The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A portrait

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A bit quiet here lately, so I thought I'd add a photo. One of my favourite portraits, taken with the rusty old E-1 and the cheap 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6, at 14mm wide open.

helenhill

Beautiful........
I was actually thinking of picking up an E1 /quite cheap from a friend $250.00
would my 40mm konica F1.8 lens work for this ? Cheers! helen

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Unfortunately, there's no adapter available for Konica lenses. Still, there are people using them on 4/3 cameras after modifying the lens. According to some, it's very, very easy. I wouldn't know, since I have six thumbs on each hand (and the left arm in a sling at the moment) :)

Here's the instructions from one of the handymen:

http://blog.lewander.com/

helenhill

Unfortunately, there's no adapter available for Konica lenses. Still, there are people using them on 4/3 cameras after modifying the lens. According to some, it's very, very easy. I wouldn't know, since I have six thumbs on each hand (and the left arm in a sling at the moment) :)

Here's the instructions from one of the handymen:

http://blog.lewander.com/
Thank You for the tip....will have to have someone do it for me ....I'm not that handy
Do hope a speedy recovery for your left arm
All the Best :) helen

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank You for the tip....will have to have someone do it for me ....I'm not that handy
Do hope a speedy recovery for your left arm
All the Best :) helen
Not very speedy I'm afraid. Broken collar-bone = 6 weeks. Damaged the viewfinder of my E-1 as well :( Hopefully, that's repairable too.

Thanks all for the kind words. Much appreciated. The photo is one of a series from a slum in Manila, an unforgettable evening with lots of smiles (and lots of water too). I hope to go back there with some prints later this year.

Brian Mosley

Hi Helen,

if it's in good condition, I would recommend you grab that E-1... I'm (sadly) about to sell mine to a friend, got to make space for an E-420!

I've just started to 'upgrade' my Hexanon conversions from the cardboard spacer design to this cut-pcb method devised by my friend Pete Snaar (scroll half way down this page) :
http://www.snaar.co.uk/lenses/index.html

It's about the best method I've seen, and leaves your lenses nice and strong.

My recommendation for a legacy lens would be the Hexanon 57mm f1.4 (or even better, the rubber MF ring version of the 57mm f1.2 which is the best portrait lens ever imho)... the 40mm pancake is a very nice, compact and sharp f1.8 lens though.

p.s. Jorgen, that's a great B&W portrait.

Kind Regards

Brian

helenhill

Hey Brian
Thank You for the link / SUPERB
and your insights / DIVINE
Decisions here.........
So should I be Tempted by the 420
or be Content with the E1 ?
All the Best, ;) Helen

Brian Mosley

Helen, if you can afford the difference, the E-420 will be the better camera.

Here's a shot with the E-3 + 57mm f1.2 @f2.8 from this afternoon of my youngest daughter... the E-420 has the same sensor as the E-3.

Kind Regards (and thank you Jorgen, for inspiring us with your portrait)

Brian

helenhill

Helen, if you can afford the difference, the E-420 will be the better camera.
Here's a shot with the E-3 + 57mm f1.2 @f2.8 from this afternoon of my youngest daughter... the E-420 has the same sensor as the E-3.
Kind Regards (and thank you Jorgen, for inspiring us with your portrait)Brian
Your Daughter is GORGEOUS / very sweet Lovely Shot ....
the colors are beautiful
Not so 'Disney Pop' like I see in some cameras today. Nikon's yellow & greens are over the top for me
Thank You ! helen (I'll hold out for the upcoming 420 /YEAHHHHH!!!)

Brian Mosley

Thank you Helen, not long to wait for the E-420... we'll be having a thorough look at it next weekend, so I'll hopefully be able to share much more info about it then.

Kind Regards

Brian

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
p.s. Jorgen, that's a great B&W portrait.
Thanks Brian.

The E-420 looks good, and I might even put the E-3 on hold for a few more months to try out the 420 first. When that is done, I guess the E-520 will be available as well, and..... will I ever get an E-3?

In April, I'll most probably buy the Voigtländer 58/1.4 in F-mount for my Fuji. I'll obviously try it out on the Olympus as well. Has anybody else tried that combo?