The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Goodbye DL4, hello GRDIII

M

markpsf

Cam....

So how can I pass on the A12 when I can almost feel your pleasure with it?! And how will you possibly not buy it? ;)

And a few of you are so in love with the GRD III that think I will have to at least try it...I do well on Craig's List sales here so I always have that option.

I wish I knew someone here who had the Epson so I could at least give it a look.

Yeh, Little Italy is now filled with boutiques and feels more like Vogue Village.

But I just noticed that you live in my other favorite city. We had an apartment in the Marais for a week last year that just happened to be the time of the Fete de la Musique. I just didn't want to leave.

Til next...and thanks again.

Mark

mercurial and neurotic -- sounds like me :ROTFL:

seriously, though, the size of the GRDIII truly makes you want to gt closer and i highly doubt you'll have issues with it being a 28mm (well apart from the tricky portrait aspect). it's small enough to always have with you and that counts for a lot.

you made me laugh, thinking of old New York... i know it's cleaner and safer now (i was living there mid seventies, early eighties), but it has lost a lot of it's charm... i mean, what happened to Little Italy? grrrrrrrrr! i know i was there when things were going downhill, but still, i loved it.

as for the M8, it was not at first sight for me. not even close to the R-D1 in that regard. it is so bleeping stunning at 160 that it's easy to become obsessed with the technical, rather than the image. am i still shooting on it? but, of course! it just took me a while to adjust.

the R-D1 was just more filmic, simple, and elegant (if not nearly as attractive) -- and truly a joy to use. i will defend that camera to the death.

as for the fun factor in the others, i believe the GXR wins. it is so easy to become obsessed and engrossed. you will have fun even as you learn to become a better photographer -- you know what i mean here ;)

E

emyyl

This is a great post! The GRD1 is still the camera I use the most. The camera is special because the package has got so many things right. UI, colors, IQ. I have been waiting for a larger sensor successor.

I passed on the GRD2 primarily because IQ seemed to have taken a step backwards (being a jpeg only shooter). The pictures I see on the net seemed to be more "wooden".

Now the pictures I see from the GRD3 have that additional sparkle over GRD1. Plus more detail and less noise. The extra f-stop is definitely a plus in night photos. I am really impressed. My question is how much better (subjectively)? Is the whole package "special"?

The GXR throws in another twist. The A12 makes the camera clumsy. I have the 21mm adapter and that is one great lens. But I hardly bring it out. Ideally, the GXR should have a 28mm prime and a 35mm prime optional lens/sensor units. Then I can skip the GRD3 and go straight for the GXR.

Gary

M

markpsf

Gary:
You indicate that "the A12 makes the camera clumsy." I'm curious whether you've handled it or just think it looks clumsy or whether you're just referring to the size.
Cam and a couple of other people who've handled it don't appear to think it's clumsy.

Mark

E

emyyl

Hi Mark, I have not handled one as it's not available here in Malaysia yet. I was coming from the angle of portability. For example, the GX200 or DL4, just because of the protruding lens, means you need a larger belt pouch. I have recommended friends to the GX200 and I find them still bringing along their little Sony P&S everywhere instead of the GX200, even though they recognise that the IQ of the GX200 is much better. I guess it would also depend on your body size.

Gary

cam

the GXR with the 50mm is not clumsy. at first, i had a wee bit of an issue with the balance, but quickly adapted. there is a spirit level on the screen as well, to tell you if it's level (not that i ever think to pay attention to it -- god forbid i ever shoot straight). it really does feel good in the hands. though!

as far as pocketable, well, big pockets... not so much an issue if you tend to always have your camera in hand, as i do.

on my way back to return the camera, i took some fantastic metro shots that i never would have with the M8. it made me lust for it again... sigh.

Gary -- there is a wider prime in the works, but it will not be their next module release. however, i did stress the importance of sooner rather than later... fingers crossed!

M

markpsf

I hear a lot of sighing around this one Cam! Remember, life is short, and it's only money!;) I'll get one if you will.

The only remaining question for me is GRD III or GXR S10.

Mark

cam

LOL!

remember, i have the M8 and the R-D1 with favourite lenses make them 50mm equivalents... makes it a lot harder for me to justify (especially as i have gone quite mad with glass purchases). if i had neither, i would buy the GXR in a heartbeat!

just being able to use it for a few days has gotten me out of the doldrums and helped me see again... it is all quite odd.

Ricoh magic?

i believe i read somewhere that Popflash has a try before you buy program... i doubt the GXR will be on it for a bit of time, but i think the GRDIII will be.

although both the GXR and the GRDIII are a little more complex (read: more options), it might be good to check out how it feels in your large hands and whether or not you like the interface.

i personally love the UI and thinks it's brilliant as do many rangefinder users. my boyfriend, on the other hand (used to Canon and Oly's), thinks it's crap.

O

Oxide Blu

i personally love the UI and thinks it's brilliant as do many rangefinder users. my boyfriend, on the other hand (used to Canon and Oly's), thinks it's crap.

Cam -- this is a no-brainer -- get a new boyfriend. :D

I agree with you, the Ricoh cameras have a bunch of options crammed into them, but the menu structure and button functions/layout make it very very very simple and intuitive to use. I used to think Canon's PowerShot/Ixy line was easiest to use, used them for years. But it only one time out with my first Ricoh to become comfortable with it.

M

markpsf

Cam:

As far as your boyfriend goes...well even tho you're not married...my wife's favorite message to couples in counseling is worth noting...."Would you rather be right or be married?"

I'm beginning to think my message about my large hands was misleading.
They are not mutant-like and I'm not 6 feet tall. Long fingers yes but I handled the GRII with ease a few years ago. The S90 is really tiny and, equally important, by placing the lens more or less in the middle has left almost no room on either side. Then there's no grip at all plus a very smooth finish.
People are now talking about what added grips will work with it. That should be an option and not a necessity for a significant number of users.

I also think that I'll be very comfortable holding and handling either the GRD III or S10. The decision there will be based on other differences between them, with the differences in sizes also not a significant variable. The key questions for me still relate to what the tradeoffs are re the zoom lens vs. the faster prime,the processing engine differences, the image stabilization, and the EVF.

As to your boyfriend again...It's too bad he's so equivocal. ;)

Mark

LOL!

remember, i have the M8 and the R-D1 with favourite lenses make them 50mm equivalents... makes it a lot harder for me to justify (especially as i have gone quite mad with glass purchases). if i had neither, i would buy the GXR in a heartbeat!

just being able to use it for a few days has gotten me out of the doldrums and helped me see again... it is all quite odd.

Ricoh magic?

i believe i read somewhere that Popflash has a try before you buy program... i doubt the GXR will be on it for a bit of time, but i think the GRDIII will be.

although both the GXR and the GRDIII are a little more complex (read: more options), it might be good to check out how it feels in your large hands and whether or not you like the interface.

ShiroKuro

GRDII

great thread ...

Cam thanks for taking the time to write all your thoughts . Ricoh did right by giving you one of these cameras to use ... By far the most interesting thread i have read on the GXR .... The fact that the users here have such a passion for photography and willingness to share from their experiences is invaluable ......
From my user experience with Ricoh, the GXR / GRX (Not sure if Ricoh can keep it straight .....; ) ) is my next camera ...with the 50 ,I am certainly up for the challenge .
If for the fact I did not destroy my GRDII I would not be looking for a new digital camera as I was completely satisfied with it. Shooting mostly film this camera was sort of a digital notebook for me and I grew to love the wide angle and its ease of use ... the only camera I have ever used that was so intuitive ... became very natural to use ... The GXR with the 50 will be really interesting for me as I usually shoot a 50 on my M6 .... the fact that other modules are not readily available is not really a concern .Ricoh seems to put a lot of effort into making amazing photographic tools for their customers ,I have no doubt that some interesting things are to come in the future and they won't disappoint . I for one am glad that the 50 was one of their first focal lengths .

Cam I just now realized you are je ne suis pas on flikr ... ; ) Love your work

Last edited:

Irenaeus

LOL!

GRD3 IS available as a demo from Popflash and GXR will be — perhaps by the end of December. Tony and Alex talked Ricoh into this program and it's dead easy: you put down your credit card, they charge you the cost of the camera, you return it in a week or so and they refund all but $10 of your money!

They lent me one a month ago for the birth of our daughter's first baby and it really is a little gem — all the things we'd heard about: easy to be with one all the time, intuitive handling, fast lens, an amazing array of optional settings, wonderful image quality. I'd thought I might be disappointed with that tiny sensor, but, really wasn't. "A bird in the hand," etc.

In short, I liked it a lot and if it weren't for all those other exciting options on the horizon, would have one now. My name's on the demo list for the GXR, however, and....

So THANK YOU Tony Rose and Alex at Popflash! My family and I have LOTS to thank you for and you're at the top of our permanent list of good dealers!!

(PS: I'm not free to post personal pics of our daughter, son-in-law and their wonderful and healthy baby boy, but here are a few others taken on diaper runs and beach walk breaks. Mostly just unprocessed jpegs — hope you like some.) (Tried to erase the wave, which was taken handheld around midnight and is good enough to be at least evocative in DNG form, but couldn't. My apologies...)

Irenaeus

R

rhoehne

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed using 28mm, I thought I'd use it mainly indoors but have found it great to work with while walking the suburbs.