The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX-3 FW upgrade: will remember zoom and focus!!

[Just posted in the LUF; can´t help myself from posting here, too...]

Just read this in DPReview about the Version 2.0 firmware update for the LX-3:

"...The lens position of zooming and manual focusing is memorized and will resume at this position.... "

Now, this is without doubt the single most important improvement I (and obviously many others) could wish for in the D-Lux 4.

C´mon, Leica!!!! We want it, and we want it NOW!!!!!

K

kiloran

Well, that's me sold for the LX3, as I can now use an optical finder and it will remember hyperfocal in MF :)
Fantastic news given that the GF1 is (a) twice the price and (b) about as available as hen's teeth in the UK :)

iiiNelson

Good news for the LX3 owners but I think if given the choice between the this and a stepped zoom - I'd take a stepped zoom (24, 28, 35, 40, 50, and 60) over this any day.

P

PeterLeyssens

Good news for the LX3 owners but I think if given the choice between the this and a stepped zoom - I'd take a stepped zoom (24, 28, 35, 40, 50, and 60) over this any day.
Sure, if that choice would be there. We can hope Panasonic brings out a v2.1 with a couple of improvements, then a v3 with step zoom and several other niceties. In the meantime, though, there's only the Canon S90 and the Ricoh GX200 for step zoom and both of them have other compromises that I find more limiting than the LX3's.

Peter.

iiiNelson

Sure, if that choice would be there. We can hope Panasonic brings out a v2.1 with a couple of improvements, then a v3 with step zoom and several other niceties. In the meantime, though, there's only the Canon S90 and the Ricoh GX200 for step zoom and both of them have other compromises that I find more limiting than the LX3's.

Peter.
I agree and that's why I have the D-Lux 4 (the LX3 was always sold out when I was ready to buy.)

fordfanjpn

For me, the High Dynamic setting and the wider auto bracket range look interesting. It seems to be quite a nice upgrade. Looking forward to trying it out. Of course this would have to happen on the day I leave my LX3 home because of the crappy weather. :(

Bill

M

meilicke

Do third party batteries still work? I do not see anything about it on the Panasonic site.

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi,

Do third party batteries still work? I do not see anything about it on the Panasonic site.
It was confirmed on the dpreview forum by several users that they still work. No worries. Somebody claimed the LX3 is not one of the cameras that can check for genuine Panasonic batteries, but I don't know if that's true.

Peter.

M

meilicke

Hi,

It was confirmed on the dpreview forum by several users that they still work. No worries. Somebody claimed the LX3 is not one of the cameras that can check for genuine Panasonic batteries, but I don't know if that's true.

Peter.
Thanks Peter. I think the battery design is old/dumb, as it can be used in other cameras - my old Ricoh GX100. So it makes sense if they cannot detect what battery is in place.

-Scott

Tim

hmm, Panasonic have posted this additional notice.

----------------------------------------------------------
The download for the firmware update program to Ver.2.0 has been temporarily suspended, in order to make sure the reliability of the firmware, more specifically in case of the use of some newly added functions on Custom shooting mode. The download is expected to be available back again around the 20th Oct.

< For the users who have already updated LX3 to Ver.2.0 >
The camera which has been already updated to Ver.2.0, can be used without any problem after the reset of the camera by selecting the [RESET] in Setup menu.
Please note that all settings except the clock setting will be reset to the initial settings. To keep the current settings, please make sure to write down the settings on a note in advance to reset the settings.

----------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if the next version will have the Panasonic battery only in it?

P

PeterLeyssens

Is there any other alternative place to download the firmware?
Hi Rawfa,

I have it on my hard drive, but I'm waiting for 2.1. If you really urgently need 2.0, send me a message with your mail address and I'll mail it to you.

Peter.

Rawfa

Much appreciated, Peter, but I've found a source on the internet (a link on flikr). I've downloaded the file but it's an EXE. Can you confirm this is right? Did you install it on your LX3?

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi Rawfa,

I haven't installed it: it's less than a week until 2.1 and I can wait until then.

An EXE sounds right if it's for PC: it will self-extract to a .BIN file (IIRC) which you put on an SD card. When that's in the camera and you switch it on, the update should start.

I read somewhere that your battery should be *really* fresh, so make sure you recharge it before you update, even if the camera says it's still full strength.

Good luck !

Peter.

PS: why the hurry if 2.1 is around the corner ? ;)

Rawfa

Thanks, Peter. I actually had no idea 2.1 would be release so soon. I'm gonna wait for it then.