The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some recent photos

nostatic

i played a bit with the original. A tough one...mainly tried to lighten it a bit and tried to remove the bit of harsh reflection from his ring.

jonoslack

Lovely #! / more Striking a rendition
Shot 2 / there is a sinister quality lurking there

Jono: Glad your Back......All the Best..... Helen
HI Helen
Thank you - it's nice to BE back (although it doesn't get the work done!).

I'm not sure that I really did the first shot any favours, still, I only spent a few minutes on it.
The second one seemed to me to need to be in black and white, I also cropped it a little tighter to increase the tension - I agree, it's a sinister shot.

jonoslack

i played a bit with the original. A tough one...mainly tried to lighten it a bit and tried to remove the bit of harsh reflection from his ring.

I rather liked the ring - here's my take:

here is the other one (not so good I think):

helenhill

I love the photo. It hints at what is going on, and I just feel like I need to see a bit more to reach a little further into my gut. Resonates with those stolen moments in a dark patch with some young girl who's name you've long forgotten, but was important in that youthful moment.
Hmm, time for another shower perhaps..
i do like what you did / perhaps enlarging also created more tension as opposed to the love factor (kissing in a back alley)

It seems the 'redo' has more of a Hitchcock feel now
Be Careful in the Shower.... there's a 'PSYCHO ' waiting:ROTFL:
Cheers! Helen

sizifo

A more explicit scene from the market. And a few other shots from the same day, all with the 40mm converter. Why not? The last one is just to prove that Germans like their automats.

sizifo

I like the very grainy one jonoslack. However, I'm quite convinced that it's not possible to make this photo work 100%. Here is another attempt by me.

Really got sucked into this forum today. Must sleep, must work...

sizifo

That looks very good TRSmith. Tried to light up the face myself, but then gave up in the course of pulling various sliders to the max. Really nice. Wins for me.

sizifo

Thanks. Just off to catch a flight to a small village in England, called London, where I'm not sure how quickly I'll find internet. So if I don't reply to something for a while, it's not out of rudeness.

DavidE

That is a great photo. You have the feeling that if you take away the piece of trash by his foot, the composition would go out of kilter.

sizifo

a bit softer. Too bad it's a .jpg

It's a great idea to soften the image. It works especially well in your version, since the faces come out. I kept wanting to come back to this for a while, since I didn't think so much could be squeezed from this image.

Anyway, I tried to mimic your version in Aperture, but there seems to be no way to soften an image. Does anybody know how this can be done? In any case, it would be great to know how you did it, I presume in photoshop - which I have, but am not familiar with at all.

sizifo

That is a great photo. You have the feeling that if you take away the piece of trash by his foot, the composition would go out of kilter.
Completely true, the piece of trash is important. In fact I took a different piece of trash out, in about 30 seconds in aperture. Was surprised how easy it is to do. Below is the original, just to show how much that little extra bit unbalances the photo. And a slightly different take, with more contrast, though the first is probably better.

P.S. Sorry for resurrecting this thread, I just had a few points to make, but no time to do it.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It's a great idea to soften the image. It works especially well in your version, since the faces come out. I kept wanting to come back to this for a while, since I didn't think so much could be squeezed from this image.

Anyway, I tried to mimic your version in Aperture, but there seems to be no way to soften an image. Does anybody know how this can be done? In any case, it would be great to know how you did it, I presume in photoshop - which I have, but am not familiar with at all.
I wish I could give you a straight answer. It now seems so long ago. I do remember that it was late at night and I just started playing with it in photoshop. I remember a mask or two and some selections with adjustment layers specific to them, but I can't pull up the recipe. One likely effect I would have tried was the use of an action that's part of the PixelGenius PK Sharpener plugin. It's a blur tool that you set up as a brush and can "paint" blur whereever you want it and then adjust its opacity. I also make use of the selective color tool a lot, even in B&W. I'm a tiny bit more organized with working process for my own stuff, but this was just for fun.

You captured a very nice feeling. Reminded me of being young and (ahem) passionate (I'm thinking of another word here, but you get my drift).

Jump right in to Photoshop, it's the coolest.

sizifo

Thanks for the answer, I'll probably get back to you after the next pp attempt on that photo.

The reason why I've been using aperture much more than photoshop is that I find it very intuitive. I can open it after a few weeks of not doing any photo stuff, and all the shortcuts etc. are still in my fingers. Every time I start learning photoshop, I'm amazed at how powerful it is, but coming back after a break it really takes a while to get into again. It's probably that I've simply not used it often enough.

Photoshop is much more of the beast of course, and shouldn't really be compared directly with aperture, but still.

Just realized that the new doge and burn plugin in aperture has a blur tool, like the one that you mention.