The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Street Architecture

Will

Wondering around London I'm always fascinated by the views you get looking up from the old narrow streets. I love the details of the old buildings against the sky. Sort of architectural street photography.

GRD2 ISO 200 in camera jpgs adj in CS2

sizifo

I know exactly what you mean. Also have a whole unsorted series of the kind. Will try and post some later.

Will

Thanks Paul
They were taken in Covent Garden where there are a lot of converted warehouses that used to store banana's, pineapples, citrus fruits etc, so it looks a lot like Southwark with it's warehouses.

Lili

Lovely monochromes, Will. Like the view down that narrow and dark street!
But then, I am a sucker for older buildings :)

Will

Thanks Lili, I love that there are still areas of London not yet ruined by 'improvement'!

pollobarca

Most old tall warehouses , same in Amsterdam , were built that way to get more
space for less land. In Venice there is the Ghetto were the buildings are tall. It was to fit more people in though as the Jews all had to be in the ghetto by sundown.

Sometimes you cant "walk" the street either

the word ghetto means Iron Slag, the area was originally called campo ghetto, area used for cooling off the slag from the iron foundries (13th/14th century)

D

ddk

Most old tall warehouses , same in Amsterdam , were built that way to get more
space for less land. In Venice there is the Ghetto were the buildings are tall. It was to fit more people in though as the Jews all had to be in the ghetto by sundown.
Sometimes you cant "walk" the street either
the word ghetto means Iron Slag, the area was originally called campo ghetto, area used for cooling off the slag from the iron foundries (13th/14th century)
Not fair, no street views can compete with Venice...

Will

I like the washing line image, you wouldn't get that in England!

Sizifo those drainpipes remind me of the Lloyds building, I wonder if he got the idea from places like this?

pollobarca

Thanks Will, I think you would have that sort of washing line some years back in the north of england.
Theres a scene in the Michael Caine Film "Get Carter" involving washing lines, If I remember rightly.

Not only Venice, Verona is pretty good too

or the gates

the Arena

back to the town hall

Last edited:

pollobarca

The turkish bank and the shot from , I presume the City, are very good. These mirrored buildings reflecting are always interesting. They remind me of the "hall of Mirrors " you'd find at the fun fair! I am always lost ,when looking at them , thinking of the infinite views they offer.
One from the street in Seregno. Currently everywhere you look on the skyline theres a crane.GX100:

I thought of cropping this but honestly I like it as it is with the little bit of roof on the right distracting .

all the best

paul

otumay

I'm glad you didn't crop that shot. I prefer a little untidiness to sterility.
Yes, both shots are from Halaskargazi Street, an artery where many business headquarters are situated.
Best,
Osman

Lili

Awesome shots, all of you

I do hope bridges qualify as architecture
And here is something from the older parts of Dallas

F200EXR

D

D upton-Hackett.

wow!! Lili the bridge shot so sharp and smashing tones.