The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What future GXR modules would you most like to see?

andrewteee

Since the modular approach of the GXR design allows for any number of design concepts, what modules would you most like to see in the future?

First, I would like to see a sensor/lens module optimized for B&W photography. It would target high dynamic range, avoid an AA for the most sharpness and clarity, and include a catalog of classic B&W film types for in-camera JPGs along the lines of Silver Efex Pro, and allow for a wide range of customization of the in-camera JPG settings (contrast, sharpness, brightness, grain, etc). I would still shoot RAW, but this in-camera B&W JPG capability would be great to have. Probably with a 50mm lens, but 28 and 35mm would be fine too.

If pressed for more, I would like to see an M-mount module to use with my Zeiss lenses.

It ain't going to happen, but yes, a Foveon sensor inside of a Ricoh snesor/lens module would be a dream.

So go ahead and imagine the possibilities. And listen up Ricoh :)

pollobarca

A series of modules that would accept other mounts. thats a first.
Then a shifting sensor or shiftlens.
A wireless module and wireless plug in so the lens unit could be off the camera
or perhaps we could have two or more lens units attached wirelessly, take one snap from lots of angles.
thats what I want
now some wild ideas..
A telescope module
a Microscope module
an underwater module (body would plug in inside the lens untit)
lens unit with interchangeable sensors ( IR, etc)
How many more- well how about a film module..., with the optical VF.

Skies the limit , Literally if we have a flying wireless module.

b rgds

paul

Mikec

Definitely a dedicated B&W sensor with high dynamic range and no AA filter. Assuming the same sensor size as the GRD III, a 8.5mm f/1.0 lens would be a dream!

Since the modular approach of the GXR design allows for any number of design concepts, what modules would you most like to see in the future?

First, I would like to see a sensor/lens module optimized for B&W photography. It would target high dynamic range, avoid an AA for the most sharpness and clarity, and include a catalog of classic B&W film types for in-camera JPGs along the lines of Silver Efex Pro, and allow for a wide range of customization of the in-camera JPG settings (contrast, sharpness, brightness, grain, etc). I would still shoot RAW, but this in-camera B&W JPG capability would be great to have. Probably with a 50mm lens, but 28 and 35mm would be fine too.

If pressed for more, I would like to see an M-mount module to use with my Zeiss lenses.

It ain't going to happen, but yes, a Foveon sensor inside of a Ricoh snesor/lens module would be a dream.

So go ahead and imagine the possibilities. And listen up Ricoh :)

s.agar

Definitely a dedicated B&W sensor with high dynamic range and no AA filter. Assuming the same sensor size as the GRD III, a 8.5mm f/1.0 lens would be a dream!
That would be nice.
28mm equivalent lens with high ISO performance sensor would be my preference.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
They have apparently done some experimenting already. The module where the camera and lens is connected by wireless would be a dream for product photography. One could walk over to the product with the viewfinder in hand, and see how changes affect the photo real time.

pollobarca

They have apparently done some experimenting already. The module where the camera and lens is connected by wireless would be a dream for product photography. One could walk over to the product with the viewfinder in hand, and see how changes affect the photo real time.
Jorgen,

I've a feeling that the business applications of a module system will be a lot more than the amateur ones. Here in the office we are having a lot of problems getting a High Image quality surveillance system in place. The Boss
wants to see every detail, he's right too when you know the reasons, so he dont have to leave his desk to see if someone is jiggerry with the seal nrs etc. High quality lens units (zoom?) would solve a lot. Even 200 euro webcams arent up to the work here.

Then there is the fact that the body of this camera is rugged, alloy etc. Perhaps more than a purely amateur clientele mostly requires.

On the Ricoh Forum there is a link to down load the manual. Very interesting
and convincing as price is not mentioned!Heres the link

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1711162/gxr_a12_s10_user_guide.zip

b rgds

paul

pollobarca

Yes Tim, and a sensor designed for Time lapse use or how about a bird spotters scope ?

the Military might want a nightscope module, perhaps all conecting wirelessly.

Regarding surveillance. Once the lens unit has gone wireless it can be made smaller.
Bugs in the Bed of Berlusconi!!! Paparazzi wold go wild for that. Put a green coloured zoom unit in a tree near to Berlusconis swimming pool

s.agar

I guess they have removed the link.

Jorgen,

I've a feeling that the business applications of a module system will be a lot more than the amateur ones. Here in the office we are having a lot of problems getting a High Image quality surveillance system in place. The Boss
wants to see every detail, he's right too when you know the reasons, so he dont have to leave his desk to see if someone is jiggerry with the seal nrs etc. High quality lens units (zoom?) would solve a lot. Even 200 euro webcams arent up to the work here.

Then there is the fact that the body of this camera is rugged, alloy etc. Perhaps more than a purely amateur clientele mostly requires.

On the Ricoh Forum there is a link to down load the manual. Very interesting
and convincing as price is not mentioned!Heres the link

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1711162/gxr_a12_s10_user_guide.zip

b rgds

paul

pollobarca

Yes,
Pavel had to remove the link:
"EDIT: I'm sorry folks, but I was requested by Ricoh to remove the manual (even after previous approval). At least for now. I guess it was not the final document?

I can only politely ask people who already downloaded the manual, not to share it until further notice. Thank you for understanding!"

b rgds

paul

V

Vivek

I want a camera with true interchangeable lenses. I will decide what lenses to use and when.

Chuck this sealed modules and come up with something useful. Be a real competitor to the m4/3rds "system".

pollobarca

Vivek,
Nikon,Canon,Olympus all make DSLR's. I dont think they will change much so you have no problems.

I am at a loss now between EP2 GF1 and the GXR. Money and heart say EP2.
Enjoying my camera seems to be Ricoh- I really like handling my GX100 and
taking pictures with it(Ive shot over 20000 in 22 months with the GX100). I fancy the GF1 except for the word "Panasonic" which makes me think of cheap radios.

I'll be waiting about for a while yet to see how things develop. This Ricoh is an advance
in any case. For sure Ricoh have done their sums and got some deals before doing this. If they havent then its corporate lunacy!

b rgds

paul

V

Vivek

Paul,

I am waiting for a mirrorless Sony cam to hit the streets.

There is G1, my current most used camera. There is no other worthy challenger for it, yet.

One of the most versatile cameras ever.

Panasonic is very big on making batteries. :ROTFL:

pollobarca

Yes the G1 is at Pixmania at 563 euro (14-45 lens) . Add an Oly pancake lens and you have something for about 850 euro that does a lot of the GXR stuff.Plus a whip out LCD included.

In fact panasonic have been clever enough to write LUMIX on their cameras, like they used to write Technics on their hi-end stereos. They really dont like their own name it seems.:p

V

Vivek

Yes the G1 is at Pixmania at 563 euro (14-45 lens) . Add an Oly pancake lens and you have something for about 850 euro that does a lot of the GXR stuff.Plus a whip out LCD included.
That whip out LCD is what makes the G1 so versatile. By luck or design, Panasonic hit a home run with it despite the pseudo DSLR looks of the G1.

The GF-1 has an "optional" EVF that is inferior in quality to the integrated EVF of the G1(extra $$$). The E-P1 has no EVF...

Last edited:

cam

In fact panasonic have been clever enough to write LUMIX on their cameras, like they used to write Technics on their hi-end stereos. They really dont like their own name it seems.:p
not always.

when Panasonic was selling DATs (high end audio recorders), the Panasonic name was on the professional units (along with a really hideous grey colour) whereas Technics (in beautiful black) was for their consumer level machines.

it kind of amuses me because Panasonic really was the DAT to buy and people were very proud of owning one -- as those were the models seen in practically every recording studio.

funny how perceptions change according to the industry.

(then again, i still think of them as Matsu$hita* :ROTFL: i'm feeling old.)

* i can't believe the forum would not allow me to spell that out!

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
A true monochrome sensor (CCD) with no AA filter, no Bayer filter and a native ISO of 100 and as large as possible sensor. Couple this with a 50mm equivalent 50/1.4 lens and I might buy one.