The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sigma DP1

scott kirkpatrick

The Foveon sensor produces three signals, each containing different mixtures of R, G, and B. The amount of admixture expected is known, at least informally. David Coffin's DCRAW package can separate them, so third party software which uses DCRAW under the covers can handle a Foveon sensor. Bigger companies, such as Adobe and Phase One, which write clean room code, or for reasons of quality will only support cameras that they have written their own filters for, are slower to support Sigma's cameras.

scott

jonoslack

Terry (and Maggie)

Maggie,
I don't know if the foveon sensor will actually force the you to always use Sigma software. I haven't followed the SD14 closely enough but I thought it was different enough that it isn't just a simple time delay for LR, ACR etc. to add the processing.
I think this is probably the biggest gotcha with Fovean - Apple don't support any Fovean cameras (and I wouldn't bet money that they will either). If you can convert to DNG, then that would be okay as a storage media (which Aperture and Lightroom would then read). The idea of having a nice little carry around pocket camera and having to use Sigma software to convert to .TIFF files does not fill me with enthusiasm!:wtf:

Lili

David; you stated the camera is not as well made as the GRD series and the controls are not so good.
Could you elaborate a bit?
How do the controls compare to say a Finepix F30?

DavidE

Lili,

I've been spoiled by the GRD2, which I think is an exceptionally well-constructed camera. I also love that I can set up most of the buttons and dials for manual settings.

The DPI feels solid (not fragile), but it doesn't sit as well in my hand. There's no raised grip in the front, as there is with the GRD2. There's no MY1 and MY2 equivalent. There's no Adj button I can press to quickly adjust my four favorite settings. I have to go into the menus to change the ISO (unless I'm missing something -- I haven't had a chance to read through the manual). Both my GRD2 and 40D let me access the ISO from outside the menus. I'm gonna miss that.

The controls on the back are raised more than the controls on the GRD2. The DP1 controls are probably just as strong, but it gives the impression (along with the boxlike shape and clunky grip), that the DP1 resembles a solidly built $400 point-and-shoot rather than a solidly built $800 DSLR.

I'm not familiar with the controls on the Finepix F30, so I couldn't compare the two cameras.

I shouldn't have stated (or implied) that it is poorly constructed -- only that in comparison to the exceptional GRD2, Sigma missed an opportunity to match the excellent image quality with an equally well-designed camera body and interface.

It's a question of less-than-optimal design rather than falls-apart-if-you-drop-it construction.

Last edited:
B

bartlebooth

I would say build quality of the DP1 is similar to Ricoh, they are both metal bodies that feel solid in the hand, no wobbly parts,etc. I would agree Ricoh's ergonomics are slightly better with a better grip and I do miss the adj lever on the back. However, this is offset by the manual focus wheel (with distance markings right on it) which is a big improvement over using up and down arrows to change focus. Also I find changing exposure on Sigma slightly easier than with GRD especially when using the optical VF (all exposure settings displayed at first press). So to me, in usability etc. its a mixed bag, each camera has advantages in some areas but both are very competent. But in IQ, I will say again the DP1 RAW files are simply amazing, as good as those I get from my M8, which is pretty incredible for such a compact camera.

DavidE

in IQ, I will say again the DP1 RAW files are simply amazing, as good as those I get from my M8, which is pretty incredible for such a compact camera.
I've never shot with an M8 (I did hold one at PMA last month). I can say from just the 20 or so shots I've taken so far with the DP1, the image quality is as good as my 40D equipped with Canon's 50mm f1.4 prime lens.

It was interesting to read your experiences with the controls, since you've had it for a week. Are you gripping it front-and-back on the areas with the raised dots? That doesn't feel very secure with my right hand. Have you found a better way to hold it?

B

bartlebooth

yeah, I grip it with my right hand but also out of habit use my left hand to steady it (hold the bottom left if using OVF or top & bottom left if using lcd).I agree just using one hand is a bit awkward because of the button placement.

Lili

David and Bartlebooth,
Thanks so much for detailed information.
How are the JPEGs?
I am a complete NOOB to PP :(

DavidE

So far I've only shot RAW. There isn't the option, as there is with the GRD2, to shoot both RAW and JPG at the same time. Maybe they'll add that through firmware.

jonoslack

So far I've only shot RAW. There isn't the option, as there is with the GRD2, to shoot both RAW and JPG at the same time. Maybe they'll add that through firmware.
HI David
Do you know, can you use the Adobe DNG converter to convert the RAW files to DNG?

S

SimonL

HI David
Do you know, can you use the Adobe DNG converter to convert the RAW files to DNG?
The Sigma has a Foveon file format initially. The software that comes with the camera is the only one that will currently convert it.

Adobe took about 2 months to introduce an ACR version for the Sigma SD14.

I seem to remember that the Sigma software is rather better for 'import' sharpening rather than ACR.

HTH

DavidE

Jono,

I just downloaded and installed the current version (3.5). It loads the DP1's .X3F files, but gives an error when you try to convert them.

jonoslack

Simon, David
Thanks for that - I understand about the file structure - just wasn't sure how long it would take Adobe to get their act together.

I'm rather in favour of converting RAW files from less common formats to DNG for storage as it's even possible that they'll be readable in a few years time!

thomasl.se

I seem to remember that the Sigma software is rather better for 'import' sharpening rather than ACR.

HTH
Was that a while ago? The current ACR capture or import sharpening is very good IMO and fairly straightforward to get the best out of. The only time I go to PK for capture sharpening is when I want a healthy dose of noise reduction on the file.

Thomas

A

asabet

RAW files from the SD14, which has the same sensor as the DP1, are supported by ACR/Lightroom, Raw Developer (Mac only), and Sigma Photo Pro. I suspect that the DP1 files will work with at least these in time. Given that the DP1 will likely outsell all Sigma DSLRs put together, I think we are likely to see broader support for its RAW files. Apple has been very slow to add support for new cameras in Aperture, but I think it is likely that they too will support the DP1 if it sells well enough.