The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR, did you see this ???

cam

bbodine9 -- will do.

Ricoh doesn't have a proper profile and no program was reading them properly. when we told Ricoh this, they updated the firmware for this and then we couldn't read them at all! very frustrating as i saw a lot more details in the RAW files... both myself and my french colleague tried everything out there, sigh.

because of that, i had to shoot RAW and colour JPEGs the rest of the time and i must admit to being a bit harsh in my criticism of the files as i was only looking at JPEGs after shooting RAW for so long. i was also pixel peeping (something i normally don't do). very unfair on my part as the lens is quite gorgeous.

i also admit to trying to shoot my type of shots, rather than typical test photos, as i was trying to see what the camera would do on my terms. in that regard, i really pushed it to its limit and was pleasantly surprised throughout.

most importantly, i was able to get the "moment" as it is quite a responsive camera.

anyways, i promise to put more up this evening.

all the night shots were done in b/w (my preference), spot metered as i found the multi-metering tended to over expose. this was fixed in a firmware update and so i used that for the rest of my tests -- as well as moving to colour JPEGs.

i have to say, though, i much preferred the b/w view in the EVF, especially in critical lighting.

Lili

it was, Lili! i think this camera might give your Fuji's a run for the money :D
I am quite sure it would, for far much more cash as well ;)
Seriously though, I am waiting with interest to see how this camera plays out; I hate being an early adopter but the large sensor draw IS alluring...
OT, I wrote chriscam about repairing my GRD today so we will just see how that one plays out too....

barjohn

I just read on another forum how slow the AF is. Has this been your experience? Is Ricoh aware that this is an issue? Have they indicated that they intend to address this before release in December?

cam

John -- i wrote to you about AF on the other forum. for other's sake, i will post both your question and my answer.

Cam, please keep posting information. I placed an order with Amazon for one based on the DPR images when the camera was first announced. However, I am a little nervous about it as there is not a lot of information available in terms of AF performance and image quality. The only thing that can justify a camera like this with its very high price is if the performance is there. My biggest other concern is the lack of a roadmap for the future. I really want to see what other lenses will be offered with the APS-C sensor size. I would still like to see an interchangeable lens module (in particular the ability to use M lenses). Given the newness of this concept, I think it is important to give prospective buyers a roadmap to ensure they are not buying into a dead end concept.
AF performance is quite good. it is very quick (much less so in Macro) and even able to focus in low light or tricky conditions where i'm not sure if i could manually. the AF is not, however, quick enough for the decisive moment (i'm talking split second here). but then again, i'm of the mind that NO camera is... in SNAP or MF (where you can quickly change the distance on the lens barrel), it isn't a problem. i also like the option they give you to use AF and then tweak it to perfection in manual on the lens.

the image quality is superb. a lot of care was taken into making this optic and it shows. whilst it is plenty sharp, i find it more classical in tone, allowing for very smooth and creamy, gentle OOF transitions. it often feels more like film that digital. the specular highlights are perfectly rounded as well.... if you prefer a very modern (digital) look, this lens is not for you. but, personally, i love it.

they are working on new modules and i agree that it would be nice to hear a roadmap sooner rather than later. i know they are listening to what people want, though, including building a sensor with the ability to mount M lenses.

the person you are quoting above got his 15 minutes of fame by walking in a store and touching the camera. in no way is it the same as actually using the camera. i'm sorry, but it's true.

i've stated here and elsewhere that the 50mm and probably other modules in the future need the added size and weight for proper handling and balance. 50mm with an APS-C size sensor would be ludicrous.

as for the slow focus, he was likely using it in Macro mode or the dual mode which is set to auto-detect when you need to go into macro (not necessary, IMO, to ever have this on). Macro mode is slow, but when you consider the precision necessary for this to function correctly on this lens, especially wide open, it's no wonder.

Last edited:

ShiroKuro

I played with one today ; ).... It is a very nice camera .... I can only comment on how it felt in my hands .... simply amazing ... on ergonomics alone this camera is incredible ... Felt like making a run for the door but could not find the battery charger .... Had along with me a Hexar AF ... very similar in looks and feel .... I think people are going to be very happy with this camera ...

W

wbrandsma

How much does it take to convince you Helen? Like Cam I have now the possibility to play with the GXR for a couple of days with the 50mm lens. Even though it is a macro lens it produces excellent results too for available light and street.

pollobarca

Mediaworld, thats the Italian branch of the German Mediamarkt , have the GXR with prices
for all the accessories too.
http://tinyurl.com/ylzqj2j

670 euro for the 50mm module- GULP!
34 euro for the lens cap ( my lc1 cost 17 euro from Japan including postage)
Tthis is something that needs to be waited for, once the prices start to settle it should come around to something more sensible. 670 euro for a lens that can/will be outdated by sensor technology improvements..... A bit steep really .

al the best

paul