The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR, did you see this ???

Will

Could it form a new standard perhaps, with other manufacturers joining in?
I would be over the moon to get a foveon sensor in one of the lenses!

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very kewl :thumbup:
It all depends on sensor size and price, and ultimately image quality. It might be a dead end, but a fun dead end. Kudos to Ricoh for their courage.

It's interesting to see that nobody else have come up with a competitor to m4/3 yet, until this. That might mean that m4/3 is a hard nut to crunch for Canikon et al., and that thinking "out of the box" is in fact the easiest way around the challenge.

cam

This is a rather intriguing camera, and if it's solidly built, it's rather interesting for travel, particularly if they come up with telephoto and wide option without too much delay.
we've been wondering what that rather long tube is on the table in the video... it looks like an extra-long version of the 40mm converter for the GRD/GRDII. perhaps a teleconverter for the 50mm?

(nothing like starting rumours :ROTFL: )

they will have to have a wide angle at some point -- Ricoh is known for their 28mm -- but i'm don't think they want to step on sales of the GRDIII at this point.

maybe after Christmas?

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Interesting that quite a few people will buy the DP1 and DP2 or have said they would buy a 40mm equivalent GRD to go with the 28mm version. For those people this idea is great.
But, from what we've seen so far, Ricoh doesn't appear to be offering this. Here's hoping because, dead-end system or not, I would buy a 40mm-e lens coupled with an APS-C sensor in an instant, even if the camera was somewhat larger than a GRD.

jonoslack

you are!

the other grump is my living room.

a pox on both of you!

(you know i'm saying this with all affection)

i love that a company is being daring :p
Well, I'll drink to that (hic). Perhaps there's more to it than meets the eye. . . . or perhaps there isn't :ROTFL:

cam

But, from what we've seen so far, Ricoh doesn't appear to be offering this. Here's hoping because, dead-end system or not, I would buy a 40mm-e lens coupled with an APS-C sensor in an instant, even if the camera was somewhat larger than a GRD.
i was hoping for the 40mm as well. i've grown kind of fond of it as i've glued the conversion lens to my GRD... i was really hoping Ricoh would stick with it.

retow

Interesting. And as sensor technology will continue to improve, in a few years there will be tons of obsolete Ricoh lenses around............:confused:

andrewteee

50mm does seem odd (for Ricoh) since the GRD converters were 21 and 40. The m4/3 pancakes are 35 and 40mm.

Do we know the aperture of the supposed 50mm?

kevinparis

The new ricoh may be clever and intriguing.. but I am at a loss to see where this fits in the market.

Its a solution looking for a problem

If i want a small camera with a zoom on a small sensor there are endless options available today including some from Ricoh

If I want a larger sensor and compact size then there are solutions from olympus, panasonic, sigma and even leica

Sigma and leica have gone the fixed lens route, while the micro 4/3 offers the interchangeable lens... and the ability to mine 50 years of lens manufacture to add a variety of focal lengths as well as enjoying compact modern zoom and moderate wide angle lenses.

This new ricoh once again proves that there is no shortcut at this point with current technology to the ideal of the compact digital camera that offers all of what was offered by old film cameras. The M9 is perhaps the only one that has solved this ... but at a considerable price.

we are not going to get 1.4 lenses... because the mass market doesn't need them... they have given us more ISO instead... I reckon most sub f2 lenses made in the past - with the possible exception of leica and zeiss were made for bragging rights and to make the SLR viewfinder brighter. The whole concept of bokeh was not something that i can't recall being actively discussed until a couple of years ago.

Much as i love for ricoh to succeed with this i don't see it happening. Its too expensive for the mass market and delivers too little for the enthusiast

just my thoughts... your mileage may vary

K

jonoslack

The new ricoh may be clever and intriguing.. but I am at a loss to see where this fits in the market.

Its a solution looking for a problem
:ROTFL:
and that's a ransom looking for a hostage!

On the other hand, I agree with you completely . . . why would you?

Joan

I have no idea if this will be a boom or bust for Ricoh, but it seems like a very interesting concept to me. I hope it turns out well!

kevinparis

will

again... where is the advantage?... one of the selling points seems to be the sealed/dust free aspect. I am pretty sure there will be other 1.5 crop sensor small body solutions in the near future

K

sizifo

Looks very cool. I think it's way too early to say much more than:

>Very kewl
>It all depends on sensor size and price, and ultimately image quality. It >might be a dead end, but a fun dead end. Kudos to Ricoh for their courage.

People will put aside all kinds of seemingly logical arguments that come up in threads like this one if the system does 1 or 2 things excellently, rather many things ok. And this is without doubt a very original idea that can give rise to all kinds of interesting possibilities - all based on the already prefect UI.

Seems like a computer design concept, possibly ahead of its time for digital cameras. But for the moment it will be the first camera on the market that allows one to interchange *sensors* of different dimensions.

Definitely very intrigued.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
...The whole concept of bokeh was not something that i can't recall being actively discussed until a couple of years ago...
Not according to the Wikipedia entry on bokeh:
The English spelling bokeh was popularized in 1997 in Photo Techniques magazine, when Mike Johnston, the editor at the time, commissioned three papers on the topic for the March/April 1997 issue; he altered the spelling to suggest the correct pronunciation to English speakers, saying "it is properly pronounced with bo as in bone and ke as in Kenneth, with equal stress on either syllable". Bokeh replaced the previous spelling boke that had been in use at least since 1996, when Merklinger had also suggested "or Bokeh if you prefer."
One of the articles that Mike Johnston commissioned (and published in 1997) is available online at Luminous Landscape: Understanding Boke by Harold M. Merklinger.

Mike Johnston's spelling ("bokeh") is a much better match to the Japanese pronunciation than "boke" (as in "Coke") but the first syllable is not pronounced "bo" as in "bone"; rather -- because the "bo" sound in Japanese is short and sharp -- it's pronounced like the "bo" in "box".