The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sonyericsson Satio

Lars

I do some freelance software development work for a startup here in Stockholm that makes mobile phone software. The company has access to a wide range of mobiles, and the other week I came across some images and videos shot with SE's new top of the line model Satio. It's got a 12MP sensor which sounds insane for a phone.

Big surprise though. First impression was definitely "wow". While it cannot compare favorably with the quality compacts discussed here, it actually takes some pixel-peeping to tell the difference. Video was equally impressive, I saw a low-light clip from a pop concert.

While I still wouldn't personally get one for use as a camera, I think it's a sign of things to come.

Any bets on when the first raw-capable cameraphone will emerge?

Lili

Lars I do use Camera phones, generally as a kind of Digital Holga, but I do not count them out for decent IQ. One thing I do like about most; they tend to use prime lenses, no zoom (save digital) for the most part.
With all the limitations and freedoms implicit in that design choice.
Sony's K800i used a 35mm-e F2.8.
Now if they would try for a fast, f2 or better, and lower the shutter lag that would simply rock for street work.
Whats more invisible than a camera phone?
;)

Lars

You know, it's funny to see how far the mobile phone world is from the camera world. I tried to find out focal length from Sonyericsson's official specifications of the Satio, but all that was stated was "12.1 Megapixels". I looked at several Sonyericsson websites. It's probably specified on the lens (as a form of decoration, to make it look more like a camera) but lens specs is apparently not considered a selling point.

I guess we still have a way to go.

Lili

I suspect the OEM's don't see the main market as being camera-people.
And I cannot disagree with that view, there are FAR more phone-centric users than camera-centric ones.
So they play to the market.
I do not know if ever I could see my camera-phone a replacement even for my P&S cams.
But they do have the virtue of being with one; whoever leaves home without their phone these days?
I did speak with a SE rep about the Satio among other handsets (I work in the industry now). He wouldn't give much solid info, save for they're moving from the Mem Stick to SDHC but nothing on seeing these devices in the US :(

Last edited:
O

Oxide Blu

Any bets on when the first raw-capable cameraphone will emerge?

I'm betting it will be when Ricoh releases a GSM3 or GSM4 module for the GXR. :D

ETA: just looked up the Sony Satio. It looks like Sony is marketing it as a gaming device?!? -- price near $900.

Last edited:
O

Oxide Blu

I was just reading the user manual -- the Satio has a friggin' compact camera built into it -- multi-image panoramic mode, image stabilization, xenon flash ... Didn't see any specs about the lens or pixel count in the user manual.

Also, it appears it is not for sale in Japan because the shutter sound can be muted. All handy phone cameras in Japan make a shutter sound so everyone in the vicinity is aware someone is take pix. Strange because compact cameras sold in Japan can be muted of all sounds.

pollobarca

Oxide,
the shutter sound was made compulsory because young ladies travelling on the subway found pics of their underwear up on the net before they had even got to the office from the station! A mobile phone is a lot easier to point up skirts it seems.

Here in Bergamo, a german trucker was arrested with a camera phone strapped to his boot upper...Video mode.:bugeyes:

the things people will do!

Personally I think its quite likely that a camera could easily have a phone
module attached, without its even being a GXR module. Evidently there may not be much of a market although I would like one, one less thing to cart around . But a high quality camera phone does not appeal to me. A low quality phone module would.

best regards

paul

Lili

I once poured a drink on a guys phone at a club here in Texas, evidently the practice of "upskirting" is not confined to Japan! The music was quite loud so a shutter sound would not have been heard. I saw the motion periphially however.
He was not pleased but was even less than happy when the bouncer, a close friend, 'explained' why his behavior was not acceptable...
At any rate, I personally dislike add-on modules of any sort on something I carry all the time. A phone module would have the very closely integrated into the cameras design so it would not look clumsy and/or be fragile.
T-Mobile has 8mp camera phone, the Memoir, that is very good indeed.
http://samsungmemoir.org/
You can actually adjust contast, sharpness, saturation and exposure.
All it really lacks is histogram ;)

Last edited:

Lars

I'm betting it will be when Ricoh releases a GSM3 or GSM4 module for the GXR. :D

ETA: just looked up the Sony Satio. It looks like Sony is marketing it as a gaming device?!? -- price near $900.
street price of $770 here (incl 25% sales tax, so $616 before sales tax) is more or less the going rate for smartphones, including the Apple variety.

Over here we like to talk about the actual cost of the device untied to any contract, rather than the down payment that telecoms like to call "price".

Last edited:

pollobarca

:thumbs:Good one Lili .
My idea of a module would be not much bigger than a sim card
( in the USA a lot of your phones are without SIM cards so heres the first problem) and software that would put a telephone pad on the LCD,2nd issue.

Speaker and microphone are already on the camera. Of course you couldnt have a vibrating camera! Then the last difficulty is that a phone costs 59 euro (even less in the supermarket offers , I've seen some models at 19,99 euro) for a standard Nokia classic with a camera and internet access too. I would still be interested in cutting down the devices I carry around so a decent priced add-on I could go for. Not more than 20% of the cameras purchase price.

b rgds

paul

O

Oxide Blu

Over here we like to talk about the actual cost of the device untied to any contract, rather than the down payment that telecoms like to call "price".

Maybe China is doing something similar -- folks buy their hardware separate from the service. But they can change service providers at any time.

A year or so ago I read that disposable (no frills) cell phones with pay as you go service agreements had surpassed long term service contracts in Europe. I think a company named Orange was named as being really popular and responsible for the big push in the change, but there were several companies offering such services across Europe.

Lars

Maybe China is doing something similar -- folks buy their hardware separate from the service. But they can change service providers at any time.

A year or so ago I read that disposable (no frills) cell phones with pay as you go service agreements had surpassed long term service contracts in Europe. I think a company named Orange was named as being really popular and responsible for the big push in the change, but there were several companies offering such services across Europe.
I don't see many disposable phones around here, but prepaid SIMs are fairly popular. Disposable rubs a bit against the grain here, so it's a difficult concept to sell. Phones are fashion especially with the younger crowd (definitely not with me hehe) so most teenagers don't want to be seen with a disposable.

My mobile broadband connection is prepaid - modem was $50, connection is $4/day, $12/week, or $35/month (I get 3.6 or 7.2Mbps). I don't need it all the time, so it's a good way to keep telecom costs in check. Most companies here don't let guests onto internal networks anymore, guests are expected to use their own mobile broadband.