The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 5D

Will

Not a direct comparison since they are different fov and I've done pp on both of them but I find it interesting anyway. The DP1 colours are closer to the real thing. I like each in their own way though.

DP1

5D

otumay

Will, thank you for posting that interesting comparison. I see what you mean. Although I do not own a 5D, I always find myself comparing the output of DP1 to that of the other cameras I have. Right now I'm working on a B/W jpeg comparison between DP1 and Ricoh GRDII. It thrills me to dream what would happen if Sigma had managed to develop the Foveon sensor to accommodate higher resolution and/or sensor sizes.
Osman

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Will,
It's nit easy to do as you did. The DP1 in my opinion
is the Best digital camera out there. There exist in it's images a quality that should serve as a benchmark to lead the way.
I anxiously await an updated version.

The 5d as good as it is, is only as good as the "L" glass for it.
I have some but it ain't nuttin to write home about.
Don

smokysun

for me, both cameras require some special handling. the dp1 in the post-processing. it gives you amazing opportunities.

the 5d, on the other hand, needs physical modification. in my camera madness i bought two, one with a shaved mirror so i can use the half dozen leica r lenses that impoverished me the winter before last. unfortunately, even with confirmation adapters i don't seem really good at manual focusing. the results, though, of alternate lenses changes the 5d into a different beast.

the same with the modified ir 5d. there probably isn't a better camera for it. finally got out and shot some with it last nite. takes some learning to know how much ir light present and how much isn't. however, in nature you can do some very ghostly things. i'll post a pic or two later.

i did spend the afternoon shooting with the dp1 around the tower, to see what i could find. here's one from the garbage!

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

Lili

Will more and more I am tempted by the Sigma, the images have luminous quality that is hard to describe and still harder to match!
Perhaps it is time get my Digital Super Ikonta!

smokysun

here are some shots with the 5d ir last eve. we've been working late cause of the extreme fire danger (hasn't snowed or rained yet, maybe this weekend). thus these pictures taken practically in the dark. 3200 iso, -1.3ev, 17-40 4.0L lens. minimal pp and no noise reduction (selective nr would improve them). this is the high range ir, b&w only. the reason for doing it this way is the glow you can get, not possible with lesser modifications.

wayne
www.pbase.com

ps. ir waves aren't everywhere. flourescent light seems to have very few. and you can see how even faint dying sunlight carried more than the darkened.

Last edited:

Tim

Will,

thanks for posting, I much prefer the DP1 image. The lens on the DP1 is super IMHO, I do wonder sometimes if fixed lens, fixed focal length cameras are easier to design/build and hence perform better - no lens mount/alignment to contend with - how many interchangeable lens cameras suffer lens centering issues?

Yes that Foveon has some magic. Someone suggested the Foveon images are good because of the lack of AA filter - whatever it is it works. The DP1 image just has that Sigma 'pop' to it.