The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Street Gallery

S

SimonL

I'm getting to the point where I know I have a certain style and perspective...... but I'm not completely sure what it is !

Below is a link to my website with its "Street" Gallery. There's not a huge number in there but they are representative of what I am happy with.

Can anyone comment on where I am ?

Criticism both pos and neg is welcome since both count as constructive in my view.

My thanks to anyone taking the time to comment.

http://www.simonluptonphotography.co.uk/

Lili

Simon, very good street work. I see you use very tight framing and sometimes, I think, a long lens but I see minimal awareness of your presence on the part of your subjects.
Well done!

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Simon,
Where I think you are is....
Candid Portraits. You have a good sense of timing and framing. Remember that "Street" photography is just a Genre' that could/should be applied to other areas of your work.

You are a good "Observer" and seem to work "without intrusion."

Now I have a statement/question for you. This may heat up the conversation but I will not entertain it to any length.

As an observer and working "without intrusion", why do you feel the need to title the images? The titles intrudes on the viewers' perception of the image.
I found it very difficult to reach any of my own conclusions about your images because I was jaded going into the image by your title.

So, where i think your at is....You belong to what your doing....there are some good moments observed/captured and there are a few Transitional images to pay attention to for the work to expand it's borders.

Keep working, trust your instinct and by all means, loose the titles....just a date and or location, something like that will suffice....
Shooter

kevinparis

An interesting observation street.

I tend also to title my picture - well the ones i post on flickr anyway - i see it there as part of the 'tagging' process as well as giving me a useful handle to reference the picture later. I don't labour long and hard on the title, and try not to make it just a description of whats in the picture. Often its a snippet of a song or a phrase that seems to me to fit.

I hadn't thought of it actually working against the photo itself.

As for Simons photos - if he decides to keep the titles he should definately remove the word 'mono' as that is completely redundant :)

K

kevinparis

oh and by the way simon - some great pictures in there - some look to me to be a bit over sharpened - eyes down, christmas market goodies are just a couple of examples

cheers

K

smokysun

funny, i didn't even realize they had titles, them cut off by the bottom of my screen. pictures can have useful titles. however in this case i think a series title works better. what i see is very individual people with the eccentricities each of us has - and i would call the pics 'non-judgemental.' (i once read that eccentrics were accepted and not judged in britain) so you might called yourself the eccentric photographer or this series the eccentricities. just a thought. i like the point of view. the world is a strange if familiar place for all of us.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. check out this book, wonderful in all respects, for its titling. bravo sought to photograph states of being. and his titles add a wider dimension.

http://www.amazon.com/Manuel-Alvare...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255896902&sr=8-1

Last edited: