The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR, did you see this ???

Joan

Yep, Diane ... I can't honestly see paying that big a premium to revert back to a small sensor zoom, but OTOH, that darned 50 is fabulous! It sure will be fun to watch this as it grows up.

douglasf13

What would have been really cool is if the sensor and lens were each, independently, interchangable.

Swap sensors - high resolution vs fast fps, etc.

Swap lenses, independent of sensor.

At some point, I'd like to see that type of concept from someone other than RED, at a more consumer price point.
+1

Making the sensors and lenses independently swappable would make much more sense. So far, we have a zoom lens married to a P&S sized sensor, and a rather large 50mm attached to an APS-C sensor. Neither look all that appealing to me (i like the 50, but it seems to bulky.)

cam

i think they came out with that small sensor zoom to satisfy users who were waiting for the GX300 -- which is not likely to happen. the sensor is slightly bigger than the GX200, but... well, if zoom is your thing, i can see this not being that tempting.

still, i imagine they will have a zoom with a larger sensor available at a later date -- that's the beauty of this system.

my interest is in the 50mm (it looks to be most things i hoped the X1 would be).

however, say at a later date i am off to travel and would really like a zoom for vacation pics. i already have the body and VF for a lens i really love. all i need to buy is a slip-in zoom and voila! talk about space savings -- and, yes, eventually monetarily as well.

there have been times (again, it only seems to be holidays) where i actually did desire a zoom -- but not enough to go out and buy a new camera... a new cartridge, though? hmmm. i possibly would have...

Joan

For me, (with my wretched bad back and aversion to weight) a zoom is simply the most practical thing. I have a very small budget for photography, so I get the most bang for my buck with it. So, right now, all I have for my G1 is the 14-140 and the 20. Love the results from the 20, but couldn't live with only that. When my ship comes in (read: win the lotto) I will have the M9 and several choice lenses! LOL

Arjuna

I think that the hypothetical idea of a sensor module with a Leica M lens mount could well be a much better solution than the current m4/3 cameras, if the sensor has offset micro-lenses like the M8/9 sensors.

Will

Having read far to many posts on various forums and had time to ponder I'm beginning to think Ricoh have been very clever in marketing and PR terms if nothing else. They have basically launched a 50mm e prime large sensor compact onto the market (forget the 24-70, that is just a GX200 increment) and gained huge publicity for it. Without the interchangeable modular system everyone would have been very happy but thought it a little boring. The only really big mistake I think is not to have launched it solely as a kit with the 50mm e to start with. The body and add ons should have followed shortly after with the body being priced very low.
Then comes the really good bit. As we all know Ricoh is is the only camera manufacturer who really does listen to is customers and makes the improvements that they ask for on a regular incremental basis. It is their unique place in the market. They have just launched a system which allows them endless possibilities to rapidly respond to our wishes. Brilliant!

D

D upton-Hackett.

For me, I have a very small budget for photography, so I get the most bang for my buck with it.When my ship comes in (read: win the lotto) I will have the M9 and several choice lenses! LOL
I concur with Joan who has just described my contented forever camera/lens kit.

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi,

I had the problem that I dislike my DSLR for all reasons that make a DSLR a DSLR: bulky, noisy, hard to use autofocus and practically speaking, nearly only zooms available. So I got myself an LX3 and I'm loving it to bits.

What the GXR does, is get rid of several of my problems while keeping the same UI. I can have a camera that is nearly a GX200 and use it as a pocketable camera (slightly bigger than the LX3). Or, when doing serious portrait work, I can swap out the zoom for the 50mm equiv and do my thing, keeping the same user interface. And frankly, the samples of the 50mm look incredible. It's a shame it's not at least an f2.0, because the f2.5's DOF will be equivalent to a 50/f3.5 on a film camera, which means you'd better have the background rather far away. But it is very promising and who knows what other combos they'll come up with.

As for the Leica or other lens mount modules: Simon Joinston on DPReview already said that Ricoh has shown very little interest in that. I know the first rumours were that they might be interested, but Simon clearly said that's not what they heard. As for me, a mount module could be a nice toy, but not really what I need. I like the camera as it is and I'm looking forward to what comes next !

Peter.

Will

Looking at those I think I may be selling a couple of my Canon lenses in the very near future.

dhsimmonds

Jorgen,

These are absolutely stunning! Compare these with the Leica X1 at many more bucks and a fixed lens into the bargain! A skilled photographer too...would like to see some of his images taken with the smaller sensor/ 24-70 combo.

Thanks for posting.....my D-Lux-4 might not be around for much longer!

cam

there *is* Exif data if you click on more properties.

they are obviously JPEGs, straight out of the camera, no tweaking (versus the images put up on the Ricoh site). she's obviously adjusting to the new camera... (that said, many of her images do look over exposed...)

pollobarca

Last edited:

sizifo

One thing this demonstrates is the importance of marketing. If these were the first available images, the GRX would be getting a rough ride here. The first images from the X1 from dpreview, with blown highlights and one example of bad bokeh, caused the camera to get dissed to oblivion. I imagine the perception of the X1 would be quite different if leica published some images first, or if the first exposure was via sein reid or luminous landscape rather than dpreview.

I think you can make a judgment form these technically bad images, if you manage to concentrate no the properly exposed area, take in they are jpegs etc. (though this can be difficult).

Will

there *is* Exif data if you click on more properties.

they are obviously JPEGs, straight out of the camera, no tweaking (versus the images put up on the Ricoh site). she's obviously adjusting to the new camera... (that said, many of her images do look over exposed...)
That's interesting. The more properties option wasn't available to m earlier.