The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

extreme crops

smokysun

just a note. all of these shot with the dusty sensor. so it's easy to clean them up. that said, i'm sending this one back to keh, and i just received one off ebay ($300) which appears like new. now where can i find a half case at a reasonable price to keep dust out of the battery compartment? is the dp1s only a myth, as some have suggested? only one store in germany has listed it, sigma silent.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. wonderful to have a dp1 that feels like new. we'll see if dust on the sensor tomorrow. bought a fair trade warranty just in case.

pollobarca

Wayne,
Japan Exposures have some very nice half cases. Not cheap but when you hold it in your hand you realise its worth the money.Real leather that smells like the leather from 40 years ago ( when shoes had to be broken in, painfully)
and really resistant. Mine this summer was covered in sweat that was running off me. It protected the camera and not a single stain, even on the neck strap. Get the optional back flap, its worth it.
Heres mine on the Ricoh gx100.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/sets/72157608382425022/
They make them for dozens of camera types.
heres the Sigma model
http://www.camera-hirano.jp/shopbrand/022/006/X/

The maker is camera hirano, the reseller is Dirk at Japan exposures. The price is exactly the same. I bought mine through a friend in Japan but really its easier through Japan exposures.It will cost half the price of your dp1 about 140 usd, BTW I asked the chinese leather workers here how much to knock out copies. They told me I had a bargain from Hirano, as unless they could knock out a few thousand there was no sense for them bettering the price.

b rgds

H

HansM

wayne,
would the original sigma leather case do the trick? i bought one for my dp2 and never really used it, as it fits the dp2 a little too tight (the lens cap gets stuck in it four out of five times, quite a hassle). presumably we could arrive at a price that is acceptable for both of us. let me know.
two related questions: do you live in germany? that would make things a little easier, as i live in holland. secondly: what is all this dust trouble about? you mention dust on the sensor (how did it get there? any suggestions on how to avoid it?) and dust in the battery/card compartment (same questions).
thanks in advance & good luck,
hans muus

smokysun

hi paul,
thanks for the links. the case looks beautiful. i realized i'd lose the benefit of the richard franiec grip, which makes the camera a whole new instrument. i did find a cheaper model on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/SIGMA-DP1-GENUI...in_0?hash=item27ab7ddbd4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 same problem.

hi hans,
i really appreciate the offer. oddly, i wanted a case to help keep out the dust! (read the note above.) a thread on the dp review sigma forum said 30% of dp1 owners report dust getting on the sensor. they said the camera not sealed well. personally i think that estimate way too high, but two of my dp1's have suffered. just being aware of the problem helps. don't leave it uncovered on the shelf. use the extension tube and hood. (maybe a uv filter). be careful changing the battery and inserted card. it's very expensive and time-consuming having sigma clean it, so i'd say live with the dust, if you get it. it cleans up easily. not a camera for everybody, but i love it.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

pollobarca

Wayne,
looks like the chinese got round to copying the Hirano or ,perhaps, the Artist & Artisan case.
If you ask Hirano ( through Dirk ) I feel sure they will find a way to fit the hand grip or enlarge the case to accomodate it. Hirano make cases for any camera on instruction. You could attach the grip to the case but perhaps the grip would lose rigidity.
Then again with the case you would have benefits that the hand grip alone
doesnt give.
I have found security (hanging over sheer drops etc), surer grip, easier to use hanging from my neck, street shooting ( I dont do much though) and not least the camera body protected against scrapes and body sweat on the beach this summer. Looks good too!
Peraps if you know a leather worker they could knock one out for you , enlarging the base of the case round the grip to accomodate it. The case attaches in the classic way using the tripod bush with one of those screws that have a tripod bush in the top. The Ricoh case is made this way to accomodate the handgrip on the GX100.
All the best

smokysun

thanks, paul. i really like the idea of a protective case and will look into it. i tend to fall in and out of love with cameras, so i am wary of investing too much, though i have two of the cameras already! (and i returned a third to keh cause of the dust.)

hans,
more thoughts. maybe turn off the automatic shut-off, so the lens doesn't keep retracting and extending.
always turn off the camera when opening the battery compartment. i know they say to do so when changing lenses on a dslr cause the electrical charge attracts dust to the sensor.
maybe using the case would really help. and since you already have one.
check out the sigma forum at www.dpreview.com as they've lots of useful information.
and lastly, one of these might help for severe conditions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-LX3-C...in_0?hash=item27ab606830&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

they're inexpensive, if a bit of a bother.

i maintain with others dp1/2 definitely worth the effort.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. well, i just did it. ordered one of the chinese. figure i can have it modified by someone here or myself. paul, you convinced me. i'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited: