The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Its on Ricoh's Japanese site now

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
And across the street from me, Yodobashi-Yokohama says they have it in stock.
-bob

Last edited:

peterb

I just read about it. What an BRILLIANT concept! Sorta like Hasselblads and other medium format cameras that have a self contained shutter with the lens, but this includes the sensor as well. There are several really intriguing things about this concept.

One, since the lenses/sensor units are sealed there's little worry about the dust issue. And if the optics of their previous cameras are any indication the lenses will be TOP NOTCH.

Two, Ricoh has finally, EFFECTIVELY addressed what I've always felt was the weakest aspect in the whole digital age and that is when you bought a camera (or system) you were committed to a sensor and its resolution. (In the film era when you bought a camera like an M6 for example and could keep the equipment or at least the body while Kodak and Fuji and Agfa duked it out in the film department.)

Thus when the sensor is improved (like the M8) you don't have to toss out legacy equipment when a better sensor came along. Although the costs for each lens/sensor won't be cheap (so far $860 for the 50mm unit).

I have always yearned for a system where you could buy a camera body and be able to change or improve the sensor (unlike ridiculously exorbitant medium format systems) and Ricoh appears to have finally made that possible. So far a fast 50mm f2.5 with an APSC sized sensor. And a zippy f2.5 zoom with a smaller sensor. (As DPReview put it you trade compactness for quality but you have the option for both.)

I also like the rugged magnesium body. And a CHOICE of EVF or optical finders. And the 920 kilodot LCD is no slouch either.

With Ricoh having made ENORMOUS strides in the noise control on their previous small sensor cameras the use of their algorithms on the APS-C size sensor will also be worth looking into as yet a new formidable challenge to mirrorbox-less mFT and APS-C cameras like the GF1, EP-1 and 2, DP-2, X1 and whatever Sony is supposed to announce in a week.

I'd been considering getting a the GF1 but have concluded since I'd want the EVF anyway I might as well stick with my G1 and the 20mm f1.7 pancake as the unit will be relatively non-descript and compact.

But THIS concept opens up a whole new ball game. And I'm going to line up to check out this camera.

Peter

peterb

The question for you, Guy, is....WHAT will discussions be under? Small sensor? APS-C? Or its own Ricoh thread?

cam

And across th estreet from me, Yodobashi-Yokohama says they have it in stock.
-bob
Bob -- i seriously thought you were teasing. my bad! (you do have a quirky sense of humour, you know?)

at the very least, you have to go over and give it a fondle for us :p

trisberg

Thus when the sensor is improved (like the M8) you don't have to toss out legacy equipment when a better sensor came along. Although the costs for each lens/sensor won't be cheap (so far $860 for the 50mm unit).
Well, you now have to toss out your lenses instead of the body. I think I would rather keep a lens that I really like and replace the body to get an improved sensor. Seems a bit impractical to have one sensor per lens unless you limit your system to a couple of lenses.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The question for you, Guy, is....WHAT will discussions be under? Small sensor? APS-C? Or its own Ricoh thread?
Great question and actually thought about that this morning, where the heck do we put this thing in the forum. LOL

bradhusick

It's nice to see companies thinking outside the box. I fear that the lens/sensor modules will be expensive, although anything compared to Leica is inexpensive.

Now imagine new modules for IR, UV, very low light, achromatic (b+w), or even profiled like classic films (Velvia, Kodachrome, etc.)!

Keep it coming, Ricoh!