The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New style with the GRD2

otumay

Other worldly! Congratulations! Are these retouched colour-wise, or just natural? Any shots out in the open?
Cheers,
Osman

Daniel

They are retouched, when I don't want the strong colours to "overdoe" the subject - I hope it make sence?
This was exactly my first impression when i saw the first picture here. I like it. The overall muted color-scheme is pleasing without competing with the subject.

– dan

V

VladimirV

Great pictures, they work in "color" better than in b&w.

Lili

Ellemand
I very much like the understated color here, it adds a touch to the images without overwhelming.
A very pleasing effect :)

E

ellemand

Hey Dan, Vladimir, Guy and Lili.

Thank you very much for your comments.
I was a little exited to see, if the "new look" was all-right. I can asume, that I can continue developing the "style" :thumbup:

Cheers
Ellemand
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellemand/

A

asabet

I like these as well. The desaturated colors work very well here!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree Mitch the selective color one's just don't do much for me. I played around with just some desaturation of color and it works very nicely with some images. I use LR and there are some pretty cool presets out there you can download but more important you can just select some of them and see the effect immediately and it gives you some nice idea's on which way you want stuff to look. i admit a lazy man's way of doing it but still gives you a good idea

E

ellemand

Hey Sun, Mitch and Guy.

Thanks for comments.
Sun; always fun to try something new!
Mitch; don't worry - I would never stop working with b/w, but sometimes one get an idea - and then one have to try it out.
Guy; what do you mean? First you like them - and now you don't like them ;)

Cheers and thanks to you all.
Ellemand

cam

some of these work for me but, for the most part, i have to agree with Mitch that i prefer the originals. then again, i have a huge preference for black and white and only like colour when it adds another dimension -- as it does with the fur coat and possibly the train station (though i didn't see the b/w of that).

desaturating, like selective colour, is very stylistic. a little is fun, too much (or many) gets gimmicky. i think your photos are far too good to fall into that. the strength of your images don't need a gimmick. i love that you experimented, though, and shared it with us!

E

ellemand

Hey cam.

Thank you for your opinion - always appreciated.
The kind words goes to my heart :)
One of the fun things about photography is, the possibility to go different ways with our work - just to see, if it works for one.

Cheers
Ellemand

Maggie O

I really like these and I disagree that your use of selective color is gimmicky. Hell, once a straight color print was considered a gimmick. In your case, I see not so much a selective color gimmick, but rather, a different color palate than the usual.

Well done.

nostatic

I think of it as "semi-color."

I'd actually be interested in seeing a bit more radical and/or selective application. May not work, but always worth the experiment. For instance in the bar picture the wall is a pale green. Maybe saturate that and the red jacket and tablecloth.

Don't know...I'm just riffing. Historically I've shied away from pp, but I'm getting more comfortable with it now.

E

ellemand

Hey Maggie.

Thanks for your respons.
I haven't used selective color - only saturation - to these pictures.
I'll not give up the b/w - but I like to make something different at times.
And I'll also admit, that I like some of these pictures myself :angel:

Cheers
Ellemand

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This style sort of reminds me of the IR color stuff i did in Moab . This is a B&W IR shot merged with a straight color shot. Just for illustration