The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR - Its on Ricoh's Japanese site now

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I would love a B&W optimized component!!! Then, layer in classic B&W film profiles in-camera.
I would not like to see any film profiles baked-in to the image. Personally, picking what you like in post processing is far more flexible.
-bob

andrewteee

Agreed, but I shoot RAW and in-camera JPGs on my cameras. With the Olympus EP1 I shoot RAW plus the in-camera B&W filter (underexposed around a stop, give or take). In most cases I prefer to PP an image in Silver Efex Pro, however in some cases the in-camera JPG B&W shot is what I'm looking for. I would love to have more in-camera B&W "filters." With two young kids and full-time work I don't have all day and night to take pictures and post process ; ) Plus, many people like Ricoh's in-camera B&W JPGs.

cam

andrewtee-- the GXR, like other Ricohs, allows you to shoot RAW & JPEG. the b/w has a ton of options and it's quite easy to find a look you like with a little trial and error.

jonoslack

I would love a B&W optimized component!!! Then, layer in classic B&W film profiles in-camera.
. . .. and of course, if they were making a black and white only lens, they could do away with the bayer filter and get 3 times the resolution for the same number of pixels.

Okay Cam
mgr mmgggr grrmmm mmmgggrre

(I seem to be eating my hat).

I still don't want one though

bradhusick

I would not like to see any film profiles baked-in to the image. Personally, picking what you like in post processing is far more flexible.
-bob
Bob, every sensor processes with its own unique profile based on its physics, baking this into the RAW file. There really is no such thing as "pure RAW".

fordfanjpn

And across the street from me, Yodobashi-Yokohama says they have it in stock.
-bob
The Japanese site says it will go on sale in the beginning of December. If you order it between now and the day before it goes on sale, they'll give you a Ricoh strap.

Bill

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Fellow at the Yokohama Yodobashi says he has one I can look at.
I will go there this afternoon (Japan time)
-bob

andrewteee

andrewtee-- the GXR, like other Ricohs, allows you to shoot RAW & JPEG. the b/w has a ton of options and it's quite easy to find a look you like with a little trial and error.
I do this today with the GRD series. But, would love to have more control. I tweak exposure, ISO and the B&W settings to get something I'm looking for, but to have a catalog of film-type settings to use as a base for further tweaking would be sweet.

I'm also in agreement with the wish to have a sensor component without an AA filter for the most B&W clarity (along the lines of Sigma or Leica).

O

Oxide Blu

Don't know, but HOPING -- HOPING -- HOPING ... hoping the GXR's 1.88x telephoto converter lens TC-1 that fits the new 43mm HA-3 adapter can also be used with the GRD3's 43mm GH-2 adapter. That would make a 52mm lens out of the GRD3's 28mm, making up for ground loss by not providing a 40mm TC for the GRD3 like Ricoh had for the GRD2. Hoping ...

Praying and the lighting of candles for the Digital Gods to start at sundown.

nostatic

I dunno...I have to admit this has pushed me back towards the X1. At least that camera is a camera that doesn't have an identity crisis. And the Ricoh isn't hugely cheaper either.

Of course I kind of poo-poo'd the iPod when it first came out so what do I know :D

ecsh

Having to purchase a new lens and sensor makes less sense than getting rid of the body itself to upgrade at a later date with new sensors. Typically, all manufacturers lens stick around for some time, but, with the old tech sensor attached, don't know.
Have to see how this plays out.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
How do we mount the lenses on the Pen or the Panny?

Hold on........what....oh.....

it's the left side of my brain arguing with the right side....
I'm stuck in the middle with a camera that only works with itself.......
Boy, that sure is doing a lot to support the m 4/3 movement...

what....ok...I'll shut up.....