The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An Abstract experiment

D

dickinsonjon

I've been learning the tools a little, using GIMP to adjust the curves on B&W images to get a balanced look on abstract compositions. Here's an example - taken with the venerable Finepix Z1 - I'd appreciate some Small Sensor folks feedback if that's OK?

Cheers
JD

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm not sure abstract is the right word either. It reminds me a bit of the M.C. Escher drawings, teetering between viewpoints. As in, am I looking down or looking up?

ecliffordsmith

Hi Jon,

Nicely treated image here. I like the composition and as I follow the pipe I start to wonder whether I am looking up or down.

D

dickinsonjon

Thanks for the feedback folks. Mitch, you're right of course, it's not abstract, I used the word ill-advisedly. There's another word I should have used, but can't quite put my finger on.....

Cheers
JD

DavidE

There's another word I should have used, but can't quite put my finger on.....
Maybe the word would be minimal? Though the content is recognizable, the composition and tonal values are reduced to the bare essentials. That's why I like it.

D

dickinsonjon

Minimal - yes, pretty much sums up the composition, I'll use that word in future!

Cheers
JD

helenhill

How bout ' INDUSTRIAL GRUNGE'
and Yes, Lovely Tones and Patina
Cheers !....... Helen :)

Last edited:
D

dickinsonjon

Yup, art will do I think. I think I used the term abstract initially as the shot was taken in a staircase which I walk up and down two or three times every working day, yet it is not within that context to the casual observer. That's the thing I like about small cameras, sometimes an opportunity presents itself when I am in surroundings I see every day, yet with the right attitude, there is always something new. I would never be carrying an SLR in many of these situations, so it's shot or no shot. And to be honest, the mainstream enthusiast DSLR shooter ethic appears to be about going to a pre-determined place to capture a technically perfect image of something that may well have been short in a similar fashion countless times before. The small camera lends itself to the capture of unique moments in time, and hence the moods and feelings that they can conjure in the mind's eye of the viewer.

Did I just 'go off on one' there? :)

Cheers
JD