The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C-8080

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Here are a few photos from the C-8080 shot at 320 ISO today as an experiment. I am undecided about the quality of the noise. Processed in C1 4 using JFI profiles for most. I haven't used this camera much lately.

ShiroKuro

well your experiment yielded some nice results ..... the noise at 320 looks fine to my eyes......
I have this same camera .... my first digital camera .... Very pleased with the results I managed to get .......

Lili

Very lovely monochrome work.
The first one especially is awesome timing and composition.
The second too, love the fountain and the near silhouetted figures.

Terry

Charles,
I looooove the fountain in B&W and empty for the winter. I have lots of summer pictures right there with way more people, night shots, etc. and I would trade many of mine for that one.

D

David Paul Carr

The C8080 is a really nice camera (apart from the hopelessly slow raw write times). I love the EVF with the highlight clipping warning (never had one over-exposed JPEG when I had mine) and the pull-out screen.
It's a real pity Olympus didn't continue the line... maybe because it was too well built (and too much like a DSLR in size and ambitions).

rich s

I agree - the C8080 is a superb camera. In terms of IQ at low ISO it will beat pretty much anything. I've never bothered with RAW - too slow and the JPG's are brilliant provided the exposure is nailed. Many said it wasn't a pocketable cam but it depends on the size of your pockets!

ecliffordsmith

Charles,

Very nice conversions. I admire your patience with the RAW write times with this camera but as you have demonstrated here it has quite a lens on it.

Another vote for the JPI profiles it seems.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks to all for looking and your comments.

- ShiroKuro: The C-8080 was also my first digital camera and I was also pleased with the results. IQ is pretty decent and the handling is ok but the menu is too convoluted. Unless I use it every day it is difficult to remember where anything is located.

- Terry: I have many many shots of the fountain as well but none at night! Thanks for the reminder. I have also shot the carousel a few times and would trade every one of them for that one of yours that you posted. I find both areas rich for photographing but also difficult to get a good image. At the fountain, the backgrounds can be cluttered and distracting. It's nice when there are many people and full of life but I find there is always something or somebody in the frame that you wish just wasn't there. I should start a Bethesda Fountain thread.

And yes, the write time for RAW is . . . s l o w . . . about 15 seconds. I need to be patient and accept that I am going to miss some opportunities. The read time is slow as well, about 10 seconds for playback. High quality JPEG write time is about 4 seconds.

I wish the lens had a zoom ring and a focus ring and that these were not electronic.

Again, thanks to all for taking the time to look and to comment.