The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GRD II Review

J

JohnN

Having owned Ricoh’s new GRD II for just over a month and shot ~1000 images with it, I decided to write my own hands on review of this little gem of a compact camera.

I initially thought I would publish a few pages as HTML, however it quickly grew to over 20 pages, so I have since packaged it as a PDF file and made it available as a download - Ricoh GRD II Review

Fundamentally, it's my take on the camera, so some may agree or disagree with my findings, but all in all, I think it's great photographic tool!

J

JohnN

Thanks to all for your positive feedback. Over 650 people have downloaded the review and I'm overwhelmed with the response. (and so is my server)

Anyhow, I've added a couple of new sections to the review, namely colour rendering and dynamic range associated with outputs from both SilkyPix and Lighroom.

If you haven't read the latest version you might be surprised to find what differences these raw converters make.

Terry

John,
Missed this when you first posted. While not in the market I just downloaded the file to read on a long flight later today. Should be interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

J

JohnN

I've started to read it, and I must say I like your writing style John - are you an author?

Kind Regards

Brian
Thanks Brian,

I'm a Telemetry Programme Manager during the week with a budding small photography business at all other times. Over the years I've written business cases, OEM manuals for industrial software/hardware solutions and more recently a photography eBook.

One day I'll make the transition to Photography full-time, but I'm under no illusions, its a slow process.

Brian Mosley

Your New York gallery is very impressive... especially the last image "Broadway Building" - incredible sharp and deep dof - this is where the GRD-II seems to excel!

Good luck with your 'escape' plans ;) I enjoyed my career in Telemetry systems design.

Kind Regards

Brian

S

stu

John,

Nice review. I would be interested in your opinion of the GT-1. Have you used it yet?

J

JohnN

John,

Nice review. I would be interested in your opinion of the GT-1. Have you used it yet?
Not had one to test yet, although it's next on the list (more natural FOV). I'm also keen to see what impact it has on resolve.

E

ekku

i bought my GRDII yesterday. I use Ds1MkII for serious
things where I don´t have to carry the bag all day. I bought the M8 to make life easier when travelling. It takes some learning to get the focus and FOV right, but I
like it. But even M8 is a bit disturbing and not really always there in the pocket. After surfing on related forums
I learned about the GRDII. After reading Sean´s and John´s reviews about it I just had to get it. Some hesitation between DS1 and GRDII though. But I wanted a pocket thing. After the first shots I was amazed about the superb IQ. Tack sharp and fine film like grain. Would be intersting to see a comparison to DS1.
The macro feature makes the camera so simple and inspiring to use in all situations. The big DOF with f 2,4
is a strong tool in low light.