The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Purple Flowers -> blue

Terry

HI Terry

The real truth however was that the files from the M8 were so much better than either . . . . . . .
Jono,
That is the hard part. When I was in Moab, I used one of my little cameras when I wanted long reach (Panny TZ3 with 280mm). When you look at the shots, it is obvious they are from a different camera. We do get spoiled with M8 files!

jonoslack

Jono,
That is the hard part. When I was in Moab, I used one of my little cameras when I wanted long reach (Panny TZ3 with 280mm). When you look at the shots, it is obvious they are from a different camera. We do get spoiled with M8 files!
Of course you're right, and I wasn't surprised that the low light shots from the M8 were so much better. What DID surprise me is how much better they were at base ISO - not just resolution, but pop and feel:

None of the small sensor cameras could manage this kind of 'zing'

jonoslack

You're making it a lot easier for me to rationalize buying either a GRD2 or GX-100 to go along with my Dlux3 ;)

And in my case, now that I've been shooting with the Pentax K20d and glass like the 77mm ltd for a few weeks, I can see the shortcomings of the files coming out of the Dlux3.

Then again, I can't stuff the pentax in my pocket.
I almost fell for the Pentax at focus last month . . . almost!

On the other hand, you could fit an M8 with a 28mm elmarit in your pocket (coat pocket maybe, but still a pocket).
:)

helenhill

Of course you're right, and I wasn't surprised that the low light shots from the M8 were so much better. What DID surprise me is how much better they were at base ISO - not just resolution, but pop and feel:
None of the small sensor cameras could manage this kind of 'zing'
WOW....Intoxicating
you can Feel that Crisp Mountain Air ...... Helen

helenhill

good gawd...that's gorgeous.

must...resist...temptation...to...buy...M8...
Please excuse me for being crude /its really so unlike ME ...Im a girlie girl really
but YOUR New G.A.S. Attack will be followed by F.A.R.T. /Finally Acquired Recent Temptation
.......:ROTFL: Cheers! helen

and JACK
that PURPLE Flower is Purely Divine /Magnifique Colour

Last edited:

Martin S

I took a course at Brooks Institute on shooting jewelry (my wife is a designer, and fabricator). Of course, I brought some samples which (of course) included some purple gems.

Well, it was frustrating experience to look at the results (light box with balanced light sources, Canon 5D with 100 mm macro).

No one with any combination of equipment could get the purple gems to look purple. The color ranged from bright blue to pale blue. The instructor could not give me an valid explanation except "I don't shoot purple objects." This comment is from a professional table top photographer who makes his living doing this type of photography.

This thread has finally answered the question.

Maybe I too shouldn't shoot purple objects??

Thanks for the explanation. BTW with a lot of PP I was able to get something which resembled purple, but the rest of the colors were way off.

Martin

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
The instructor could not give me an valid explanation except "I don't shoot purple objects." This comment is from a professional table top photographer who makes his living doing this type of photography.
Yikes! Well at least it helps put some things into perspective!
On the up side, it's really nice to know it's not just me! (because frankly, it usually is :D)