The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the best compromise between portability and IQ?

Paratom

Which camera would be the smallest solution which offers:
-Very good IQ at lower ISO, good dynamic range would be nice as well
-fast and responsive
-some manual control (I mean at least to be able to control f-stop)
-would be nice to be able to shoot raw, but not a must
-good video (hd or full hd)

Do I have to go to micro 4/3 to get it?
Do you feel you can get the same Image quality with small sensor cameras? (I am talking about low ISO)
If so-which small sensor camera would deliever the best IQ in your opinion?
(I feel I do not get such IQ with my GRD and with the GX100)

sonomichele

It all depends on what you define as good enough IQ, however you seemed to have answered your own question, if the GRD and GX100 are not good enough, then it's likely that no small sensor cam will be. Even the best ones are similar to, or only marginally better than, your Ricohs. So you probably do need to go to 4/3 or one of the Sigma's to see a noticeable improvement. Unless of course you can afford one of the new Leicas.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Look at the Oly Pen. It's a great camera. The IQ is wonderful.
I am very happy, at last with mine. The other choice would be the DP cameras although not as fast, the IQ is different in a very unique delicious way.
I love the interface of the Ricoh's but the IQ turned me off in a bad way.

Enjoy your quest....I have a page on my site with Pen images from the street.
Shooter

D

ddk

As far as I know HD video isn't available in any of the compacts besides m4/3 cameras. I have a GH1 and am very happy with the video quality, I guess the GF1 would be the same. As far as still image IQ is concerned, you're not clear about your dislike of the Ricohs, so I can't really comment besides telling you that I don't see a big difference between the Panasonic and my GRD 3 (I wasn't very happy with GRD2), as a matter of fact I much prefer Ricoh's lens over and interface to the GH1's and Panasonic lenses, also GRD3 jpgs are excellent, GH1's aren't useable for me. If you're looking for better DR, colors and tones but are willing to forego the hd video then you should look at the Fuji P&S line.

Rawfa

If you need good HD video the best camera out there is the GH1. I've spent 8 years working with video and I'm telling you it's the closest it comes to an actuall video camera. I assume the GF1 will over a similar quality. I've done one or two tests with the E-P1 and even though the video quality is acceptable for trips I wouldn't use it to shoot video professionaly. It misses manual controls that are much necessary to obtain good video.

D

ddk

If you need good HD video the best camera out there is the GH1. I've spent 8 years working with video and I'm telling you it's the closest it comes to an actuall video camera. I assume the GF1 will over a similar quality. I've done one or two tests with the E-P1 and even though the video quality is acceptable for trips I wouldn't use it to shoot video professionaly. It misses manual controls that are much necessary to obtain good video.
Raf is right, without manual controls the video quality suffers if left to the camera, this is true with the GH1 as well.

Lisa

The best IQ from a small-sensor pocket-sized camera is going to be from the Fujifilm "F" line (F70 EXR or F200 EXR), but you'll have to give up raw format with those, and while they do video, I don't think they do HD. (Fujifilm does some complicated things with sensors that other sensor manufacturers don't, which is what gives them the IQ edge.) They do have sufficient manual controls for you. For any better, I think you'll have to go to a larger-sensor camera like micro 4/3.

Lisa

Last edited:

Lili

I have to agree with Lisa's suggestions the latest EXR series Fuji's are very very good indeed. But they do not have a full range of F Stops, RAW or HD video. The earlier F series did have the f stops but lacked the rest.
Still, NO compact is gonna have better DR; at 10+ stops they even beat some DSLR's and their hi ISO's beat everything else on the compact market. There is some noise, a bit more than the legendary F31, but they do not smear low contrast detail like so many others. I find them to have the best compromise of detail and noise in the small sensor world.
If you cannot live without the video and RAW the m4/3 would be likely your only bet for now, at least until the rumored APS EVIL cams come out form Samsung and Canikon...
Don, I am glad to hear you've come to terms with the Ep1, the kit with the 17 and OVF have been calling my name for a bit now, hoping for a digital Hexar AF....

Paratom

Thank you for all those helpfull answers.
I was close to jump on the gf1 but than it is not really that compact.
My wife uses the gh1 with zoom-maybe we should just add a 20mm lens and then see how that works until something appears on the market which fulfills most of my wishes.
Besides that I will have a look at the Fuji cameras, maybe they will inlcude a better video mode in their next models.

Paratom

As far as I know HD video isn't available in any of the compacts besides m4/3 cameras. I have a GH1 and am very happy with the video quality, I guess the GF1 would be the same. As far as still image IQ is concerned, you're not clear about your dislike of the Ricohs, so I can't really comment besides telling you that I don't see a big difference between the Panasonic and my GRD 3 (I wasn't very happy with GRD2), as a matter of fact I much prefer Ricoh's lens over and interface to the GH1's and Panasonic lenses, also GRD3 jpgs are excellent, GH1's aren't useable for me. If you're looking for better DR, colors and tones but are willing to forego the hd video then you should look at the Fuji P&S line.
David, what did you dislike with the grd2 what would be better with the grd3?
(I own the grd but dont use it much any more - I find the images noisy, the dynamic range critical and colors to somewhat show a reddish cast)
The lens and also the user interface I do like.