The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Remembrance Sunday

Will

My three children are in their schools Combined Cadets Force and were part of the remembrance Sunday ceremonies in the town today. I took my canon 5D and my DP1 with me. Got no good shots with the canon!

This year there were a few hardened serving soldiers shedding tears. I didn't feel right intruding on their grief but here are a few of the old warriors and the cadets.

DP1

D

D upton-Hackett.

Will,
Very nice capturing the moment with respect.

Derek.

pollobarca

Lovely set Will, love the Cadets starting to move,the old soldiers still look fierce on their
electric chairs! In Tooting there wasnt much parading on Remembrance Sunday so i dont remember seeing anything as grand. But people would stop for one minute on the 11th at 11:00 and wear their Poppies. I've been out of the UK for a long time, do things still stop ?

One time I was going to Cimadolmo near Treviso. It was near to 11 on the 11th November. I saw a Union Jack by the Piave river at Masarada ,which was a surprise. I went down and found a Memorial to the Welch Fusiliers and others who died on the Italian front 1917/1918 fighting the Austrians. So I was able to do my one minute of silence there.

all the best and thanks for showing such nice pictures.

paul

Will

Thanks paul and Don.

I can't speak for everywhere but whenever I'm in London or some other public place in England on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month almost everybody still steps out into the street or stops what they are doing. I happened to be in Covent Garden in London during a special anniversary silence a few years back and everything stopped for the 2 minutes. Everyone came out of the pubs and shops and hotels, the busses cars and taxis stopped and an almost physical hush descended. Slowly you could hear birds singing and the leaves rustling. It was terribly, almost unbearably, moving.

pollobarca

Will, thats what I remember about this. As a small kid I remember the cars stopping and people standing still. It was very important. Very strong emotions are still felt about all those dead in 14-18 and 39-45. As well as other battles/wars . Damn I forgot its 2 minutes not 1. Too long away from the UK.....