works for me. Anyway, the funny thing is that, I can no longer go out without my Ricoh in my pocket. Addiction? We'll see...:grin:
Osman

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Environmental portraits are usually considered outside the studio in a natural environment. I go through this with clients all the time asking them what they want environmental portraits or studio shots.

This could be a US description only not sure if this applies around the globe

Lili

Environmental portraits are usually considered outside the studio in a natural environment. I go through this with clients all the time asking them what they want environmental portraits or studio shots.

Guy, that is exactly what i meant :)

otumay

Thanks a lot Guy. I'm learning, I'm learning...:eek:

DavidE

Here's another desaturated photo from PMA.

I think the other two are stronger, but this one is worth keeping. I like the composition and the fact we focus on the makeup woman more than the model. I played around with the color, and it seems to work better with faded color than with b&w.

F

fishric

I really like the look of these de-saturated photos.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has looked at his prints or slides and thought how bright and colourful they are compared to ones memory. For an example of this, try Fuji Velvia and a polarising filter, it can make an ordinary beach scene look suitable for a holiday brochure.
I'm sure a little de-saturation is a return to reality.
Cheers,
Richard F.

JimCollum

i'm not sure i'd qualify the original images as 'desaturated' abnormally. I just think most people are used to the look of 'chrome' images.. which are typically more saturated than reality.

If you look at some of the classic work done using color negative film, you'll find that those images are still less saturated than the ones found here. Most digital cameras tend to emulate the look of color transparency material.

(all images Copyright Richard Misrach)

DavidE

I just think most people are used to the look of 'chrome' images.. which are typically more saturated than reality.
It's similar to how televisions are sold with heightened color and brightness levels. Rather than match the muted colors of real life, we assume we need to ramp up the color and brightness in order to get our money's worth.

JimCollum

It's similar to how televisions are sold with heightened color and brightness levels. Rather than match the muted colors of real life, we assume we need to ramp up the color and brightness in order to get our money's worth.
yea.. it's funny how the eye/brain becomes used to things. I started reading this thread near the end.. then went to the beginning. I was confused, because i couldn't find any desaturated images :)

helenhill

Here are a couple of shots from the PMA convention last month.I used a Canon 40D with a 50mm f1.4 lens

DAVID
Truly Lovely...... These shots remind me of an exhibit Mary McCartney did
a few years back with the British Royal Ballet (For Olympus) with the Olympus E1
Cheers ! Helen ;)

DavidE

Truly Lovely...... These shots remind me of an exhibit Mary McCartney did a few years back with the British Royal Ballet (For Olympus) with the Olympus E1
Cheers ! Helen ;)
Thanks, Helen. I did a Google search to see some of the McCartney ballet photos. I found a few here: http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/exh_gfx_en/ART28417.html. Looks like a fine group of photos.

The setup with the models at PMA was a good way to get over my shyness with taking pictures of people. I still feel as though I'm imposing.

I watched a documentary last week on Henri Cartier-Bresson (it's running on the Sundance Channel). He made the point that it's best to take a few pictures and then wait patiently for your subjects to become used to your being there. That's when you'll be able to capture photos that are more genuine. Having a small camera like a GRD2 would help. It looks like a point-and-shoot.