The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any interest here in the Fuji F100fd?

Lili

The Fuji F100fd has my attention. Anyone else interested?

These are 100% crops of the 6MP output at ISO 400 with dynamic range set to 100% (left) and 400% (right):

I lkke the Fuji sensors a great deal, does the F100fd permit image control, such as sharpening like my S6000fd?

A

asabet

I lkke the Fuji sensors a great deal, does the F100fd permit image control, such as sharpening like my S6000fd?
Hi Lili, I don't think it has any such controls, nor does it have aperture/shutter speed controls or RAW mode :(. Still, for the individual who likes to focus on composition and isn't keen on postprocessing, I think it will be a serious contender. In addition to the noise and DR features mentioned above, Fuji tends to be at the top of the class in AF speed and shutter lag.

Lili

Hi Lili, I don't think it has any such controls, nor does it have aperture/shutter speed controls or RAW mode :(. Still, for the individual who likes to focus on composition and isn't keen on postprocessing, I think it will be a serious contender. In addition to the noise and DR features mentioned above, Fuji tends to be at the top of the class in AF speed and shutter lag.
I know this last from my erstwhile Finepix F31fd, a supremely competent little performer.

DavidE

I also like the Fuji sensors. The colors seem more expressive (even a bit surreal) compared with other brands of cameras. Maybe it goes back to the competition with Kodak when some photographers shot exclusively with Fujifilm because they preferred the rich, slightly oversaturated colors.

This was shot at ISO 250 with a Fujifilm E550, and the colors look good for an inexpensive point-and-shoot. There's little noise at ISO 250 because the E550 is only a 6.3 megapixel camera.

Last edited:

4season

Let's put it this way: The Fuji F50fd is what lead me to buy a Ricoh GX100 :D The Fuji applies too much mandatory luminance noise reduction for my tastes. With the GX, I shoot DNG and can decide for myself how I'm going to deal with noise. Mostly, I fuss only with the chroma noise and I think the photos look better that way.

A

asabet

Let's put it this way: The Fuji F50fd is what lead me to buy a Ricoh GX100 :D The Fuji applies too much mandatory luminance noise reduction for my tastes. With the GX, I shoot DNG and can decide for myself how I'm going to deal with noise. Mostly, I fuss only with the chroma noise and I think the photos look better that way.
Actually, I went from the F30 to the GX100 for the same reason. However, especially for those who tend to process with more luminance NR, the little Fujis have a lot to offer.

Lili

Understood, the F31fd had less NR than its sister F30, but there were too few image controls.
Plus no RAW.
The S6000fd has the F31fd sensor but far more control and useable RAW.
Write times are roughly equal to the GX100.

Lisa

I currently have a Fujifilm F30 (for the times I'm not carting around my DSLRs), and was thinking about upgrading to the F100, mostly for the increased dynamic range. The dynamic range was one of my few complaints about the F30, though the problem is one of nearly all small-sensor digicams. I was holding off on the buying decision until seeing a review to see if the increased dynamic range was real and useful, not just marketing hype, but your photos show that it's real. Thanks for posting them!

BTW, how did you get one??? I didn't think they were available, at least here in the States, for another month or so...

Lisa

4season

I'm off from work today due to a nasty head cold, I'm in a semi-daze, I'm getting bored silly, I'm not far from an Apple Store, and meanwhile, Adorama's web site lists "a few" things I could use: I wonder which is worse ;)

Since we've already had photos of aircraft and Japanese vending machines in this thread, I'll contribute one of a Japanese airport, also taken with an F30:

s.agar

I still have my F31 after buying the GRDII.
I think F31 has one of the best DR's in this class, and has the zoom lens, when I need it. GRDII is a very special camera with only specific use. Therefore, F31 is also with me most of the time.

The F100 pic posted above shows a nice DR in the 400% DR setting, but is short of what I get from S5Pro. I wonder if it's better than F31? I doubt it. If someone can test the 2 cameras and post the pics, that would be great.

F31 suffers only from the point of MP's, because I can't print anything bigger than 30X40cm. +some problems with color rendition.

Seyhun

A

asabet

I'm pretty confident that the F100fd with 400% DR engaged will have a lot less highlight clipping than the F30/F31 which were known for this problem. On the other hand, I seriously doubt that the true DR of the F100 will exceed that of the F30/31.

Terry

Amin,
Has Fuji done anything to their user interface? I can generally change around the camera I am using and feel right at home pretty quickly. However Fuji and my brain just don't get along and their menus and button placement make me want to pull my hair out. I'm not looking to buy the Fuji as my low light is well covered these days. More just curiosity.

A

asabet

Hi Terry,
I'm not sure. I haven't gotten hands on the latest Fujis, but I agree with you about the Fuji compact experience. I doubt very much has changed in this respect but hope to be surprised.