The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GR-DIII users your impressions?

cam

yes, he got me started on the original way back when and i never regretted it!

i moved up to the II when my first version broke and, whilst i used it constantly, it never felt quite the same to me... (possibly because i had no upgrade lust at the time?)

the GRDIII seems to be the one i always wanted and i have been trying to control myself before i run out and buy it. i want it, mind you, and i still think Ricoh does these little cams better than anybody else. i forgot how much i loved them until i pulled them out to bring them up for Wouter to play with. the GRDs are just genius!

i love my rangefinders. mind you, but for wide angle, i really prefer to have a small camera i can manipulate easi;y. not to mention, it's a PITA when i have to shove my M in my bag when i go grocery shopping.,, i want a teeny pocket camera again.

just trying to hold off until the X1 or the rumoured new Ricohs are announced before i decide (i can't afford both, like you, as i'm still saving for the 9). micro 4/3rds doesn't do it for me, but APC-S may -- as i'd really like decent high ISO. what i haven't decided yet is whether that completely defeats the purpose of having a tiny pocket cam... which brings me back to the GRDIII.

sigh. following and lusting...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Cam,

If you get Reid Reviews Sean has his review of the GR-DIII up and it will increase your Lusting. Found the lens (without specific resolution tests) seems to be almost at it's sharpest wide open, very Leica like.

W

wbrandsma

And I will give her a look tomorrow night at some of the 800 photographs I took with the GRD3 in September. I really miss that camera. Even David Burnett likes it very much.

cam

John -- just got home (internet finally!) and off to read... i must admit i've come to have a newfound love again for the original, so the III has got some pretty big shoes to fill.... curious as to what you think of the shutter lag?

oops! we kind of forgot that, didn't we, Wouter. so much to do, so little time....

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
John -- just got home (internet finally!) and off to read... i must admit i've come to have a newfound love again for the original, so the III has got some pretty big shoes to fill.... curious as to what you think of the shutter lag?

oops! we kind of forgot that, didn't we, Wouter. so much to do, so little time....
I'm not seeing much shutter lag and it is much faster clearing the Buffer than the II. I'll pay more attention to that tonight and report back...

W

wbrandsma

I am certainly impressed by the B&W jpegs from the GRDI, but I must say that the photographs from the GRDIII are just great. The RAW photographs are stunning.

I hope you enjoy your GRDIII, John.

Tim

IMO the biggest jump from the GRD II to the GRD III is the lens, the extra aperture is welcome but I think the sharpness and lens IQ is quite a step up. The GRD III lens seems very good wide open I think.

Last edited:

Tony C.

I am not as experienced or sophisticated as many users of the forum, but I am absolutely amazed at the brilliance of design employed by Ricoh on the GRD-III. I never owned the previous version, so I can only compare it to other digital cameras that I have owned (including Canon and Nikon DSLRs, an M-8, and Olympus P&S). But it stands head and shoulders above anything else that I have tried in many important respects. Ergonomics, user interface, battery life, LCD quality and build quality are all outstanding.

I actually replaced my M-8 with this camera, mainly because I wanted to use a high-quality camera that I could take anywhere without feeling at all burdened. And while it is limiting to have to use a fixed wide-angle lens, I can't think of a single criticism beyond that.

I do hope that it proves to be a big success, as I would love to see what Ricoh might develop down the road with plenty of cash for further R&D.

cam

Kit -- i think it had to do with the size/speed of the new lens on the GRDIII...

it looks like (fingers crossed) we should have an announcement from them next week on the new camera: compact, larger sensor, and interchangeable lenses -- the 40mm is likely to be there.

N

nei1

is it possible that the sensor might be smaller than asp-c?that might keep the depth of field,portability and tradition of the ricoh"s.can they really cvompete with olympus and panasonic?

cam

everything is all just rumours for now, Neil.

the way i figure it, this new camera is going to be the next best thing to sliced bread or a total dog... i've no clue which.

N

nei1

everything is all just rumours for now, Neil.

the way i figure it, this new camera is going to be the next best thing to sliced bread or a total dog... i've no clue which.
I too hope its good;I feel increasingly embarrassed at having anything to do with leica and would love to have an excuse to sell the lot.The big things for me are the highlight range and focussing,.......lets wait and see!:)