The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR, did you see this ???

Robert Campbell

If you Google 'Ricoh GXR' you'll get lots of results -- and Wouter has this video on his blog.

Which? is a UK consumer testing organisation -- I don't think this is fake.

kevinparis

think its an interesting idea... but kinda doomed - too proprietary - i cant imagine 3rd parties producing devices for this.... can't imagine Ricoh getting enough traction in the market to justify producing many additional modules

It is too expensive - plus I don't actually see the advantage it offers - what they seem to be offering is a module that is a GX200 and a module with a 1.5 crop CCD and fixed 50mm lens

why not just sell a GX200 and a model with the 1.5 crop sensor.

Just my thoughts

K

andrewteee

It's interesting and innovative, but I'm not sure it's practical. If each new lens (if they are made available) comes with its own sensor then count me out. My GRD3 is good enough.

The flexibility of the component concept is great, and would allow for growth and easier upgrades, but it's not componentized enough. The sensor and lens should be separate for this to really work.

But still, I will wait for more clarity on this new camera with great interest.

Terry

If you think about it

For a long zoom to stay small you need a small sensor
For a pancake lens you can keep it small with a fast lens

This allows you to optimize the sensor size with the intended use and still have one camera

Don't know about pricing...but it could be a very interesting concept for someone who really values space and can handle a smaller sensor for outdoor landscapes with lots of pixels and a long zoom but wants high quality fast lens with shallow DOF for their low light work.

I'm intrigued.

Diane B

Changing or upgrading sensors has been bandied about for a number of years. This looks like the first foray into that possibility--a bit of, it appears, thinking outside the box. I don't know how practical it is--and I don't expect I'm interested at this point, but I'll certainly follow it.

jonoslack

Having to buy a new sensor with each lens?
sounds like they're going to have to cheapskate on both the processor and the sensor to stop it being unreasonably expensive.

I was hoping for something exciting with pentax primes and an APS-C sensor. Sounds like just another gimmick to me.

erm . .. am I being grumpy? :ROTFL:

D

D upton-Hackett.

As much as i like Ricoh this is different and going way out on a limb i wish them the best if it's true.

On a personal note it's more to carry so not really compact and very expensive.
It makes one wonder what Sigma next compact will be, now that will be interesting!

Derek.

pollobarca

Well, I saw the idea of selling different sensors for different jobs a couple of years ago.
I was thinking more in terms of different image qualities. Not matching them to the lens
optical qualities. But this is really great! When you think about it the sensors must be pretty cheap anyway now. Not too clear on the different movie qualities, but I dont care much for video. Be Nice to see a shfting sensor to make a "shift lens".
About 1600 gbp for 2 lenses, body with flash. Pretty much matches the ep2.
I suppose the EVF will be another 200. Looks as solid as a brick. Not cheap but I always think what film used to cost and this is roughly 120 rolls of 35mm film developed and printed. A bargain by comparison sir!
Now to convince my good lady that the family needs a new camera....

Been thinking , the man in the video says "new bodies" so Architects bodies, police bodies (speed traps etc)
underwater bodies, lenses on cables or with wireless attachments. There's a lot of flexibility here.

Last edited:

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
think its an interesting idea... but kinda doomed - too proprietary - i cant imagine 3rd parties producing devices for this.... can't imagine Ricoh getting enough traction in the market to justify producing many additional modules

It is too expensive - plus I don't actually see the advantage it offers - what they seem to be offering is a module that is a GX200 and a module with a 1.5 crop CCD and fixed 50mm lens

why not just sell a GX200 and a model with the 1.5 crop sensor.

Just my thoughts

K
Having to buy a new sensor with each lens?
sounds like they're going to have to cheapskate on both the processor and the sensor to stop it being unreasonably expensive.

I was hoping for something exciting with pentax primes and an APS-C sensor. Sounds like just another gimmick to me.

erm . .. am I being grumpy? :ROTFL:
Not grumpy at all. Simply realistic. As Kevin said, too proprietary and too expensive. My previous high hopes have been dashed.

you are!

the other grump is my living room.

a pox on both of you! i love that a company is being daring :p
Then a pox on me too, I guess. :)

Will

Interesting that quite a few people will buy the DP1 and DP2 or have said they would buy a 40mm equivalent GRD to go with the 28mm version. For those people this idea is great.

Martin S

Interesting concept. Lets see if there is any improvement over existing systems before we draw any conclusions. I hope that the pricing for the lenses is not prohibitively expensive considering the sensor, and associated electronics built into each lens.

As usual, we should wait for some comprehensive tests.

Martin

W

wbrandsma

I am intrigued, but agree with Kevin that this is too much a closed system. I wouldn't be surprised if the zoom lens comes with the GRDIII CCD sensor, while the 50 macro lens comes with an APS-C sized CMOS sensor. And I had serious hopes for faster prime lenses. Maybe more to come later, but the success of this systems fully depends on Ricoh's commitment and selling numbers. Very tricky in my opinion when you consider that they sell most cameras in Japan and still are less available anywhere else.