The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some recent photos

sizifo

Just thought I'd post some recent photos. Really grateful for any comments, especially critical ones :thumbdown:. The second is taken with my new 40mm converter.

sizifo

And two more, that don't fit with the above. The first reminded me of the scene with cars going to heaven in Monty Python's Meaning of Life :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I like the sense that there's a story involved with all of them. Something interesting and I want to figure it out. And there's a very nice buzz to some of them too. Energy that might even be a little disturbing.

I have difficulty with the black and whites though. I like the images but I can't get past the squashed tonality. It might just be my own prejudices showing, but they seem flat, the light is gone.

My favorite is the dog walker. Nice work!

Maggie O

I like the B&W- nice silvery tones.

I might lighten up the lower half of the cars going to heaven shot, just a bit- there's not quite enough detail to get the idea yet, IMO.

helenhill

I agree with Terry (Photoautomat)....its a GREAT shot
I also love your first shot
Your B&W seems to have more ALLURE for me ....Cheers ! Helen

sizifo

Thanks for all comments, much appreciated. Personally, I liked the first by far the most, which is why I put it on top :thumbup: . Photoautomat is second. TEBnewyork and hellen, is it because the guy is hot (no opinion on this myself)? Seriously, I'm quite happy and a bit surprised that some of the sentiments I had seem to get across.

Regarding the B&W conversion, I can't really defend it, because I'm not 100% convinced by it myself. I did have a very similar thought just before posting, namely, that they look a bit dull, especially in the small format. "the light is gone" is a very good way to put it. I was impressed by this sentence! This is not completely for the worse, but definitely, as they are, I'm not happy with them myself. It will take some time and effort to get the PP right.

jonoslack

Regarding the B&W conversion, I can't really defend it, because I'm not 100% convinced by it myself. I did have a very similar thought just before posting, namely, that they look a bit dull, especially in the small format. "the light is gone" is a very good way to put it. I was impressed by this sentence! This is not completely for the worse, but definitely, as they are, I'm not happy with them myself. It will take some time and effort to get the PP right.
I like them all as well - as for the black and white conversion - I also like the 'light is gone' remark, but it might be misleading - there just doesn't seem to be a lot of mid-range contrast (the histogram needs stretching out). Of course, this is always to taste, and you might not want them to be 'snappy' (like a crocodile rather than like a snapshot you understand :grin:)

nostatic

for the 1st one, I wish I (well, you) was one step to the left for framing. I'm intrigued by 4 but can't see it. I'm wondering if you can push the snot out of it in pp and get something that sucks me in more.

sizifo

jonoslack - Getting this right will take me some time. Sliding the mid-range contrast up gets the "light back", but the images don't look. I guess that I've been able to get a flat look that I like ok quickly, but getting a good contrasty look seems a lot more difficult.

nostatic - Is it possible that you elaborate just a bit? "push the snot out of it" - this is either a typo or an expression that I don't understand :). Regarding the first photo, in addition to the expression and the clouds right above the head, I like how the various signs and traffic lights (+the paper on the ground) are scattered around. Moving would change this and I have a hard time imagining that it would work as well. I guess one could see what he's doing with the hands better: going through the garbage. Having said this, the photo was taken in a milisecond, from a bicycle, with almost no conscious composition.

helenhill

Thanks for all comments, much appreciated. Personally, I liked the first by far the most, which is why I put it on top :thumbup: . Photoautomat is second. TEBnewyork and hellen, is it because the guy is hot (no opinion on this myself)? Seriously, I'm quite happy and a bit surprised that some of the sentiments I had seem to get across
No I don't think the guy is hot by my standards
ITS MORE THE Whole FEEL of the SHOT
the mannequin wrapped around him, his look to you, and the other two oblivious to the whole scene lost in their conversation and the charming Photoautomat Booth
It seems so very CINEMATIC to me

I also loved what MikeWALKER said sooo BRILIANTLY
"You have a refreshing view from the common, I lke em"
as for the blk & whte being dull / yes it could have a tad push more but thats also refreshing that its not sooo Stylised
Thanks ! :) helen

nostatic

nostatic - Is it possible that you elaborate just a bit? "push the snot out of it" - this is either a typo or an expression that I don't understand :). Regarding the first photo, in addition to the expression and the clouds right above the head, I like how the various signs and traffic lights (+the paper on the ground) are scattered around. Moving would change this and I have a hard time imagining that it would work as well. I guess one could see what he's doing with the hands better: going through the garbage. Having said this, the photo was taken in a milisecond, from a bicycle, with almost no conscious composition.
no typo...just a street colloquialism. I mean push hard on the sliders in pp to see what you get. Not sure what things you did to the original. I've taken the liberty of playing with it to show you what I mean. Given with the disclaimer that I really don't know what I'm doing...I just play in Aperture and call it a day at some point. If I knew how to properly use photoshop, I'd "dodge and burn" the hands of the couple to bring that out a bit. It's on my list of things to do (learn PS better that is).

wrt to the framing, I find serendipity to often rule. I figured you were on foot, and as I always disclaimer (again), often my "bright ideas" suck when actually tried. That's why I toss a fair amount of my own shots. I think it was that I just felt like it was a little vertical heavy on the left side of the frame and I found myself sort of craning my neck to move left a bit to see around the can and him framed over the other side of the building.

Terry

Thanks for all comments, much appreciated. Personally, I liked the first by far the most, which is why I put it on top :thumbup: . Photoautomat is second. TEBnewyork and hellen, is it because the guy is hot (no opinion on this myself)? Seriously, I'm quite happy and a bit surprised that some of the sentiments I had seem to get across.
It isn't that the guy is hot, it is the way he is holding the legs. It makes you look more than once.

sizifo

nostatic - Thanks for taking the time, it looks better than the original. I feel this photo is interesting as far as the subject and composition, but the original capture is so underexposed that I've not been able to make it work. Uploaded all the images to http://gallery.mac.com/vid33#gallery , feel free to do with it what you like (you can download the originals). Unfortunately this one is just a jpeg -the others are raw - which makes it more difficult.

Have been thinking for a while how to start a discussion on the +s and -s of street photography, along the lines of what you just did. Cool!

Regarding photo no. 1. What I like about it is precisely that it's unbalanced in a weird way. In fact it's mostly this that makes it no. 1 for me.

The guys were mocking about with the legs, just had to take photos. I have more like it, but that's probably the best one.

nostatic

nostatic - Thanks for taking the time, it looks better than the original. I feel this photo is interesting as far as the subject and composition, but the original capture is so underexposed that I've not been able to make it work. Uploaded all the images to http://gallery.mac.com/vid33#gallery , feel free to do with it what you like (you can download the originals). Unfortunately this one is just a jpeg -the others are raw - which makes it more difficult.

Have been thinking for a while how to start a discussion on the +s and -s of street photography, along the lines of what you just did. Cool!

Regarding photo no. 1. What I like about it is precisely that it's unbalanced in a weird way. In fact it's mostly this that makes it no. 1 for me.

The guys were mocking about with the legs, just had to take photos. I have more like it, but that's probably the best one.
I love the photo. It hints at what is going on, and I just feel like I need to see a bit more to reach a little further into my gut. Resonates with those stolen moments in a dark patch with some young girl who's name you've long forgotten, but was important in that youthful moment.

Hmm, time for another shower perhaps. Anywho I agree with what you're saying about #1 and in fact my "one step back, one step to the left" spot may have not worked at all. I've gotten better, but still can't always predict how my movement is going to alter the perspective of all the elements. Forever a student I am. Order my words properly I not.

jonoslack

Well, hostages to fortune, and I'm not sure that I've really improved anything, but perhaps it answers the question about 'taking away the light'

helenhill

Lovely #! / more Striking a rendition
Shot 2 / there is a sinister quality lurking there

Jono: Glad your Back......All the Best..... Helen